DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting the Terminator MTX TNE212D subwoofers from Amazon. The BOSS R1100M amp is listed as an item that the subs are frequently bought with, and many reviews report success with it. However, the total RMS for the subs is listed at 400W @2-Ohms, while the amp is listed at 825W RMS @2-Ohms.

I could have this all wrong, as I've never purchased an amp or subs like this before, but from what I've read on the subject, it's my understanding that the RMS for the subs and the amp should match or at least come close. I've also heard that it's better to overpower them rather than underpower. However, overpowering by 425W seems like a lot.

So my question is, is the BOSS amp too much for these subs? Or does the amp not actually put out that much power? If so, perhaps that's why people seem to have success with it.

If someone knows of a good amp that is better suited for these subs for ~$100 or less, that would be great too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would not buy that amp! Boss does not make good equipment and I doubt that amp is capable of anything over 300 watts rms based on the internal fuse. Look on Craigslist for a used Alpine, JL, Kicker, or Rockford Fosgate amp. You need a monoblock stable to 2ohms. 500 watts is plenty for those subs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not buy that amp! Boss does not make good equipment and I doubt that amp is capable of anything over 300 watts rms based on the internal fuse. Look on Craigslist for a used Alpine, JL, Kicker, or Rockford Fosgate amp. You need a monoblock stable to 2ohms. 500 watts is plenty for those subs.
It doesn't look like the greatest amp for sure, but a lot of people in the reviews seemed to have good luck with it so I thought there might be something to it.

The Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp goes for $115 on Amazon and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes listen to the previous posters, BOSS= B.S. 100% they are garbage and a total waste of any money you spend. I very much doubt you will be happy with it. Please remember companies such as BOSS can easily buy FAKE reviews on amazon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, well I guess I'll be getting the Rockford amp! It says it's a single channel class D. Is that any different than a mono block?

·
Registered
157 Posts
whats your budget for sub, box & amp? and wiring and install should also be considered. I think you could do way better then both the MTX subs and BOSS amp.

These are $59 retail 12” subs that can easily be bought for cheaper.

You would be better off buying from craigslist something thats actually decent that you will really enjoy.

Most people spend money on a first system and quickly realize they want better SO the money spent on first system set up usually is lost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whats your budget for sub, box & amp? and wiring and install should also be considered. I think you could do way better then both the MTX subs and BOSS amp.

These are $59 retail 12” subs that can easily be bought for cheaper.

You would be better off buying from craigslist something thats actually decent that you will really enjoy.

Most people spend money on a first system and quickly realize they want better SO the money spent on first system set up usually is lost.
I'd like to keep it at or under $300 for everything.
Currently:
MTX TNE212D: $150
Rockford Fosgate R500X1D: $115
LOC: $10
Wiring: $20-$40?

Total: ~$300

I took at look at Craigslist but there's not much around. From what I've read, the MTXs are quite good for the price. I'm certainly open to other options though as long as they don't cost a whole lot more.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
I'd like to keep it at or under $300 for everything.
Currently:
MTX TNE212D: $150
Rockford Fosgate R500X1D: $115
LOC: $10
Wiring: $20-$40?

Total: ~$300

I took at look at Craigslist but there's not much around. From what I've read, the MTXs are quite good for the price. I'm certainly open to other options though as long as they don't cost a whole lot more.
Sealed bundle for $133
The Rockford amp is fine.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_105459_NVX-VSW124v2-VSW124-v2.html

·
Registered
365 Posts
when i started 25 years ago you could hardly get a amp for 300.
call me crazy but this is a great starter set-up throw another 50 bucks at it and you will be much happier. do yourself a favor and stay away from cheap LOC's get something better
like this
AudioControl LC2i Black 2 Channel Line-Output Converter with AccuBASS | eBay

https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/lpv2-series/products/lp-1000-1dv2
https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/ddx-series/products/ddx-12?variant=18101246529
or https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/ddx-series/products/ddx-12?variant=18101246529

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but I went ahead with the MTX Terminator TNE212Ds and Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp. Installed them today and so far so good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.