DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two of these MTX TR7512-22 laying around bnib......ive heard their sq is maybe not the greatest....ive got one IDQ12 in the trunk right now...doesn't hit really too hard....so im looking at another one....should i sell these MTX...or just put them in the car vs. buyin another IDQ?

anyone experience these MTX subs

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody experience MTX TR series subwoofers.....is MTX a crap brand lol? they cost probably 220.00 a pop.....jw any info would be awesome

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
nobody experience MTX TR series subwoofers.....is MTX a crap brand lol? they cost probably 220.00 a pop.....jw any info would be awesome
They were probably 200 bucks the very first day they came out. But am pretty sure their 75bucks each NIB or 50 in good condition.

These where never top of the line from MTX, dont get me wrong MTX makes good woofers but they also make affordable low-grade woofers.

Put those puppys in a ported box and enjoy them, unless you sell them for what you want, otherwise bang the **** out of them.

I think their rating is a little over rated. 500watts on a 93oz ceramic magnet is a little bit tooo much. 500watts is the peak go any higher and risk blowing the coil.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I don't know what a TR is, but I have a 4510 (4500 series 10") I picked up cheap and happened to find the matching .8cf spec MTX sealed for it. Out of a pile of mass brand 10/12 subs I tried (in spec size boxes) it certainly sounded better SQ and had no problem taking the 225rms it was rated for. It seemed similar to a kicker crv I think it is, has that dished alum cone. Anyway, I was surprised since that was their lower sub at the time though they did make even cheaper ones for package deals. One didn't exactly shake the car but no way I will get rid of it, makes a great spare/emergency sub to have in storage. It gets low for a small sealed 10 and is not peaky like most, ideally two would have better output for sure but it worked ok with a 4x50 on highs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ok good to know...thanks for the info
hi i happen to own many MTX subs, old school and the newer lines from 6000s, 8000s, and 9500s ! i had a few of the 7500s a few yrs ago ! and with the right power they will sound great ! not saying there the best but they make good products ! MTX has been making good products since 79' !

if your smart you will try them out ! but make sure you have a amp that will push them ! and a good box i dont mean those run of the mill boxes you buy in any stereo shop / or flea market ! but a good box preferably custom built ! be good if you know someone who can build boxes ! not the neighborhood teenager or ******* that thinks there a box builder ! lol theres alot of those out there i know im surrounded by them !
anyways really try them out and you will be impressed im sure !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome ya considering the guy above said 75 bnib im gonna def build a box and put em to work good stuff thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Awesome ya considering the guy above said 75 bnib im gonna def build a box and put em to work good stuff thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Ported for sure. I had a pair of mtx mxs1204, they were discontinued a few days after being on the market. So I couldn't find any more for a triple 12' sealed enclsoure I had. Got them pretty cheap, I think I paid 50 per sub. It was a good sub and could handle its power rating.

·
Registered
115 Posts

your welcome ! they are good all around subs ! just remember to run good power to them and a " good " box ! im sure you will be impressed with the outcome ! if not let me know ill pick them up from ya ! :D
oh there TE series amps are the way to go or the slightly older TA series ! i have the TE1501s and the earlier 2000s 1501d's ! but the TE's are a bit pricey but will push the power rated or more ! so you defently get what you pay for ! hope go good for ya and like to hear how it goes when you hook em up ! i think you will like for sure though !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ported for sure. I had a pair of mtx mxs1204, they were discontinued a few days after being on the market. So I couldn't find any more for a triple 12' sealed enclsoure I had. Got them pretty cheap, I think I paid 50 per sub. It was a good sub and could handle its power rating.

ya i seen a pair of them in 10"s at a car show a yr or so ago ! and i talked to the guy for a short bit ! i think they are the same wattage as the 7500's ? but i think your right about them being short lived ? its funny though that the 7500's are the same power as the 7000's that were top of the line over a decade ago !!! MTX is still one of my favorite brands !!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Will do.... if i decide not ill remember to let u know .....im gonna push em with massive audio N4
nice ! that n4 pushes good power too ! massive is pretty nice products too ! i think your good with power ! just need a nice box ! as tricky ricky stated they would do nice in a ported enclosure !!! they do do good in sealed applications but id only do that if space is really tight ! other wise id defently port them !

·
Registered
115 Posts
oh ya the wattage on the TR 12"s is 500 watts rms 1000 watts peak ! and the 7500s i had were a little less wattage 400 rms / 800 peak ! they were T7500's but were same power as the old 7000's series ! and they had the grey/silver dish cone you described the 4500's to have, and the 5500, 7500, 8500 and 9500 as well, i have a pair of 5500's 15"s laying around here somewhere too ! they sound pretty good too ! as i have 4x of the 9500 15"s ! :rolleyes: but the 4500's were equal to the kicker comps ! but a little better sounding !!!:surprised:

·
Registered
15 Posts
TR stands for Thunder Round which were replaced by the Thunder 8000. I do have both I have 2 TR7510-44 being run by 2 RT1000d's and yes I know the TRs are rated 400rms but for the most part I gently play them at moderate volumes.

I had 2 T810-22 on 1 RT1000d and it performed well but since I had 2 RT1000d's already and the RTs are 2 ohm stable I couldn't put 1 on each sub(didn't wanna go 4 ohm on each) so I got a great deal on the 2 TRs. Figuring the TRs and Thunders have similar builds they might play well.

The TRs are holding up so far so good :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts