DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just upgraded my amp. and i feel that bass is a bit muddy. not very muddy but just a bit muddy. its a bit muddy for me when comparing it to my portable setup which is an amped pair of shure srh940 headphones on the same iPod i use in my car.

not really sure where my crossover is set since its not numbered. my guess is... my front and sub stage are both crossed at approximately 80-100hz. crossover pot just says 50hz on the left most and 150hz on the right most. i have it a little left of middle which in theory should be 100hz.

is there a general rule on clearing up the lower end based on crossover setting? anything i should try?

car is a ford fiesta hatch. focal v30 installed in stock locations. sub is a focal 21v2 in the trunk. sealed enclosure up to specs. focal fpp 4100 amp. stock HU... no processing. stock HU settings all on 0.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
If the middle (between 50-150hz) is 12 o'clock then set the xover to about 9. That will be about 70hz. Most amps will give a shallow slope ~12db/oct. So a xo of 100hz on a 12db slope means you're hearing the sub well into the 200hz range. That will sound muddy and boomy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the middle (between 50-150hz) is 12 o'clock then set the xover to about 9. That will be about 70hz. Most amps will give a shallow slope ~12db/oct. So a xo of 100hz on a 12db slope means you're hearing the sub well into the 200hz range. That will sound muddy and boomy.
would you recommend trying to set both front stage and sub stage to 70hz or just the sub stage?

also.. i believe that 50hz is at the 730-8 o clock position and 150 hz is on the 4-430 o clock position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts