Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen a few *expensive* multi channel amps here recently with specks like,

4 x 150 rms,

or

190 rms x 6.

am i missing something?

dont midrange/midbass require a lot more power then a tweeter?

wouldnt an amp be more useful with staggered power?

50 x 2, 150 x 2, and 250 x 2 for example.

what are manufacturers thinking?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
ive seen a few *expensive* multi channel amps here recently with specks like,

4 x 150 rms,

or

190 rms x 6.

am i missing something?

dont midrange/midbass require a lot more power then a tweeter?

wouldnt an amp be more useful with staggered power?

50 x 2, 150 x 2, and 250 x 2 for example.

what are manufacturers thinking?
They are thinking that the consumers want "More bang for the buck"
I am with yah brother. I am hitting high 30s (low 40s on a good day) with phenomenal sound quality on 25 watts per channel and 200 watts on a pair of M series 12" Memphis subs in a sealed blow through. Granted it is an older Memphis amp, but power isn't what it use to be. I am all about staggered power. But you can see that by my sig :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
to cater to the people that like to throw as many pairs of speakers in a vehicle. so they can make some mad db's!

like thees

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
An amp like the Leviathan which I owned shortly was great for my needs with [email protected] My midbasses can take a TON of power. The mids and tweeters were 8ohm so that 150w is now 75w or less.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
As BuickGN states, the fact people may be running 6/8ohm tweeters and 4ohm mids, also the majority of car audio users aren't running active (not sure of the % on here) and will be running a Fr/Rr/Sw set up and will naturally want everything to be "balanced" by having all the channels producing the "same" output

·
(((((((In Stereo)))))))
1,330 Posts
An amp w/ staggered outputs will need a separate PS for each pair.

An amp w/ 4 symmetrical channels is more versatile because it can be bridged into dual-mono.

By and large, more people are using a 4ch amp to run 4 speakers front/rear than running a pair of mids and tweets active.

Don't need the extra power on a pair of channels, it's simple enough to turn the gain down.

A 6ch amp can easily be turned into a 4ch staggered by bridging 2 pairs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Until recently I was running a jbl gto 755.6II on a 3way active front and it was pretty kick ass. Something like 4x60 or 70 and 2x105 but i believe it could be run as a 3, 5 or 6 channel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have two RF 551x 4ch amps running my 3 way setup. Look at Sig for equipment. Amp1 is running tweeters and high mids at 4 ohm per ch @ 70W. Amp2 is bridged at 4 ohm per ch @ 275W going to low mids. It is awesome sounding and I am sure it could sound a lot better with some rta tuning.

·
Registered
114 Posts
to cater to the people that like to throw as many pairs of speakers in a vehicle. so they can make some mad db's!
I've got a customer at work that comes by every so often in his Donk'ed out Buick. Suspect he has one of these amps powering his "system"

If I recall he has something like 8 or 10 pairs of 6x9's in this car. All Sony XPlode with gawdy plastic sweeping "grills" painted candy apple red to match the exterior paint. The only other speakers he has are the 2 15" kickers in the trunk.

6x9's in the dash, in the doors, four 6x9's in the center console, and four 6x9's in the rear deck. 6x9's errrwere!!! :laugh:

Plays plenty loud, but sure doesn't sound good doing it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I agree with OP 100%, I would love for an amp manufacturer to make an amp designed for component speakers. Make it a six-channel that can power a pair of three-ways, but could still be used in 2-way config. Add 24 dB Linkwitz-Riley crossovers that can actually go up to 5-8khz (most built-in xovers only go to 500 or 1000 Hz). Might as well put capacitors in the tweeter channels for protection. I don't have the room to have four or five amps in my vehicle (or outboard active crossover modules), let alone all the extra complexity of wiring them and fusing them. Surely there's some boutique amp manufacturer out there looking to find a niche?

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
As BuickGN states, the fact people may be running 6/8ohm tweeters and 4ohm mids, also the majority of car audio users aren't running active (not sure of the % on here) and will be running a Fr/Rr/Sw set up and will naturally want everything to be "balanced" by having all the channels producing the "same" output
I believe this is the proper answer to the question. DIY'ers and people running 2 and 3 way active front stages are in the extreme minority. The general consumer would rather have equal power to all channels to driver their passive comp sets or coax speakers front and rear with a strong sub channel. Sad but true I'm afraid.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i suspect that we "stage" the "power" when we turn gains down and xovers up. how much power do you want in these "stages"? how many stages? too many variables to account for. just find an amp that will adequately power your hungriest "stage" (usually, bass). the rest will work itself out...and, likely, sound better while doing so.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with OP 100%, I would love for an amp manufacturer to make an amp designed for component speakers. Make it a six-channel that can power a pair of three-ways, but could still be used in 2-way config. Add 24 dB Linkwitz-Riley crossovers that can actually go up to 5-8khz (most built-in xovers only go to 500 or 1000 Hz). Might as well put capacitors in the tweeter channels for protection. I don't have the room to have four or five amps in my vehicle (or outboard active crossover modules), let alone all the extra complexity of wiring them and fusing them. Surely there's some boutique amp manufacturer out there looking to find a niche?
JBL Grand Touring Series GTO755.6 II 6-channel car amplifier 60 watts RMS x 4 + 107 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
a/d/s had six and eight channel amps years ago and we all know where they went. I'd figure so few people use 3-ways in their systems these days, the market just wouldn't justify an amp specifically for that duty.

With exception to the few small amp manufacturers out there, companies are really pidgeon-holed to what they can and cannot build from the reality of engineering & production costs versus their profitability in the market. This is especially true today where product life spans are 24 months or less.

I'm running a PDX 4.150 bi-amped to SPX-17 Pros and love them. One upgrade I'd consider is to get another 4.150 and bridge both to the fronts.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
a/d/s had six and eight channel amps years ago and we all know where they went. I'd figure so few people use 3-ways in their systems these days, the market just wouldn't justify an amp specifically for that duty.

With exception to the few small amp manufacturers out there, companies are really pidgeon-holed to what they can and cannot build from the reality of engineering & production costs versus their profitability in the market. This is especially true today where product life spans are 24 months or less.

I'm running a PDX 4.150 bi-amped to SPX-17 Pros and love them. One upgrade I'd consider is to get another 4.150 and bridge both to the fronts.
I dunno, I think they could do it if they thought it through. How many new cars come with component tweeters and midbasses from the factory? Most of the European ones do: BMW, Audi, VW, Mercedes, MINI... Quite a few American and Japanese vehicles as well. Make it six or seven-channel and class-D: Two tweets, four midbass/midrange, and a sub. The crossover could be digital like the JBL MS series amps (selectable slopes and frequencies), and could even offer rudimentary equalization and time delay for the power users, for no added cost. This is a perfect fit into any car that has factory 2-ways up front and a set of rears speakers. Simply drive up to an install shop with your new car, and an hour later drive away with a pretty decent starter system. And a side benefit, it would power a set of three-ways if the owner was so inclined.

All I'm saying is that the trend to integrate electronics has happened in almost every other consumer electronics field, to the point that you end up with a single box and some wires coming out of it. Meanwhile, car audio has been stuck in the 90's for some time (no offense to anyone rocking old-school amps or processors :D)

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I've got a customer at work that comes by every so often in his Donk'ed out Buick. Suspect he has one of these amps powering his "system"

If I recall he has something like 8 or 10 pairs of 6x9's in this car. All Sony XPlode with gawdy plastic sweeping "grills" painted candy apple red to match the exterior paint. The only other speakers he has are the 2 15" kickers in the trunk.

6x9's in the dash, in the doors, four 6x9's in the center console, and four 6x9's in the rear deck. 6x9's errrwere!!! :laugh:

Plays plenty loud, but sure doesn't sound good doing it.
Can you take photos and post 'em for us? There is a guy on my street that you can hear for about 3mins before he goes by...

I think it also has to do with needs and wants. Why not just buy (3) two channel amps ranging from higher to lower power?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

like thees
LOL, you didnt have to make fun of him. Oh wait I think he did that all by himself when he decided to put four tweeters in the rear and no midrange speakers.

Which reminds me I need to move my rear tweeters to the front :(.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts