DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post here. To be brief, I'm wondering how you wire multiple grounds. I'm going to be running 5 runs of 1/0 negative, I currently have one, but will need more. It's drilled through a hole in my cabin and into a ground down spot on the frame itself. If I were to introduce multiple grounds, would I just have to make a huge a** drill hole through my cabin and ground them all to the same spot? Could I ground them to my battery? (Battery is closer than the frame ground, it's a cmax behind my passenger rear seat on the floor in an f150).

Any input is appreciated. For reference, I'm going to be running 17,000 or so watts rms through 5 amps. I have distribution blocks and stuff, but that's pointless if there's not an equal amount of wire heading to the frame as to the block.

· Registered
4,501 Posts
I’d be running a lot of grounds front to rear if all the batterys are at the front and then to the chassis and then earthing all of the amps /processors etc back to the same point, throw a couple down to the chassis as well and a couple to the alt fixing bolts if over 200a which I’d hope it would be

and yes I’d be grounding all the amps back to the lithium bank, the only power coming front to rear will be alt power pretty much and starter power the other way also but that will be easy to sort

if (as I hope) you’re running the xmax lithium with a pair of big alts I would be running at least 1 ground per 150a of alt front to rear from block to rear chassis earth point (so 2 600a alts I’d run 4 grounds and 6 lives plus the chassis to get you a solid ring front to rear) and let the chassis also do some of the work, plus uprating the front chassis to engine

you seem fairly green to this if you don’t know what’s involved with powering such a system

it’ll be total $3-5k+ for batts, alts, cables etc to run all the power you are thinking of… plus labour if not doing it yourself

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d be running a lot of grounds front to rear if all the batterys are at the front and then to the chassis and then earthing all of the amps /processors etc back to the same point, throw a couple down to the chassis as well and a couple to the alt fixing bolts if over 200a which I’d hope it would be

and yes I’d be grounding all the amps back to the lithium bank, the only power coming front to rear will be alt power pretty much and starter power the other way also but that will be easy to sort

if (as I hope) you’re running the xmax lithium with a pair of big alts I would be running at least 1 ground per 150a of alt front to rear from block to rear chassis earth point (so 2 600a alts I’d run 4 grounds and 6 lives plus the chassis to get you a solid ring front to rear) and let the chassis also do some of the work, plus uprating the front chassis to engine

you seem fairly green to this if you don’t know what’s involved with powering such a system

it’ll be total $3-5k+ for batts, alts, cables etc to run all the power you are thinking of… plus labour if not doing it yourself
I'm running a 90Ah cmax battery behind the passenger seat on the ground. So it's conveniently close to all of the amps in the rear seats of the pickup. Have a 290A singer alt as well. So it would be viable to ground the amps to the same point on the frame where the battery is grounded? Which means that access wise, I could use my battery as a common ground point. IE, runs of 1/0 from the chassis and frame to the battery, then from the battery negative to the amp negatives?

· Registered
4,501 Posts
You don’t have enough current capacity for 17k for me, I’d want 40ah per 5k plus 130-150a of alt for each 5k also, so realistically you’re going to be dropping voltage

all amps should be wired direct to the batterys, the only extra current going out would be up at least a pair of 70mm cables for both power and ground from the alt

But you will be suffering voltage drop with 90ah of cmax, I’d double the bank and double the alts if possible as they are only 290a…

· Registered
92 Posts
damn, you are going all in for your first build!

Reactions: Grantimoto

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don’t have enough current capacity for 17k for me, I’d want 40ah per 5k plus 130-150a of alt for each 5k also, so realistically you’re going to be dropping voltage

all amps should be wired direct to the batterys, the only extra current going out would be up at least a pair of 70mm cables for both power and ground from the alt

But you will be suffering voltage drop with 90ah of cmax, I’d double the bank and double the alts if possible as they are only 290a…
Everyone I talked to said 90ah should be plenty for what I'm running. It's not a competition vehicle, just a daily driver. I like bass, but this is mostly a project because I like picking up new skillets. It probably won't actually be used that much. I can also add more lithium if I experience voltage drop

· Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
2,349 Posts
Hey all, first post here. To be brief, I'm wondering how you wire multiple grounds. I'm going to be running 5 runs of 1/0 negative, I currently have one, but will need more. It's drilled through a hole in my cabin and into a ground down spot on the frame itself. If I were to introduce multiple grounds, would I just have to make a huge a** drill hole through my cabin and ground them all to the same spot? Could I ground them to my battery? (Battery is closer than the frame ground, it's a cmax behind my passenger rear seat on the floor in an f150).

Any input is appreciated. For reference, I'm going to be running 17,000 or so watts rms through 5 amps. I have distribution blocks and stuff, but that's pointless if there's not an equal amount of wire heading to the frame as to the block.
What 5 amps are you planning on using?

· Registered
4,501 Posts
Everyone I talked to said 90ah should be plenty for what I'm running. It's not a competition vehicle, just a daily driver. I like bass, but this is mostly a project because I like picking up new skillets. It probably won't actually be used that much. I can also add more lithium if I experience voltage drop
It doesn’t matter if it’s for competition or daily, if you have 17kw you need a supply to run it

Did you ask them what was required to run 10kw of bass or 17kw total?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.