DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a CD a couple days ago that changed my life a bit. Portishead- Roseland NYC. Its a live album recorded in 1997 I believe. Iv'e enjoyed their music for quite some time now. If you haven't checked them out then I would suggest doing so. The album "Dummy" in particular is wonderful, and her voice is absolutely addicting.

There was a song called "Roads" on Dummy that I was particularly fond of. I was exited when I saw that the live album had that track. I popped the CD in my home rig, and listened to it till track 9. All of it was very good, but "Roads" was just at a completely different level. I have never heard a female artist put so much emotion and soul into a song, and I am not embarrassed to say that it made me emotional just listening to it.

So now I am on the hunt for similar albums, live or otherwise, with this quality. Where the artist (preferably female, I am a sucker for them) puts everything into a song or album.

Anyone experience this before? Please share your thoughts!

Heres a short list of what I have that gives me a similar experience:

Nirvana: Unplugged
Loreena Mckennitt: Nights at the Alhambra
Madeline Peyroux: Careless Love
Norah Jones: All studio albums
Diana Krall: All studio albums
Zero 7/Sia: Various albums
Feist: The Reminder
Katie Melua: Piece by Piece
Radiohead: OK computer, In Rainbows, Hail to the Thief, etc

·
Registered
360 Posts
faith no more- king for a day fool for a lifetime
bruce hornsby- halcyon days
dream theater- a change of seasons (title track)
a perfect circle- Mer De Noms
enigma- the cross of changes

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pearl Jam - Benaroya Hall & Live on Two Legs (they have a lot of great bootlegs as well)
Damian Rice - Live at Union Chapel (Lisa Hannigan has the most beautiful voice ever!)

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Most trance music has exactly what you are after. Especially musicians like Armin van Buuren, ones that use some seriously angelic and emotional female vocalists.

Evanescence also does it for me sometimes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love Portishead and I haven't heard the live album. I'm gonna pick it up.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Most trance music has exactly what you are after. Especially musicians like Armin van Buuren, ones that use some seriously angelic and emotional female vocalists.

:)

Another good trance song I heard from a friend is Dreamscape.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alison krauss - new favorite. great for tuning.
I was trying to think of her name the other day! Thank you very much! Going to check that out...

I will keep this in mind, open to pretty much ANY genre

I love Portishead and I haven't heard the live album. I'm gonna pick it up.
Nice! Great to see another fan, I hope you like it.

All great suggestions fellas! Keep them coming...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Great thread. I am an absolute sucker for emotional vocals. To the point where the vocalist forsakes pitch and tune and even allows their voice to break beyond their comfortable range. I know a lot of artists try to fake this now and again, but in general, it is pretty easy to tell when someone is just not into it. I can't stand listening to a singer that's just going through the motions and has zero conviction behind their vocals.

Some of my favorites:
Brandi Carlile - Tragedy (Cello version)
Damien Rice - Blower's Daughter

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
West Indian Girl

The female singer is Trent Reznors new wife....and she's HOT!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts