DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

Figured I'd post my simple sub install because I think its unique and people might need ideas for subs in their mustang. Its two JL audio 13w1v2-8's wired in parallel to a single JX250/1 A/B mono amp. I am using the amp's hi-level input and taking signal from the rear deck speakers. Also using the JL amp gain knob up front.

The subs are installed IB with a 3/4" MDF board that I made, which was definitely the hardest part. I only have 8 gauge going to the amp and its probably putting out 100 watts. Its also upside down but whatever. It sounds surprisingly good for what it is, and its super simple. Gets pretty low too and has plenty of volume.

Anyways, if you have any questions feel free to ask. This is my daily driver and I do not baby it, usually I am driving with about 200 lbs of salt in the trunk for traction up here in the northern winters. The equipment has been holding up pretty good for the past couple years.

Later

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah he is! Big upgrade!

·
Registered
581 Posts
It does not take alot of power to get loud. My sub amp is only 100x2. I have the gain set at the minimum level and my wife can't take the deck's volume knob past 10.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely. Especially with a good efficient install. I've actually ran both those amps before and they are great. Wish I would have kept them. The Centurion X hit harder than a ZED Minilith

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have tips to run aftermarket speaker wire into the doors of '10-14 Mustangs? There is a terminal block right before the factory rubber conduit so I cant run it directly through.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What do you plan on running for your front stage ?
I’m in a similar position.
I have a 2012 Mustang.
I plan on running a 3-way front stage.
Does yours have the midbass in the bottom of the front doors ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The plan right now is all JBL, tweeter and 4" mid in the 6x8 location and 6.5 in the bottom of the doors. I do not have the factory midbass in the bottom I am going to reinforce the door trim panel and mount it directly to it. Might put the tweeter up on the dash pillar. Here is a link I found about drilling out the molex plug:

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Can you get a good look at the terminal? In my VW, I found the appropriate sized pins, and ran the wires to empty spots in the terminal using. No drilling required, but you need empty spaces in the terminal, and you need to make sure that you buy the correct pins.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can get to the terminal but it really is a PITA. Apparently there is enough space to drill holes for new speaker wire. Might be my only option.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I looked at mine this evening.
I cant get the plug out of the car frame side of the passenger door. Seems to be ok on door side. Pulled the grommet/boot, saw wires coming out of the door. Stuck my fingers in door about 3.5” and didnt feel anything except the wires. Didnt take off door panel.
I looking for a set of the factory door midbass wiring harness.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't attempt to take the molex connector out of the car/cabin side unless you have a plan. I popped it out and it was extremely hard to get back in correctly. I think you have to pull it all out like in the link above.

I'm trying to decide whether to forget the 4" and just put the 6.5" in the 6x8 location.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that !
I’m undecided on my front stage.
I have Stereo Intregity M25 and TM65 and Hybrid Audio Legatia L1v2, L4 and Imagine 6.5” components.
Not sure what to use for tweets and midbass. Mids are easy since I have just the one set of 4” mids.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love IB myself!! 133db (on music), single 12, 300w... pretty impressive (and of course, sounds great, clean, and deep!)!

Keep it up!! Not sure I’ll ever go back to a box in my daily again!
IMG_2615.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Didnt know what you were gonna use for the 6x8 adapters.
I used a Dollar Tree cutting board.(About a1/8 or 1/4 thick
Walmart has thicker ones
I used a jigsaw with a scroll blade.
The edges were jagged and I used a Dremel tool with a sanding disk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll probably just use some 3/8" MDF laying around. The doors seem pretty watertight on these cars. Can't say the same for the trunk. I ordered some different subs, actually some neodymium woofers to save some weight and get a little more efficiency. But I'm having second thoughts because they are paper cones and many times I have found my trunk to be considerably damp after rains.

So if anyone needs some rare Eminence 3012LF-4 woofers, let me know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts