DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I installed one side of the 6.5 components as a test being powered off of the factory HU. Above 3/8 volume I was hearing a strange modulation sound, it was wavy, kind of like when you talk behind a fan. Does anyone know what would cause this? Maybe old capacitors on the components?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
So I installed one side of the 6.5 components as a test being powered off of the factory HU. Above 3/8 volume I was hearing a strange modulation sound, it was wavy, kind of like when you talk behind a fan. Does anyone know what would cause this? Maybe old capacitors on the components?

View attachment 273836
So your head unit has speaker outputs and no external amp?

Does it still sound like this with the balance all the way left and then all the way right? Does it only sound like this on the speakers you installed or does the factory side modulate too?

Wondering if this has to do with an unexpected load on the factory head units speaker outputs. Why would the factory head unit cut in and out?

Do you have a multi-meter you can measure speaker coil resistance with? What happens if you measure overall resistance with passive cross-overs attached?

Ge0

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Correct, no factory amp.

I only installed the passenger door side and turned the fade and balance to that speaker. It was only the "new" components that were sounding modulated. Reinstalled the factory speaker and it sounds normal.

I was also thinking it could be a final impedance issue. I'll check what the multimeter says.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts