DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Audison AV10 or TH10 Basso sub in Mustang convertible trunk, spare tire enclosure?

• TH10 Basso, sealed, spare-tire well

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TH10 Basso, ported, spare-tire well

• Voce AV10, sealed, spare-tire well

• Voce AV10, ported, spare-tire well

• Down-fire your 2x AV10's and leave the electronics in the spare-tire well

• Keep your AV10s right where they are

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide on the best subwoofer for my particular installation. I already own a pair of Audison AV10 Voce subs, but I'm flexible about upgrading to a Thesis TH10 Basso if it will improve SQ. My subs are currently in a sealed enclosure, aimed toward the rear of the trunk. I am planning to change the configuration of things back there so that components (Audison Voce amps, BitOne DSP) will be mounted on a rack against the backseat and a single sub will be housed in a custom fiberglassed enclosure in the spare tire compartment. I'm flexible on whether the enclosure is sealed or ported -- whatever gets me the most musical sound quality and most audible with convertible top-down are the priorities. Front soundstage is comprised of Audison Thesis 1.5 Violino tweeters in the pillars, TH 3.0 Voce mids in the factory 5x7" door locations, and Audison Prima AP8 mid-bass in the front doors. I will drive the sub with the Class D 600Wx1 @4ohm channel on a Voce AV5.1k amp.

The question is: Voce AV10 sub or Thesis TH10 sub? And why?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you're going to be lacking output, especially with the top down. Would you consider a corner mounted sub with a LONG port that exits into the cabin area? I've seen that done, and it worked well, but it did take some phasing adjustments through a processor. In fact, that new Stereo Integrity 11 may actually work well ported in this instance. Tiny low tuned enclosure would require a long port.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AP8's in front will be driven by 2 channels of a Voce Quattro amp, and the BitOne will be configured to have the single TH10 Basso playing a fairly narrow range of low frequencies. What about different install configs, such as down-firing the sub toward the chassis of the car in the spare tire well? Wouldn't this help to keep the bass response in the car, despite lowering the convertible top?

Keep in mind: I currently have two Voce AV10s in a sealed enclosure now, wired in series and aimed toward the rear of the vehicle -- I have plenty of output with the 5.1k Class D channel gains set low and the DRC set to -4.0dB. I'm definitely not looking for the kind of bass response that rattles the windows on the car next to me or wakes up the neighbors. Main objective is SQ, to have a subwoofer that acts like chameleon and just blends in with the front stage to fill in the very bottom end.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Downfire will absolutely help. Any boundary loading, since you won't get normal cabin gain. I had zero issues doing a monster, yet simple system in any of my coupes. Only complaints with the Verts have been output. Of course, all mine have been so loud (the car itself), that I didn't do full-on audiophile systems in them

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I would suggest the better ten, ported. sorry I don't know which audison line is the better line..i don't know much about them except they are good gear and the cars with there amps I've heard sounded good. Ported will give you the output your looking for with a single driver, and since its playing a narrow frequency range and doesn't have to cross over high to meet a 6.5 in the door, the "ported boxes sound boomy" argument most have does not apply. I think its a bs argument anyways but that's likely the kind of response "go ported" generates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Lycancatt: Thanks for the vote on the better 10", ported. My installer has also suggested ported for best response. Actually, he surprised me when he said a ported enclosure would be more musical. I guess I've always associated "ported" with a sloppier sound, but it's refreshing to hear a different perspective on this. However, when you ask an Audison dealer this question, they say their better 10" (Thesis TH10) sounds its best in a sealed enclosure with proper volume. We will soon find out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.