DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a question i would like to ask you guys.

i have a 01 mustang and my trunk SUCKS. i have been trying to find out the best possible set up for me and ive narrowed it down to a couple. my question is which do you guys think would be the best. all using a soundstream rubi.2500. and all in a 4 cubic foot box..maybe a tad more tuned to 30-32 herts

1: 2 12" fi btls or audioque hdc3 or rf t2 box facing rear seats

2: 1 15 fi btl facing top of trunk with port facing rear seat tuned to same as others

3: 18" fi btl in an infinite baffle right behing the rear seats. no port.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have a 98 it has the same trunk. there a some pretty large holes behind the carpet in the trunk so ib will be a pain. a pair of 12s will be overkill but will fit the best of your choices. you may need to build 2 two cuft boxes and put them in one at a time. i currently run a single idmax 12 off about 400w.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im really leaning towards the 18" fi btl because, come on man its an 18"!

now my question is what would be the best placement? in rear seat or trunk?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I'm guessing you are going to somehow have to manifold the 18 because I don't recally the pass-thru being all that big on the SN95 body style mustangs. If you want smooth output that will play down to 15 Hz in the car, the IB 18 or a pair of IB 15s would be the way to go. The reason I mention 15s is because my prior experience with IB is that cone area is king.

If you want LOUD, I'd highly suggest considering a pair of 12s, ported, firing through the pass-thru into the rear seats. You can also try folding the seats down, but from what I remember, there isn't much blocking the rear seats on the prior gen mustang.

I don't know that I would recommend the single 15 firing up towards the trunk because you may end up with lots of buzzing. Then again, if you tailgate a lot, this particular setup could be optimal.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
i got a question i would like to ask you guys.

i have a 01 mustang and my trunk SUCKS. i have been trying to find out the best possible set up for me and ive narrowed it down to a couple. my question is which do you guys think would be the best. all using a soundstream rubi.2500. and all in a 4 cubic foot box..maybe a tad more tuned to 30-32 herts

1: 2 12" fi btls or audioque hdc3 or rf t2 box facing rear seats

2: 1 15 fi btl facing top of trunk with port facing rear seat tuned to same as others

3: 18" fi btl in an infinite baffle right behing the rear seats. no port.

#3.....it sounds crazy....let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
866 Posts
You need to do a serious deadening jon and use some foam or wood to cover the holes around the supports (where the seat folds down) like someone else said it has a few decent size holes under the carpet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea it does. theres a guy with 2 18"s in a infinite baffle application in a mustang. looks amazing. im just stuck on getting an 18" for the shear size of it and the power it can take.

im just stuck with what box design to go with. sound deadning isnt a problem i got me whole trunk done and me roof

·
Registered
204 Posts
^^ I was going to say there is only about 13" of vertical opening in the pass through, and the photo above illustrates that, so an IB18 would be pretty much out of the question without some serious work.

If you are just looking for some serious output, then I would look at a band pass for a pair of 10's or 12's ported directly into the cabin through the Mach460 rear deck speaker holes. You would have to remove the factory enclosure that is attached to the underside of the rear deck and build part of the ports out of the box and pipe into the holes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i would not fire any sub at the trunk lid. these mustangs are terrible about rattles. the spoiler is really bad.
I'd never fire any sub at the front due to the cancellation issues you'll face from the echos off the trunk lid. Firing the sub forward isn't gonna help a ton with rattling since subs are omni-directional.

IF you can do the 18, that'd give you the most power. I just have doubts about that thing fitting in your trunk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts