DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got inspired by all the incredible work on this thread:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/92531-show-off-your-midrange-tweet-pillars.html

So I decided to attempt it myself, as part of a complete system overhaul on my 2007 Solstice GXP.

System (install in progress):

Kenwood DDX9906XR- head unit
Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp, bridged to 500 for sub, 150 for midwoofers
Kenwood Excelon 4 channel Amp, 75x4 for midrange, tweeters
Alpine 0850s DSP
Front components: Focal K2 power tweeters and 6.5 woofers, Audiofrog GB25 mids
Rear fill speakers: Peerless TC9FD18-08
Sub: Kicker 12 inch shallow mount
Parts Express tactile transducers (4 in each seat)

I think the A pillars turned out pretty good, better than I expected frankly. My plan all along was to have them wrapped if I couldn't achieve a near factory finish.

as compared to factory pillar

Have to say, I have a new level of respect for those of you who do this for a living. I easily put 20 hours into them.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Those look really good!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got inspired by all the incredible work on this thread:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/92531-show-off-your-midrange-tweet-pillars.html

So I decided to attempt it myself, as part of a complete system overhaul on my 2007 Solstice GXP.

System (install in progress):

Kenwood DDX9906XR- head unit
Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp, bridged to 500 for sub, 150 for midwoofers
Kenwood Excelon 4 channel Amp, 75x4 for midrange, tweeters
Alpine 0850s DSP
Front components: Focal K2 power tweeters and 6.5 woofers, Audiofrog GB25 mids
Rear fill speakers: Peerless TC9FD18-08
Sub: Kicker 12 inch shallow mount
Parts Express tactile transducers (4 in each seat)

I think the A pillars turned out pretty good, better than I expected frankly. My plan all along was to have them wrapped if I couldn't achieve a near factory finish.

as compared to factory pillar

Have to say, I have a new level of respect for those of you who do this for a living. I easily put 20 hours into them.
Awesome! I have the same exact front components as you. I haven't installed them yet but looking forward to that day! Let me know your impressions when you get it all hooked up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! I have the same exact front components as you. I haven't installed them yet but looking forward to that day! Let me know your impressions when you get it all hooked up.
Looking forward to hearing them myself; hope to be done within a week or so. It's hard to find any free time though. I'll definitely update the thread when I'm done and do some basic tuning.

Good job! How are you powering those tactile transducers?
Thanks; I'm using a cheap mini amp (Soundstream) to power the rears and TTs. They are 16 ohm, wired in parallel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great job on those a pillars! What adhesive did you use? And prop rods?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great job on those a pillars! What adhesive did you use? And prop rods?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Thanks! The "rods" are just coated wood screws, screwed through the pillars into HDPE rings/baffels that I made with a router. The grey adhesive is an epoxy putty, used just to ensure the rings didn't move while I stretched fabric over the pillars in preparation of resin.
Most seem to use hot glue and wooden dowels or popsicle sticks, but this method seemed a bit more secure to me.

Oh, and the reason there's so much epoxy on one of the pillars is because when I was cutting a hole in the pillar for the speaker, I accidentally cut into one of the pillars mounting clips on the back side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Getting there.
I used the AF mounting ring, and modded an infinity 2 inch grill to match, in an attempt to match the round chromed vent outlets and instrument cluster.

edit: just noticed the grills are crooked lol. I'll fix that later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost done, just need to tune. Anyone know of a good tuner in the San Antonio, TX area?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh yeah, and sorry, I don't know any tuners. Also, is DVD really the only difference (at $250 more) than the DMX906S? Why did you go with yours?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work!
Oh yeah, and sorry, I don't know any tuners. Also, is DVD really the only difference (at $250 more) than the DMX906S? Why did you go with yours?
Thanks. I'm not sure of the differences between the two units honestly. Kind of a long story but here's the condensed version:
I originally purchased a JVC DVD/wireless Android Auto head unit as part of a package deal with an Alpine DSP for $700. But the seller sent the wrong JVC (a lesser unit than I paid for with no DVD or wireless), so the seller offered to exchange for any head unit in his shop because they didn't have the JVC I ordered in stock (and he suggested the Kenwood DDX9906XR). He sent it out at no charge, then told me to keep the JVC they sent in error for my troubles. This was probably the best customer service experience I've ever had. The seller was Pacific Stereo via Amazon (and no, I'm not affiliated with the seller at all lol).
The Kenwood is a great unit, but I'd never pay full price for it (it's ridiculously expensive).

·
Registered
1 Posts
brother these look painted to me did you wrapped them or painted them ? did you used 2k paint or acrylic paint ? it looks very nice and stock i'm also planning something very similar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. The pillars are painted. I intended to use SEM Colorcoat black, but I found the closet color match was actually the texture coat I used (EZ Liner), knocked down with 800 grit sandpaper, then topped with SEM Colorcoat matte clear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The components work well together. I was a bit worried that the K2 power tweeters would be too harsh, especially since they are mounted nearly on axis, but they aren't. It sounds really good even w/o eq, although the GB25s need to be toned down quite a bit. I'm anxious to get it tuned, and may just end up giving it a shot myself (I have a mic and REW ready to go; just lack the expertise.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts