DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Nice car. Too bad about the midbass, but at least you have a way to integrate the processor figured out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just in case you guys are curious (some of you probably already have seen this in other GM cars)...here is how my CTS-V front door speakers lay out. Nice over 8" diameter with a 6" inner hole opening. I hate Bose...

It's over 8". I'm not centered and it isn't easy holding a heavy DSLR with strobe and measure at the same time.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Looks like a fairly easy fit for most 8-9" woofers with a little massaging. Lucky guy!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So I absolutely hate feeling like I am standing still on a build. My wife had some stuff to do tonight so I got to work on the doors. Let me start by saying that I don't have any certain science to sound deadening. I know there are probably better ways to do it or more efficient ways...I generally just want zero rattling. I kept my previous Subaru from rattling with two 13.5" JL's in the trunk and 6.5" Peerless SLS's in the doors on a car that rattles without the radio on from the factory...so I am following some of the same ideas I had with that car on the CTS-V. As I break the car apart...I'll probably come up with more ideas that may or may not work. I really won't know until I get everything running in the car. Onto the doors...

The factory doors have some deadening to them. They use foil lined strips across the metal of the outer skin and they use a dense panel in between the door and the door card. The door car actually has some really, loose, cheap sheet foam on it as well.

I stripped back the dense and started applying Dynamat Extreme to the door skin effectively/semi sealing the door (even though it technically will flex some). The motor for the window and other elements really prevent paneling the door with some rigid material but with the motorized window...it is going to be a IB setup anyway...so not really worth the time to fab anything.

Dynamat on the door assembly

Dense panel back on with some material to hold the clipped parts still

Inner door card application

Cheap trash foam sheet reapplied

I am purposely leaving right around the speaker area open for now until I get the drivers installed. Next I need to tackle the trunk and rear deck...then move my way back up to the dash.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks like a very thorough job to me - well done. Might need some strategic reapplication, but you won't know that until tunes are playing - looks like a very solid foundation.
That is kind of what I am thinking. Get all of the "known issues" taken care of...then once everything is installed...crank it up and see what I missed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If you ever wondered how much shit is on the rear deck of CTS-V...here it is...its amazing it doesn't all sound like a tin can when you turn the music on. I appears this is all audio equipment that I will be able to later remove. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I got more work done on the Dynamat end of this build out. The rear seat is complete. Now I need to move onto the trunk area.

Rear seat barrier covered.

Bare bottom seat

Bottom of seat covered

Factory dense panel with foam backing reapplied.

Seat assembled

New battery in

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You gonna go infinite baffle with the subs? Thats the one thing I'm always bummed about having a hatchback. If I ever got a car with a trunk I'd go IB in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Looking good man!

I will say that I was very happy running IB in mine. It also helped keep the weight down (relatively speaking).
Thanks!! I have thought about that some more as well. It is almost like the car was built for that kind of setup.

This past weekend I was cleaning up the exterior which is why I went ahead and applied Dynamat to the trunk area.

Painted the chrome in the headlights and the orange marker satin black.
Black plastidip on the grills.
Gloss black vinyl on the hood grill piece.
Tinted tail lights.
Painted chrome trunk trim satin black.

I wanted to keep some red to the tail lights and not have them blacked out completely. I am going to wet sand and buff a little bit more to really get a high gloss on them. I also have a some fogging in the passenger side head light but I know the source...so that will be taken care of tonight. Now I just need to get the side fender vents and window trim taken care of...(and my wheels to come in)

41 - 60 of 359 Posts