DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for checking out my new build thread! My previous build is linked in my sig (a 2015 Kia Forte5 SX). I'll have a few components that are/will be included in this new build, but a lot will be new.

Here is the big nasty.

The truck is a 2015 Sierra Denali. I took me weeks to find the right one as I was looking for very specific options. I had to have the 6.2L V8, and I really wanted the 8-speed auto. That limited me to 2015-up trucks as the 2014's did not get the 8-speed. I also reeealy wanted it to have all of the options - trailer brake controller, Forward Collision Alert, Sunroof, and power sliding rear glass. I wasn't overly concerned with the color, but I dreamed of getting the Iridium Metallic Paint. Well, dreams come true it seems. I got one with everything I hoped and dreamed about, and it has a folding tonneau cover and only 5000 miles on the odometer to top it off.

Due to necessity (and my extreme lack of patience), I have already replaced the stock Bose 6x9's up front with the incredible Satori MW16P-4 6-1/2". The drivers side 6x9 was blown (I don't know if it was like that when I bought it, or if I blew it since buying it). I have issues with driving a car every day and not having music, so I ordered mounting brackets from Amazon Friday night and they arrived Monday (along with a couple of other necessities - Husky all-weather mats, etc). The door panels in this truck aren't the toughest I have dealt with, but they like to put up a fight. Hope I never have to remove them again....

I broke a rule in my haste and didn't take any pictures. :shy::shrug: I will take more pictures from now on......I will......seriously.

I used some Uxcell 394mil foam to insulate the Metra 82-3005 bracket from the door metal. It's nice and thick, but compresses well and does a great job of insulating the bracket from the door. I also used DEI 050330 Boom Mat between the driver and the bracket to provide a rain guard and further insulation. I'm going to leave it like that for a few days and see how it plays out. I may go back and add a couple of pounds of duct seal to the brackets if I hear any funny business.

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what I'm planning:

Equipment -
Satori MW16P-4 6.5" midbass (already installed)
SEAS Prestige MCA12RC (H1304) 4.5" midrange
A/D/S/ 206-0101 soft dome tweeters
Stock Head unit
2 x Mosconi AS 200.4's
2 or 4 Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofers - probably only 2...but who knows?
Mosconi 6to8v8 processor with RCD

I already have everything but the subs. I'm hoping that selling my previous JL Audio 13w6's from my Kia will more than pay for the new subs. I really wanted to go with the JL Audio 8w7's, but I don't think I can get them to work due to their super deep baskets and enormous motors. If the Tang Band W8-740P's don't look like they will work, I'll probably look at the Tang Band W8-1363SB or Eminence 8" High Excursion DVC. I really feel like the subs will be the trickiest part of this build.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've been thinking about getting rid of my 05 Silverado 3/4 ton DMAX. Looking at the Sierra Denali. A dealership nearby has 3 equipped the way I want. Two are monotone black and the other is white with chrome. I really like the black trucks! I just can't get by the price of the Denali, plus I'm enjoying no note, the cheap tag, relatively cheap insurance and at 130k miles the diesel is just getting broke in. Doesn't help that I will have a child driving in 2 years, so the wife will be wanting a new car since her Maxima will be handed down.

Great looking truck. Enjoy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nice truck! I recently bought a '14 Denali 1500 5.3L. My Silverado SS had a 6.0L and I really wish I had gotten a 6.2L. But I had fuel economy on the brain since my SS got about 12-15 MPG. Good luck with the install!

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A slight change of equipment plans:

Getting a Helix Pro DSP, so that will go into the truck and the Mosconi will most likely end up in the Camaro. I may end up going with 1 (or 2!!!!) JL Audio 13TW5's. I just don't know if I can settle for anything other than big subs. Maybe I need to listen to Claydo's car again.

Also, I'll probably be doing my brother's 2013 Tundra CrewMax in the next few days - should I do a build thread for that one?

·
Human (not a robot)
2,377 Posts
A slight change of equipment plans:

Getting a Helix Pro DSP, so that will go into the truck and the Mosconi will most likely end up in the Camaro. I may end up going with 1 (or 2!!!!) JL Audio 13TW5's. I just don't know if I can settle for anything other than big subs. Maybe I need to listen to Claydo's car again.

Also, I'll probably be doing my brother's 2013 Tundra CrewMax in the next few days - should I do a build thread for that one?
That sounds like a good system design plan.

And absolutely you should put up a build log for the Tundra!

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting a little concerned that this build thread may turn into a build log similar to Daniel (chithead) thread where I collect and swap gear for a year before actually getting started......:p....LOVE YA CHIT!

So, I have decided to change a few things based on some recent purchases. I have decided that to be different (maybe), I will indicate what has changed, and why I decided to go a different route.

Equipment -
Satori MW16P-4 6.5" midbass (already installed)
SEAS Prestige MCA12RC (H1304) 4.5" midrange - AudioFrog GB25 (note 1)
A/D/S/ 206-0101 soft dome tweeters
Stock Head unit
2 x Mosconi AS 200.4's
2 or 4 Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofers - probably only 2...but who knows?
Mosconi 6to8v8 processor with RCD - Helix Pro DSP MK1 (note 2)

1. Note 1 - This was a changed based on installation aesthetics. I really, really like the Seas, but the Audiofrogs should give me similar performance in a much, much, much smaller package. They may even go into the factory dash locations...
  2. Note 2 - Obviously nothing wrong with the 6to8v8, but I wanted 10 channels, and it has more bands of EQ per channel - makes it a little more flexible. I may end up with a Hertz Mille component set in the rear doors, so I'd like the ability to really tune them. As stated previously, The 6to8v8 will most likely be shifted to the Camaro, and the P99RS will bow out.
I haven't committed fully to doing rear fill - reason being that it presents an amplifier problem. I currently only have 8 channels of amplification, and would then need 9 or 10. My only unused/spare amp right now is an old Alpine 3527S (25Wx4) and I'm not terribly enthusiastic of trying to work it in. Maybe I can find a Mosconi AS100.2 for a decent price to keep everything copacetic.

Attachments

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm starting to think I should change the name of this log to "What the heck was my old fat butt thinking I could still do this...."

Anyway, updates:
I made some budget conscious (and budget oblivious) decisions and changed up the gear a bit.

Here is what is going in for iteration #1:
Stock Head unit
PAC-AmpPro AP4-GM61 amp interface (Optical Out)
Helix DSP Pro mk1
A/D/S/ A206-0101 tweeters
Mosconi A Class
Audiofrog GB25's
Satori MW16P-4
Mosconi AS2100.4
JL Audio 13TW5v2-2
Hertz Mille MLK-2TW in rear (maybe)
Pioneer GM-D9705

Also - 2nd battery, isolator, sound deadener, etc....

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I'm starting to think I should change the name of this log to "What the heck was my old fat butt thinking I could still do this...."

Anyway, updates:
I made some budget conscious (and budget oblivious) decisions and changed up the gear a bit.

Here is what is going in for iteration #1:
Stock Head unit
PAC-AmpPro AP4-GM61 amp interface (Optical Out)
Helix DSP Pro mk1
A/D/S/ A206-0101 tweeters
Mosconi A Class
Audiofrog GB25's
Satori MW16P-4
Mosconi AS2100.4
JL Audio 13TW5v2-2
Hertz Mille MLK-2TW in rear (maybe)
Pioneer GM-D9705

Also - 2nd battery, isolator, sound deadener, etc....
I'm in the same boat working on my 16 regular cab. I am about 60% done. It's just getting the motivation to finish.

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it was a buddy of mine that kickstarted me into getting the ball rolling on my build. He has a 2018 Silverado and he took a week of vacation to get his install going. I don't have a week of vacation to burn on doing an install, so I'm doing mine as I can on weekends and weeknights.

He helped me out a ton by providing me a nice template and some 1/4" birch to get started on the amp rack.

Also forgot to add in the parts and pieces that I got a 2-1/2" Seat Lift Kit to make it easier to put the 13tw5 under the rear seat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I hear ya, trying to piece it all together a few hours at a time is NOT the business. Where are you putting the rack and how are you attaching it?

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back seats out, we can see the luxurious sound deadener that GM puts in......

Took all of that and the trim out and started test fitting the template. Also went ahead and installed the seat lift kit.

So....my buddy does not have the power back glass and he also decided to do a middle seat belt delete. I need that seat belt, and I have the power rear glass, so some mods will be required.

·
More ambition than time
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear ya, trying to piece it all together a few hours at a time is NOT the business. Where are you putting the rack and how are you attaching it?
I will be attaching the amp rack to the back with rivet nuts. The amps will then be attached to the rack with T-Nuts.

The back of the modified board with a couple of T-Nuts placed.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Damn it's way harder in 4 door. I just used the 3 oem bolt on the back floor to hold my amp rack in place

1 - 20 of 34 Posts