DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i wanted to say Hello! Im happy to be a part of this forum, I've been creeping for quite a while and you guys have helped me tremendously over the years.

now to business.....

I finally got sick and tired of the terrible stock stereo Nissan decided to incorporate into my 370z.

I bought a set of Polk db6501 components a few months and have been running off my stock HU. not a great idea I know, but i had to do something for the meantime. Assuming these are not ruined, i will be keeping them, if they need replacing, i will either go with Focals or Polk MMs, depending on price ($200ish)

Im replacing the stock HU with the Pioneer AVIC-X930BT
I will also add a back-up camera, Metra access steering wheel controls and a pioneer ipod cable.

I plan to add a slimline 10" sub or a regular 8" subwoofer and amp. Ive built a box that fits into the spare tire and if my calculations are correct, I have 0.375 cu.ft and a mounting depth of 3.5". This is where i need help. I calculated the volume of the sub box by filling it with sand and then using a 6x6x6 box to measure the sand. Well, I counted 3 boxes full, so that would be .375 cu.ft., right? ive got pics below....

With the top, the box will sit about 5/8" off the foam top. I plan on adding a carpeted false floor using 1/4" birch plywood and 5/8" mdf(for bracing/raising).

Im not exactly sure how i am going to get enough clearance with a sub grill to remain flush with the rest of the floor....but ill figure it out as i go.

im really ot sure about what sub to get, especially if my calculations were correct with the cu.ft.

also, the amp is TBD as to the sub selection and if i decide to upgrade to Polk mm's

Any advice is appreciated, hopefully this helps someone else out as well, this is my first custom build with the exception of some simple installs.

I Currently have or have on order:
Headunit
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
Scosche NN04B 2007-Up Nissan Car Stereo Connector
Pioneer CD-IU51V AV iPod/iPhone Cable for Pioneer AV and Navigation models

Front
Polk db6501 (if theyre blown from using my stock hu, then MMs)

Sub
I need help deciding on what sub to get with the dimensions of the box made.

Amp
Im looking to either run just the sub or both the sub and my front speakers, i do not have any rear speakers. Id like to spend no more than $250 on an amp if i am going to run my entire setup.... suggestion are more than welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Its hard to tell from the pics, but do you believe there is any way that you could spare another inch in mounting depth? The new Alpine Type R 8" are great for small enclosures, but the mounting depth is 4.5". Are you dead-set on the polks? You can find much better quality for the price. And do you have an amplifier or will you plan on running the components off of the headunit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its hard to tell from the pics, but do you believe there is any way that you could spare another inch in mounting depth? The new Alpine Type R 8" are great for small enclosures, but the mounting depth is 4.5". Are you dead-set on the polks? You can find much better quality for the price. And do you have an amplifier or will you plan on running the components off of the headunit?
The only way i could squeeze another inch is to build the box up and raise the floor another inch. I'm trying to keep it stealth and retain what little cargo room i have. Id much prefer not to do that.

The type r 8 looks great, but i dont think that would work. That or the ID8 were my first two choices.

Im looking at either the JLw3 8(assuming theres enough clearance)
the Memphis Reference shallow mount 10", 15-mr10d4
the Pioneer shallow mount 10, TS-SW250IS4
and the Kenwood KFC-XW1000F....
any other suggestions are much appreciated!!!!!!!!

I listen to mostly rock and rap, so some bottom end would be great!

I already have the polks up front, but if they need replacing then, no, im definitely NOT set on polks, they were just recommended.

I do not have an amp. If i can find a good one to run the components and sub for about $250, then ill do that, otherwise, I just need an amp for the sub (under $250).......

thx again

·
Registered
810 Posts
I second the alpine fi you can get the space for it, or even the pioneer slim sub "forget the model"

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only way i could squeeze another inch is to build the box up and raise the floor another inch. I'm trying to keep it stealth and retain what little cargo room i have. Id much prefer not to do that.

The type r 8 looks great, but i dont think that would work. That or the ID8 were my first two choices.

Im looking at either the JLw3 8(assuming theres enough clearance)
the Memphis Reference shallow mount 10", 15-mr10d4
the Pioneer shallow mount 10, TS-SW250IS4
and the Kenwood KFC-XW1000F....
any other suggestions are much appreciated!!!!!!!!

I listen to mostly rock and rap, so some bottom end would be great!

I already have the polks up front, but if they need replacing then, no, im definitely NOT set on polks, they were just recommended.

I do not have an amp. If i can find a good one to run the components and sub for about $250, then ill do that, otherwise, I just need an amp for the sub (under $250).......

thx again

I also have a 370Z. I constructed an sub box out of fiberglass to fit Alpine SWR84D 8" sub in the rear hatch area where the factory foam piece is located. The sub box is only 1/2" above the normal height of the hatch area. This area includes the one sub, amp, & signal processor. I can post pics if your interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm also building an MDF box for my 2012 sport although for some reason, I expect to hit .45 cubic feet (very careful calculation, with considerable attention to detail). I would be done already if my fabrication partner would get back into town.

In any case, as you know you are severely limited in 10" driver selection. I went with the Pioneer TS-SW251 which I am staring at right now.

You probably realize that you have to allow space for the pole vent. General rule of thumb is that you can go as little as 1/2 of the diameter of the pole vent so even the Pioneer at 3 1/8" depth is cutting it mighty fine. (One inch is preferable for space between the woofer and the cabinet rear.

Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did use the kenwood kfc-wx1000f for probably about 6 months, and I was a great little sub considering I bought it in a box for $30. However, I don't think that it would provide the bottom end you were looking for.
I mean, it took TONS of power in a tiny sealed box (like 600w rms daily) but it just never hit quite low enough for me. My IDMAX handles that quite nicely now ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do the 370's have the same corner room as the 350z's? In my 350z, there was a lot of space to work with in the corners. Ended up fitting two IDMAX12's back there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do the 370's have the same corner room as the 350z's? In my 350z, there was a lot of space to work with in the corners. Ended up fitting two IDMAX12's back there.
No. The area behind the seats is much smaller due to the smaller wheel base and shorter over lenght of a 370Z. Also, the corners are somewhat smaller since the hatch area is shorter in the 370Z.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love the JL stealthbox. Got one lightly used for $450, and the fit and finish is great. Looks OEM, and thats very important to me. Didn't hook it up yet so I can't vouch for the sound, but i am expecting it to sound pretty good. I got a HD900/5 so I will not be throwing a lot of power at it, but i'm going more for SQ. Front stage JBL 608GTI mids and Morel MT-23 tweets. This was a great combo in my Mazdaspeed3.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Curious about tweets... I haven't popped mine open yet to measure what I can actually squeeze into the stock locations. But I'd rather not cut anything if I can help it. Need something to mate with the Dyn mids I'm getting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts