DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make this wire burn? I was unscrewing my amp positive terminal first (I usually don't do that) and a car sped by and shook my car. I looked back at the car and when I looked back at my amp it was smoking, a lot. I cracked it open and this is what I found. Is this as easy of a fix as I'm thinking?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Looks like you may have only smoked a ground wire (Did this to a friends old Blaupunkt). Likely when you touched the case with the screw driver - this was the path of least resistance. Strip the wire and solder it back in place - you have a 50/50 chance of it working so you might as well try

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to add when I stripped the wire, most of was gone. I just kept stripping empty casing. The remaining wire is too short to resolder. I'll probably just use a random piece of 20 gauge to solder back into the amp.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Get to it and let us know if you brought it back from the dead

·
Registered
183 Posts
Most like you had touched amp’s chassis by positive wire and blew out this thin jumper.
Amp will work even without this wire but this wire has to be soldered back, this wire improves shielding properties of chassis. Be accurate with soldering, you don’t want to remove the board and all transistors from heat sinks. In worst case scenario you can solder this wire to any point marked as GND. But ,just in case, do check by multimeter that there is 0 Ohm conductivity between old and new GND points.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It looks to me like the solder connection failed when the short happened.

Honestly the shielding on the wire looks decent....

The problem is that you said there was a lot of smoke. I would say this wire didnt generate much smoke and there is a good chance something else is burnt you dont see.

GOod luck

~JH

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You can solder it right there where the ground terminal is soldered or directly to the gnd terminal

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Resolder end back to original GND point on the board. DO NOT attempt this with while connected to car battery / distribution block- Obviously! Likely the easy fix. BOL to you.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
next time unhook power to the battery before messing with any amp, heh?? good luck..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts