DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started after the shop I had install the touchscreen screwed me bad. I hadn’t had a system for almost 15 years the advancement in tech was a bit overwhelming at first but I learn quick. My biggest obstacle is that I can only work on it a couple hours a night after work so I’m chipping away little by little.
My biggest goal is to do everything right. Solder, ferrules, the whole nine.
This head unit… meh. Honestly, if I knew what I know now I would have never gone with it. Too many headaches. I’m thinking of swapping it for an iPad in the future.

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

3 way Infinity Kappa 603 and 303 upfront
Coaxials in rear doors
I absolutely love these kappa 3 ways. It feels like im listening to songs for the first time again.
I ran 12g speaker wires to all doors, sound deadened doors and lift gate.
I am currently using a LC7i which I have installed in my center console storage bin. I will be switching it to a Fix-86 if I can’t get the output RCA’s to work on this stupid headunit. If they work then it’ll be straight to the twk-88 which I’ve already pre wired the control knob.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Between the captains chairs is a kicker CompR 12” downfire enclosure. I didn’t buy it with the knowledge of it fitting but when I realized it fit, and perfectly at that, there was no question that’s where it was going.
So what is going on in the top picture you ask? Well the middle of the floor isn’t flat so even though the sub is inset it was still making contact with the floor. I own a granite fabrication shop, so I grabbed a piece of quartz cut it to size and put the box on top of that.
problem solved! Kinda, now the box is jumping up and down and using screws was not an option so I used a thicker piece of quartz to essentially make a cap over the box to weigh it down. Super strong Velcro on bottom quartz, sound deadening underneath top quartz and I’m going to eventually wrap it in suede in the future.

I can’t believe how much of a difference capping the box in stone made in the sound quality. It was the best thing I could have thought of.
Please Don’t mind the wires lol, I’m currently in the process of building my amp rack and I’m waiting until then before I clean them up and hide the rest of the wires.
Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk Car
Automotive design Automotive tire Ventilation fan Vehicle door Gauge
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk Car
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive design Automotive tire Ventilation fan Vehicle door Gauge

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX
414 Posts
It's good if you're happy, but if it were me...I'd hope you don't have to stop short and that quartz becomes a battering ram.

And, it's a shame that they installed the volume control knob by partially obscuring the Caddy logo and they didn't cleanly secure and hide the wiring.

I also hope they cut open the pillars behind those "bolt-on" a-pillar pods to give the mids more air space to breathe and play as low as they're likely capable.

Reactions: LiquidClen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like how you think lol. Quartz won’t go anywhere both seats need to be folded all the way in order for it to lift up. Can’t slide either because it has a lip on front and back sides and is tightly fitted over box. Im also building an exact copy of the kicker enclosure out of quartz. Hearing the SQ got me thinking, quartz should have a few advantages over a MDF box. If anything it will definitely be unique lol.
The entire install you see in the pictures was all me. I took the truck back after they charged me $600 to install the headunit and all they did was connect a single harness, which I could have easily done myself but My thinking was I want someone who knows what they’re doing. So yea lesson learned.

My OCD was on top of the knob placement as well. I actually wanted it more forward. My original plan was to go right on top of the logo but the latch mechanism is in the way. I decided on that spot because they way I sit in the truck, the knob sits right at the web between my thumb and index finger. Any further back and it’s basically in my palm and there would be a lot more accidental volume movement. The other issue is that the mat is all rubber with thin metal strips and I knew if I tried to drill a 5/8th hole thru them they would just end up bending.

The wires I’m in the process of cleaning it up. My thought was to make sure everything works well and consistently because at that point I still wasn’t very confident if I was gonna get everything working so I figured I’d save all the cosmetic details for last.

And no I did not cut the back of the pillar. Thank you for the advice. It is now on my to-do list!

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
Nice work and nice build, (and I could care less about a few messy wires hidden under a seat)...!

But I do want to hear more and see more pics about your A-Pillar speakers....

Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I appreciate you!
The pillars are a game changer imo theywere Designed to focus the sound into the middle of the truck. I found them at Www.custompillarpods.com conveniently.
I took the advice and cut the back of the stock pillar and put the foam that comes with the NVX baffles in the area behind the pods. It definitely brought the mids out to the front much better.
I’ve also decided to go with the Alpine ILX-F511. Comes out in February and is the hi-res version of the 411. This Tesla style headunit has become increasingly frustrating.
Ive also ordered a TWK-88 to dip my feet into the DSP world. And to keep me busy I’m playing with another android radio until I can order the Alpine lol. Of course it’s 1/8” too big for the dash kit so I’m in the process of retrofitting it. This car audio thing has been the most beautiful rabbit hole I’ve ever stepped into. I was kidding myself thinking I was gonna connect A to B and be done with it lol.
Office equipment Tableware Automotive design Computer hardware Gadget

Automotive design Output device Office equipment Remote control Gadget

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Looks great so far. The link to the pillar pods is not working?
Do you know if the new Halo has optical out?
No, the new Alpine iLX-509 & iLX-511 Halo head units do not have a Digital Optical out. :( But the new Alpine "Status" system head unit does. It's the new less expensive "a la carte" system just below the uber high-end 3rd Gen F#1 Status system. They finally gave the Halo units "HD" displays, too.

Hopefully the OP will get his new Alpine Halo head unit soon. The add-on wireless RUX-H02 Bluetooth remote Master Volume/Subwoofer knob looks good, too. You can mount it to either side of the Halo touchscreen or separately in a panel/console.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts