DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm working on a few different subwoofer setups in my cars right now, and I really wanted to have a solution that's easy to remove if I need to take the sub out. I didn't really like banana plugs in general. The speakon connectors looked nice, but they're pretty bulky and can get expensive. I may need a right angle for one in a downfiring sub.. so I was thinking there has to be a better way. I started looking for XT60 panel mount connectors, and then checked out some of the 3D printing sites.

One of the first ones I found I just tried in a box, and it seems pretty good. I'm not super thrilled with how the XT60 goes into the printed part as I had to shave ridges and things down on the connector. But this is what it looks like:

Yellow Line Wood Gas Electrical wiring

Not too bad, uses a screw in the back to hold the connector from slipping out. But, I was thinking it'd be cool to find another design, so I found a recessed panel mount one, but it attached with a big 3d printed screw, which was kinda neat, but I wanted more of a traditional mounting style, and to have a smaller hole. So I modified it and came up with this:
Hand Automotive tire Finger Wood Rim

Wood Bottle cap Grey Hat Automotive wheel system

It's recessed, and there are screws on each side which lock the connector in. I made the flange bigger with 4 screw holes. I may make the flange a little bigger and countersink the holes as well. But the hole needed is 1" for the main part, and the body is about 3/4" deep. I maybe modify this one and make an end cap that just secures the XT60 that way so I don't need screws. This design is nice because you can replace the XT60 if it wears out.

What do you all think, useful or nah?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe , but I think you will find the 3d print won't be airtight without some coating , most prints I have done haven't been able to hold water without leaking so I would imagine the same with this.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe , but I think you will find the 3d print won't be airtight without some coating , most prints I have done haven't been able to hold water without leaking so I would imagine the same with this.
I think the part that would leak air would be where the XT60 slips into the printed part. Some silicone would fix that right up. I can't imagine the rest leaking, since it's printed at 100% infill and all the walls are at least 3mm everywhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just picked up a bag of these:

They are panel-mount XT60s in black... might be easier to get attached to a printed bracket as it's got the "wings" on it with nuts already installed.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uhh... on the second one, the one that's round and recessed... is that a make XT60 in there, and doesn't it need some clearance for the shroud on the female connector?
Yeah it actually does have some clearance. It’s tight but it works! I may order some of those panel ones and mess with em.

·
Registered
2006 Accord 4 dr Alpine 149BT PG X100.4 X1200.1 (2) JLw6v2
93 Posts
I've been using them all over my car. You might consider using XT90 If you're doing more than like 800 watts to the sub..
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Carabiner Bicycle part Electrical wiring

·
Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
1,691 Posts
I had @DeLander make me a similar piece for my mti box and it came out great. I wasn’t able to use it unfortunately as this sits directly on the trans tunnel/highest part in my truck and depth was an oversight on my part. I epoxied everything together before i realized the issue.

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts