Discussion Starter #1
Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 6 1/4, 15.9
Mounting Cutout (IN.,CM) 11, 27.8
Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 1, 28.3
Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 4.6, 130
Min Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 1.75, 49.6
Max Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 2.25, 63.7
**Port Volume Excluded

Hello. I am building my first enclousure and would like some assistance. I have two Kicker 12in Comp VRs, powered by a Kenwood KAC 9105D amp. I would like to build a sealed box though am open to the possibility of going ported. (It is not my intention for this thread to become a ported vs sealed argument. Please do not make it so.)

My first question is: how does the size of the box affect SQ and loudness? What is the difference between a 1 cuft box and a 4.6 cuft box? Size is no problem for my car, it can be as big as I want it to be but I don't know what the optimum size is.

Should the box have an airtight divider between the subs or can they be in the same space? I read online that even if you have two subs of the same type and size, they should never be in the same airspace. How true is this?

Does the shape of the enclousure make any noticable difference in the SQ or loudness?

The main reason I would rather build a sealed box over a vented one is that sealed is simple. Calculating the size of the vents and tuning them is something that I have no experience doing. How much more difficult is building and tuning a ported box over a sealed ones.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to building enclousures. Any general tips or advice regarding the actual build would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i will try and give you a few answers to the things that i know. shape of the box doesn't make any real difference. i build lots of fiberglass boxes and many shapes. i got bored of square boxes. you copied a few numbers wrong sort of. kicker has the box size in cu. ft and liters
sealed box volume: 1.0-4.6 cu. ft.
ported box volume: 1.75-2.25 cu. ft.
that's per sub

it is not that hard to build ported boxes there are a lot of calculators to do the math for you. check bcae1.com it's got a lot of info

google this guy program i like this one you put in your sub info and what you want it tune at and bam.

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you can, try to stay away from a cube shape. If you want real simple, go to home depot and get 12 in. x 48 in. Concrete Form Tube-65470062 at The Home Depot Cut apiece of 3/4" MDF for both ends, and secure them with glue and screws (pre-drill your holes as to not slpit the MDF). Cutout one end to mount the sub. On the other end Precision Sound Products. Its just a simple sub enclosure. Just cut the concrete tube to the length you need to get the correct air space. Then do a lot of reading and research for you next build. If you want indepth help or info, or ideas or anything, PM me I don't mind helping you out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts