DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the rs150 mids hoping for a HUGE increase in sq. going from pos powerbase mids, but there just isn't. there like night and day when ran fullrange but when crossed at 3k or so the difference is only slightly better for the rs150. could i have messed the mid up in the debucking process, since the back plate came off and had to be glued back on. or does it just take a good ear to hear a diff between mids?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have mine in custom built kicks, 3.4khz to 160hz, with LPG tweets 3.4khz & up.
No EQ needed in the truck.

A good install is key, since not much works its best out of the box.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think if you messed something up to the point that it would be audible, you would know it. The voice coil would be scratchy, sound like it has static, etc.

What is the rest of your equipment? How much power are you giving them?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my deck is a eclipse 8443, running through a ,says under breath: audiobahn ax303p xover :( its the only one that would fit were i wonted it to, and for an amp i have a autotek sx4160. its crossed at 200 6db slope and around 3k 18db slope and its in a pod in my kicks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol you know i hate to say this after posting this thread, but i went out and listed hard for about a hour with only good recorded cds. and there is a diff a pretty big one :p . its kinda hard having to switch back and forth between the speaks with the balancer but doing that i can hear a big diff between them. the voices are definitely more clear it has alot more high end up to 3k or about that,cant tell were its at since it goes form 2k to 8k and thats the only marks on the xover. so i put it right just above 1/4 so that should be 3-3.5k~. any way i take back my post lol. tnx for putting up with my little rant :blush:

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Perfectly normal... most of the time better speakers just buy you the "potential" for better sound. It's up to you to go and find it :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is my own experience and I havn't read of anyone else being this way, so take it with a grain of salt. It always takes some time for me to hear a lot of difference when upgrading. Of course I can hear obvious freq response differences, but after EQing the more subtle differences come in time. After listening to the better speakers for a while, then switching back to the old, the differences become more obvious. To me it is hard to notice the 'clearer' sound when I'm accustomed to something that isn't as resolved. But when I'm accustomed to a cleaner sound and listen to something that doesn't perform as well, it becomes obvious. That is the true test for me. If I don't notice much of a difference, I keep the one I prefer and move on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts