DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago on the forum, I posed this idea but it never took off. I thought I'd show everyone again since we might have some people here that can make it a solid reality. Here's my line of thinking:

We can build a high quality line of amps that connect to each other like building blocks! This modular design will allow someone to add or subtract from their system without any major new purchases, and as a result we can focus on ultimate sound quality while actual power needs can be hand chosen by the user from a selection of possible options. Here's some pics to re-ignite the fire under the idea:

If this picks up any interest I can start working on other extrusions. What does this generation of DIYMA's finest think?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think the idea is that the amp's them selves do not have an internal power supply. It looks as though the small "amp" in the 3rd picture is the power brick so to speak. You run only one +, -, and remote wire, and the amps piggy back off each other and receive power through the connections on the side.

Seems like a neat idea, so you can mix and match the amps you need, and they connect to each other seamlessly. A small 2x25 for tweets, 2x75 for mids, 2x100 for midbass, and 1x500 for subs, would be a nice somewhat all-in-one solution, or it would at least look like it.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The amps do have a power supply, in my mind. What you see is the "bus" for power, ground, and remote to pass from one amp to another as a distribution item. The "brick" idea is about right...you put that on whichever side you need the amps to have power. This would eliminate the need for nasty power distribution blocks, and each amp can safely pull from this bus in your stack.

You can also customize the amps to your desire, via the plexi panels to handle your own logos or materials. It would be pretty easy to build these since extrusion machines simply need to extrude tons of the same shape...and then you can cut whatever you need off the extrusion to make whatever amp you need. I'd be a fan of pure amplification w/ gain on these, to simplify things. You could easily make the settings adjustable underneath the trim panel above.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I'd be up for it but power output would have to be adequate. Also need to make sure they don't fizzle out when a big transient hits. To basslover...25x2 IS NOT enough for most tweets. That amount of power would force the amp to clip often and on tweeters that's especially bad. For me 75x2 for tweets, more the better on mids, and 500ish to the sub.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Neat. You could also include pre-amp sections with different filter sets and gains on them to further add to the level of customization.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Neat. You could also include pre-amp sections with different filter sets and gains on them to further add to the level of customization.
we're all active here...at least those of us that would be running these amps are. Why filters? Or are you talking about a different type of filter?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'd be up for it but power output would have to be adequate. Also need to make sure they don't fizzle out when a big transient hits. To basslover...25x2 IS NOT enough for most tweets. That amount of power would force the amp to clip often and on tweeters that's especially bad. For me 75x2 for tweets, more the better on mids, and 500ish to the sub.
Umm, sure guy. 25 watts is plenty, but if you like extra crispy highs, then by all means go for it. I prefer to throw extra power where the human ear is LESS sensitive.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well the idea is you can make whatever you want. Plus, we can underrate the hell out of them or whatever we want, because they are ours, made for the community. Very much like the DIYMA sub, we can plan and build our own perfection and make it easy for members to own something special.

The bus configuration wouldn't affect transients any more than a distribution block would, and perhaps less since we're talking pure copper here.

My contribution to this is that I can easily sketch up an extrusion to be used as the basic underpinning. The questions we have to ask ourselves are: Who has the talent to design a solid board around the extrusion? And, who will be the build-house to make them? Patrick at Zuki certainly broke some barriers doing it and has come up with great amps. My thoughts are simply to take that one step further with highly customizable configurations suited to each user, and make it flexible enough that quite literally one could add themselves an extra module in 10-20 minutes and be up and running.

As far as preamp stage filters and what not...well I'm not a fan but anything is possible. It would further complicate the design which I would not recommend we do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know some one who runs hell overseas milling machines I might be able to get him to cnc the Hs and overall cases.

Also Who actualy Made the DiyMA Sub ? I would love to see a video of it being made.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and the pieces come together!

Who will step up to design the internal board structure? This is NOT my field of expertise. I'm not sure I have a field of expertise actually, but I know for sure I'm bad w/ topology. I'm pretty good w/ dreaming up ideas though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I could see interest in this not only for myself but a couple other people I know too... I haven't spent cash on any new amps because they don't have the configuration I want in an all-in-one package so then I have to figure out how to mount umpteen amps in the car... Now that I am running three way front plus sub I find it more of a problem and especially getting the power I need or want for each set of drivers.

My first thoughts were someone like Patrick on the board design - he knows how to do this but he may not want to because it would conflict with his business interest maybe. We have some EE types on here - who knows enough about this to do it?

And, I don't want anything but a signal amplifier.... No filters, no nothing. I do that ahead of the amp now and I would almost swear that the end result is better than using the internal filters and for what reason I cannot put my finger on yet - it just seems to sound better for some reason. However I could see having a modular filter/pre amp section to where if someone wanted to they could like was mentioned earlier in the thread.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Umm, sure guy. 25 watts is plenty, but if you like extra crispy highs, then by all means go for it. I prefer to throw extra power where the human ear is LESS sensitive.
It's all about headroom. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. The general idea is for an amp to never clip. A tweeter will soak up more power than you might think when the demand is there. My system is perfectly balanced btw and capable of getting LOUD without any noticable clipping. 25 per tweeter wouldn't come close to giving the headroom I desire.

Anyway, back on track. Long as the board is built solid with high quality parts that's all I care about. I'm sure someone would be willing to design a 2-channel board and a couple mono boards that can be strapped.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got idea why don't we Use Linear power’s Boards ? Will I mean Copy them with the expressed written permission of LP ?

I'm sure they got schematics, will they let us is the question, this would be better than making our own from scratch

As far as my first comment some one would have to make it in cad and I'm sure he would reduce the price just not for free.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The first module with the power connections could also have some capacitance. Depending on the power draw, another module could be made for the other end of the chain with additional capacitance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
we're all active here...at least those of us that would be running these amps are. Why filters? Or are you talking about a different type of filter?
You can go "active" with a passive filter bank. No reason to go elitist here ;) Analog circuitry can give wonderful results. One set could have a LP and the other a HP, or a BP filter on it. This allows better quality components that take up more space, because you don't have frivolous other filters you won't be using (subsonic, I'm looking at you). And bascially what I'm saying about optional pre-amp sections is this: Say you have a really nice line driver in your system...then you don't need a gain stage on your amps, and you can just not connect/buy one. Maybe someone wants a tube preamp stage to warm up the sound...etc.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
If someone confident could design the board it could always be massproduced as long as the buildhouse is good.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
You can go "active" with a passive filter bank. No reason to go elitist here ;) Analog circuitry can give wonderful results. One set could have a LP and the other a HP, or a BP filter on it. This allows better quality components that take up more space, because you don't have frivolous other filters you won't be using (subsonic, I'm looking at you). And bascially what I'm saying about optional pre-amp sections is this: Say you have a really nice line driver in your system...then you don't need a gain stage on your amps, and you can just not connect/buy one. Maybe someone wants a tube preamp stage to warm up the sound...etc.
You seem to be forgetting about time alignment. When your vehicle is as wide as mine and kickpanels are out of the question because of legroom being valued time alignment is the only hope.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I'm really diggin the idea.... It's a shame that at such short volume runs, they will be quite expensive...

The modular idea is great. I especially like the 3rd pic, the one with the "power block" and then you simply proceed to add them to it.. The only problem is one, like in my install, i'll have 2 amps together, and one amp separate from the group..

Obviously, in that situation one would have to just wire the amp separately, but would that require the purchase of a "power block" or would there be provisions for doing it without? Well, I guess looking it it, it wouldn't be difficult to ring terminal onto the modular power extensions/terminals..

I never understood why Alpine and the subsequent "stacking amps" haven't already adopted this?? It would make perfect sense to have it as an option, especially when in stacked configuration.. one power input..

I approve, but you'll be hard pressed getting me to give up my LP amps... Which reminds me, maybe Ray from TIPS could be consulted on this... ?

I'll be watching..

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
This whole idea gives lift to all sorts of possible configurations.. Think about a "701 like" module for what Hillbilly would need AND also an analog crossover/EQ section much like the older AC stuff to cover your side of the coin.. one would simply need to choose which..

In this case, you could also somehow "signal bus" so you would just input to the first module and they would carry the signal along to the assigned amp, somehow, along with being able to be configured separately if needed..

I was just thinking, if they were put under a smooth cover, like the Arc's, a generic extrusion could easily be used, with a fan, to cut cost dramatically..

1 - 20 of 87 Posts