DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a single 12" Diamond Audio TDX sub infinite baffle in my 2000 323i. The rear deck is fiberglass covered in suede. (Still finishing my amp rack)
The rest of the system: Dynaudio Components, RF 3Sixty.2, Kicker 700.5.

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Looks downright awesome, I love the suede, but, you may want to fab up some kind of cosmetic cover or grill so it can't be seen through the rear window so easily :eek:

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
x2 on the grill and tint but it looks great....i hope you reinforced that rear deck besides just that fiberglass such as some metal bracing and deadener. Those TDXs are huge and i hope your rear deck can handle them while driving and pounding :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
x2 on the grill and tint but it looks great....i hope you reinforced that rear deck besides just that fiberglass such as some metal bracing and deadener. Those TDXs are huge and i hope your rear deck can handle them while driving and pounding :)
The rear deck in e46's are metal. A lot of people actually use them for IB applications.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Alot of rear decks are metal but reinforcing them is a big plus if you doing it correctly, especially if they are thin. Same concept with speakers installed in the doors but subwoofers are much larger in comparision, they have to endure the weight of the driver and energy it produces (ie deadening, bracing, and acoustical treatments. You want to start out with the most stable platform possible to avoid any of this. If this is more for show than sound quality then who cares since it looks nice :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Alot of rear decks are metal but reinforcing them is a big plus if you doing it correctly, especially if they are thin. Same concept with speakers installed in the doors but subwoofers are much larger in comparision, they have to endure the weight of the driver and energy it produces (ie deadening, bracing, and acoustical treatments. You want to start out with the most stable platform possible to avoid any of this. If this is more for show than sound quality then who cares since it looks nice :)
Ah, i see. Haha, i learn more everytime i read your posts :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, a grill AND darker tint are in the works.

The sub is actually mounted to 3/4" mdf that is bolted to the rear deck metal. The fiberglass/suede deck is really only a beauty board, the sub isnt attached to it in any way.
I am having a problem though. The rear deck has 6" speaker holes in it, below the fiberglass deck. They arent covered, and when the sub pumps, it pressurizes the trunk causing the new deck to flex and rattle. My plan is to fill the speaker holes with mdf this weekend. What I'm not sure about is the vents where the window and deck meet. If you look in the picture there is a row of vents there and I was told these are for when you close your trunk or doors, they vent air pressure. Can those be covered? If so, is it going to be harder to shut my doors/trunk?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
great work, very clean, looks amazing!

x2 to putting a grill over the sub. you don't want people checking that out all the time.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Since you are working on the rear deck again, put some deadening on the baffle and on the underside of the deck to prevent rattling and resonance. I dont know if i would mess with those vents personally but i know some SQ purists will tell to you seal everything up to fully seperate the rear wave from the front wave. If the vents arent actually causing any noticable problems, i would leave them as they are.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Rear decks' best friend is the expanding foam! That piece is usually a mix of thin sheet metal that you can't always add deadener to and various plastic components that like to dance.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear decks' best friend is the expanding foam! That piece is usually a mix of thin sheet metal that you can't always add deadener to and various plastic components that like to dance.
Spraying expanding foam in any part of my car scares the he// out of me!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah, ive had some bad experiences with expandable foam, but ive never had a problem with sealing vents. ive done it in every car ive sound deadened. the only thing it does is make it harder to close the doors if all the windows are up just cause the air is getting trapepd a bit. no worries though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Im running a single 12" Diamond Audio TDX sub infinite baffle in my 2000 323i. The rear deck is fiberglass covered in suede. (Still finishing my amp rack)
The rest of the system: Dynaudio Components, RF 3Sixty.2, Kicker 700.5.
did you do the free air fiber work?

·
Registered
380 Posts
hes right a lil'bit. expanding foam is your friend, jus ask hypnotiq, he'll tell you but i added raam mat bxt to the 325i and it went in smooth. i like to use a handle of a short tool to force it into the various canyons

·
Registered
380 Posts
i sealed the vents in almost all the cars i do with exceptions along the way. i usually do it to get out the loss of tight seal and i did a t-bird once that with the old 12 solobarics you could hear them flapping a little

·
Registered
983 Posts
In my car my B and C pillars, door sills, and trunk lid are all filled with expanding foam... it's great stuff (pun intended :D)... you just have to be wary of the mess. I used the triple expanding stuff too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
did you do the free air fiber work?

No, I brought it to a shop that did my friends 300M. He has two D9 10" subs on his rear deck, but they are in a ported enclosure. His came out so nice, and the price was very reasonable.
The shop had never done an I.B. setup with a TDX (D9), but said he would do it. I'm very happy with how it came out. I need to work out some rattles, and the rear deck needs to have another layer of deadning done, but all in all it sounds amazing.
Also, for what he did, including the dynamat and suede and he also deadened the rear pillars, and built the deck, the price was great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts