DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, many of you have been super cool about posting replies to some of my earlier threads. Thank you! For my next thread...I am going to need some ideas as how to set up my hatch for an amp rack and sub enclosure set-up. Feel free to post what you have done. I am not looking to copy, but you guys have come up with some amazing designs and it always helps to get some inspiration. I AM CREATIVE...I used to create sculptures and draw free-hand in HS and college but its nice to see what others have done to maximize their space and create a nice presentation for all their gear.

Ok, so for my current set-up. I am planning on using my current sub, an Image Dynamics ID10v.3D2. Currently, it is housed in a square, .62^ft., sealed enclosure that you all would laugh if you could see it. I never got around to carpeting it and it somehow had water contact around the edges of the baffle and now has a nice strip of duct tape to seal it. LOL! You know what's funny, many of my friends compliment how much bass response I have for only running 150watts and then I show them the enclosure and they crack up! It's awesome!!!

I do not run with a spare tire (thanks to AAA :D ) so my hatch is a blank canvas, so to speak. I have it partially sound deadened, but planning to complete the rest by end of next weekend.

Powering my sub will be a PG MS275 bridged to 4ohm mono. I will see about a 75watt increase to my sub...which gives me more headroom to play with. For the front stage, I will be running 2 SS D60IIs bridged mono, giving 80watts to each of my Altec Lansing TW2 tweeters. The Altec Lansing M615 mids will see 100watts aside thanks to a SS D200II. I later want to incorporate a dedicated midrange, maybe a 3" dome, and plan on purchasing another D200II or maybe just a D100II and run the 2 D60II to the midrange and the D100II to the tweets. Lots to figure out.

For my head-unit, I am currently using a Alpine CDA-9815 and plan to run an old school AudioControl EQQ to my front stage for fine-tuning duties.

Now...I want to keep my sub sealed. I play all types of music and I get enough bass for my listening pleasure with just going sealed. My question to you guys...the experts...what are some suggestions as to how all my equipment should be arranged? I am really at a loss. Should I go with a customer fiberglass enclosure in the spare wheel well or maybe corner loaded into the passenger side of my hatch? Use my spare wheel well for my amp rack? All of my amps have a tiny footprint which allows me some flexibility.

Sorry for the long read, but just trying to set-up in all your minds what I have to work with. Really appreciate any input you all might have. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Before i would give recommendations on how to setup your trunk, you should already know 100% about the gear you are running unless you plan for additions which gets very hard regarding wiring and layout IME

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. I am going to run an additional set of speaker wires from the hatch to the front and also plan on leaving some room for another amplifier. So yes, I am planning this to be set-up for future upgrades without having to start from scratch. Once I have my amp rack done, the only thing I will want to upgrade in the future will be my sub and possibly my midbass drivers...which are both very easy to do. I am not planning on increasing to a bigger subwoofer and I can always fabricate new baffles to fit larger/different drivers in my doors. My TW2 tweets will stay where they are at. I LOVE these tweeters and have a spare just in case I need them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all has to do with the top board. I plan on having plexi windows to display just the heatsinks of my amps. All I'll have to do is cut a new window out for the add-in amp. I'll make sure the symmetry and everything is planned well before I mount the components. Heck, I might just mount the future amp and not use it until I decide to incorporate the midrange. I did mention in my post that I am pretty creative... ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
HAHAHAHA...you checking up on me, honey? LOL! I can't sleep, dammit! Still not over this crud I know I caught from someone at work. I'll see you bright and early! You want coffee? I'll stop by the stand on my way...let me know!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are into sculpting, the sexyest thing I've ever seen is a Focal sub reverse mounted in a fiberglass enclosure...those big red magnets just do it for me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah...I am possibly looking at fabricating a fiberglass enclosure, but I don't think the ID10v.3 is the greatest looking sub positioned in reverse. No offense, Image Dynamics!!! :) Now, if I were going with an IDMAX sub, then yes, mounting in a reverse position would be incredibly sexy if I were to have the chrome basket!! Those are super nice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts