DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum but have been reading many, many threads for a couple of weeks. I need some input on my proposed audio setup in my 09 Toyota Tacoma access cab. I'll list the hardware and some restrictions with regard to speakers and locations. I'm trying to do a 2 way active setup, it's the first one I've tried to put together so please bare with my novice experience. This is a front stage only setup, no rear fill.

HU: Alpine CDA9887
Amps: Arc Audio KS300.4 and KS500.1
Tweeters: HAT Legatia L1V2
Mids: HAT Legatia L6
Sub: JL Stealthbox 10W3v3 in center console
Sound damped cab and doors

The restrictions:
Must use stock locations for mids/tweets, kickpanels are off the table. The taco doors have the tweets placed high on the forward 1/3 of the door and the mids in the front lower portion of the door.
Sub location is also fixed, I use the back seats.
The amps are going under the front seats, I can only install 2 amps

My questions:

Does the Alpine CDA9887 have enough processing power to accomadate this active setup without the need for an extra processing unit?

Do I need any external crossovers in addition to the ones on the amps and HU?

Thank you for everyone's patience and I'm open to suggestions/comments. The vehicle is a daily driver and not a competition car by any stretch of the imagination. The setup is intended to be an improvement in SQ without a drastic decrease in usability of the cab. I've used passive xovers in the past and want to get my feet wet with an active setup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You should be fine with the 9887. If you have trouble getting it to sound good you might want to try the imprint kit also. I had a 9887 and for 3 way it was all I needed. I never used the imprint but some people love it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can easily fit the L8 in the Tacoma door. Use the L1 Pro instead of the regular L1 (lower crossover point) and you'll have a great 8" 2-way setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking L6, the L8 is big enough to be a subwoofer. It's good to know the L8 will fit, the L6 should be a little easier install. Good to see another Taco build diagram, takes some of the guess work out of the equation.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Either way will require cutting an adapter baffle to fill the 6x9 hole. If your wallet allows, might as well step up to the L8 for some killer midbass response. :) You'll likely have to cut away some of the plastic on the trim panel as well to allow for excursion, but mounting a set of 8's is easy in these trucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's on the inside of the trim panel that's fine, I'm trying to avoid any drastic alterations of the stock pieces. Mr.Marv produces some really nice baffles and he's a HAT dealer now, knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. The L6 will probably be plenty for my needs, I'm getting a sub for a reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts