DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured it was about time to post something...but the problem is, the work is never done :( This'll be my first year in competition and I figure at the least I'll meet some like-minded people and exchange ideas.

I'll scrounge up some pics and post them but first a description.

This is a daily driver so I want to keep things useable and no bling-bling. Budget was also important...kind of a mixed blessing since a lot of good stuff can be found cheap in this recession we are in. Other than that, I just wanted to get the car to where I like the sound and look forward to driving to/from work etc.

Parts:
------

HU: Alpine CD player, it's about 5 years old. 3 sets of pre-outs. I'll keep it until it breaks.
Amps: 2x RF Punch 150 (25th Anniversary Edition) - got 'em cheap
1x JBL BP1200 - an oldie but a goodie, hasn't let me down in 6 years
1x Alpine (forget model #) - tiny amp for rear fill
Subs: 2x Image Dynamics ID10v3.d4. Got 'em cheap when an online retailer posted an incorrect price on their website.
Fronts: Image Dynamics OEM 6.5" (midbass) - bought from hessdog on here
Coustic DR 5.25" (mid) - bought from on here too
Tang Band tweets (not sure of the model #, liking them a lot especially for under $20 a pop)
Rear Fill: Alpine 4" coax, not sure which model # offhand
Misc: 40 Farad cap, 1/0 pwr/ground, etc.
Minimal sound deadening, didn't really need it...just put some on the front doors and a couple other strategic locations.
RF 360.2 processor. This was the most expensive piece but worth it IMHO. I have spent many days tweaking with it. It really should have a parametric EQ and phase adjustment for each channel though.

Build:
-----

Midbass are in MDF/fiberglas enclosures in the kickpanels, around 0.2 cubes each, sealed.

Mids are in the stock door locations, angled up and back about 20 degrees (give or take) with baffles.

Tweets are at the far corners of the dash, pointing up and across, along with the contour of the windshield.

Rear fill is interesting, I removed the stock 6x9s from the deck so the bass can funnel into the cabin, and made replica rear headrests from fiberglas/mdf and hollow stainless steel rods (which the wires go thru). The speakers mount in the back of the headrest enclosures and reflect off the back window. I did a horrible job with upholstering them tho, I need to get some professional help.

Subs are in a 3 cuft box tuned to around 35Hz with a 6" diameter Aeroport.

Amp rack holding the 2 RF's is built into the spare tire with fan cooling. The JBL amp is mounted inside the sub box, right under the inner port flange, so the amp gets cooling that is proportional to bass output. I thought it may be a patent idea but somebody else beat me to it.

The other stuff is mounted between the sub box and the back side of the rear seats.

Xovers are: sub: HP 20 @ 24dB
LP 75 @ 24dB
midbass: HP: 75 @ 24dB
LP: 175 @ 24dB
mid: HP 175 @ 12dB
LP: 4k @ 6dB (passive)
tweet: HP: 4k @ 18dB (passive)
rear: HP: 80 @ 24dB
LP: 10k @ 24dB

That's pretty much the run-down on where things stand now...I am not done with doors or tweeter pods and 1st comp is 6 days away...I'll just enter anyway and see what constructive comments there are.

Pics coming later.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics of kickpanels under construction. Did some funky shapes to get more internal volume. The kicks house ID OEM 6.5" midbass. I have experimented with an old set of Rainbow Profi Vanadium but think I like the ID's better.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some rear fill headrest pics. And midrange in door baffle. I did a crummy job on the headrest upholstery & need someone with mad vinyl skills (stitching).
May experiment more with the rear fill setup...try firing speakers toward the side windows, add more time delay/spatial processing, maybe difference the left/right channels...?

That's all the pics for now. Any questions or suggestions/ideas please let me know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
damn how does it sound? im thinkin of getting a tl or tsx for my next car

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way to resurrect an old thread :)

I have somewhat updated pictures here:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/60338-operation-8s-doors.html

though I haven't messed with it since last October.

IMHO the TSX is a bit of a difficult car to work with, in regard to the doors and door panels and the fact that the interior is narrow. Also, there is no cutout in the backseat where the armrest folds down...I provided my own cutout for venting bass into the cabin :D

Admittedly the audio setup was not my primary reason for choosing the car...I got a good deal on it new.

I am about to start on what will probably be my last iteration of a system in the car, when I get some spare time (which has been hard to come by lately).

Here is what I have planned:

- switch to SB Acoustics Neo ring radiator tweeter + tiny Dayton tweeter combo in the A-pillars (custom fab), or Fountek 3" + tiny Dayton tweeter (whichever works better)

- keep my Peerless SLS 6.5's in the kickpod enclosures, but deaden the enclosures more and re-upholster them

- if I end up going with the SB neo tweets, I'll keep my 5-1/4" Seas MCA15's in the doors. If I end up going with the Fountek 3", I'll ditch door speakers and move the xover point on my SLS up to around 300Hz subject to experimentation

- sub box fiberglassed into spare tire well, using the ID 10's. I will have an interchangeable port (one port for SQ, tuned to low 30s, and one port for SPL, probably tuned to mid 40s).

- re-do of amp rack, possibly under rear deck. Possibly replace my 2 Punch 150s with 3 Eclipse EA4200's (smaller footprint, more efficient, more flexible configuration)

damn how does it sound? im thinkin of getting a tl or tsx for my next car

·
Registered
398 Posts
LOL i know what you mean about narrow. I have a 92 accord xD.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your install is going along nicely. I never did figure out how to remove those rear seat side bolsters, for fear of breaking something. I might have to give that a try now...my rear deck needs more deadening anyway :)

2006 tsx pwp audio build. - TSXClub.com Forums

there you go thats how i did mine.... with a lag bolt... if you have an auto there an area you can go through from that is covered by a gramet on the fire wall.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your install is going along nicely. I never did figure out how to remove those rear seat side bolsters, for fear of breaking something. I might have to give that a try now...my rear deck needs more deadening anyway :)
what audio team are you on>

·
Registered
398 Posts

thx man was planning to post on here , but i got lazy too much to post.lol mayb later. however i do need to deadn the car. its driving me insane!!!!! but im short on money.....yeah those side boster were a pain. i couldnt find a single post of how to do it!!! not evwen in the suspension area.... weird...but yup wanted to make my instal kinda like a guide for ppl.

what audio team are you on>
i am on a team.... Team Advantage Audio ..... i only went to one show in my 92 accordd..

hopeing to compete next season...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts