Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
my saga with p99 continues...
So just to summarize,

headunit p99rs

front speakers morel nano virtus 602
rear speakers jl audio c5
tweeters from c5 series from jl...

3 car amps mosconi pico 2 in order to drive 2 tweeters, 2 speakers rear, 2 speakers front, i am also waiting for my box which will be sub and have integrated amp there too. but thats not important here..

as you know i am new - i am guessing i am noob.
So one person claimed /told me that ,
in order to achieve full potential of my car speakers i need
Here are words "loudspeaker must actually be driven by analog amplifiers to achieve its full sound potential. doing with your current set up is like putting diesel engine in aston martin"

Can someone clarify because i dont understand is my mosconi pico 2 - digital amp or analogue or ? ? I know that mosconi is class d amp and i know that my amp is wired to my speakers with Rca cablers....

my questions are - what car amps are analogues - and what are the best analogues car amps - ? how i can recognize digital vs analogue car amp,

if i get really good analogue car amp - since i am not sure if mine is analogue or digital - will i notice better sound quality - like more dept of i dont know...
please advice thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Noob or not... Sounds like alot of nice gear to be criticizing... I'd tell them to put their "analog lips" on your "digital ass" and put that nice gear to use... My $0.02...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke today with prof. audio shop/ they told me difference between class D- and between class/a/b is 50% is this true ?!?!
When u got ears for that...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spoke today with prof. audio shop/ they told me difference between class D- and between class/a/b is 50% is this true ?!?!
When u got ears for that...
50% of size. 50% of current draw. 50% of their profit margin (my guess is that's the big one).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
50% more sound quality - of course i wouldnt buy from them i can source used stuff for decent price...
is this true?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
50% more sound quality - of course i wouldnt buy from them i can source used stuff for decent price...
is this true?
This is 100% nonsense. You're getting really bad information. You have perfectly good equipment, and once it's set up and tuned properly you will have an excellent sounding system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much better is class a/b amp compared to class d amp ?
in terms of sound quality in the same system?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Good, modern, class D amps are every bit as good as A/B, and they are smaller and more efficient.

Old class D amps struggled with high frequencies, that's why they used to only be used for subs, but modern class D amps have much higher switching frequencies and can reproduce beyond 20khz just as well as a class A/B.

As long as you are using good class D amps there won't be a problem. Personally, I will never buy class A/B again, class D is a better technology for car audio.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can we directly compare mosconi pico 2 - i dont know how modern is this - vs modern class a/b so lets compare current present situation...
in order to clear picture...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
There REALLY is nothing to compare. While some people, like myself are attached to the idea of using well designed and well built Class A/B amps, the general consensus and experience is that well designed and well built modern Class D amps do what they are supposed to do just as well as their Class A/B counterparts with the added benefits of a much smaller form factor and a MUCH more efficient electrical use from your vehicles alternator and battery.

In short, use what you want to and what your vehicles electrical system can maintain and then ignore the naysayers !!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Can we directly compare mosconi pico 2 - i dont know how modern is this - vs modern class a/b so lets compare current present situation...
in order to clear picture...
Mosconi is a luxury brand that has a great reputation. I've never heard the pico 2, but I would not hesitate to use them.

Again, you have very good equipment, and you shouldn't be concerned.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
in order to achieve full potential of my car speakers i need
Here are words "loudspeaker must actually be driven by analog amplifiers to achieve its full sound potential. doing with your current set up is like putting diesel engine in aston martin"

Can someone clarify because i dont understand...
I like the car analogies which everyone seems to throw out... but I suppose a speaker is a motor too.

Other than the statement being total BS, what do you want to know?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the car analogies which everyone seems to throw out... but I suppose a speaker is a motor too.

Other than the statement being total BS, what do you want to know?
Going full car analogy....

Class A/B = 600ci Merlin Big Block with Holley Dominator carb and a 3 speed. 800hp 800tq built right and 9's in the qtr at 0 mpg's...

Class D = Mildly Built Supercharged LS7 with a 6 speed. 800hp 650tq and 9's in the qtr at 1 mpg's...

Nobody in this scenario is wrong necessarily but one combo fits in alot more cars, more efficiently, with more drivability.... The other looks big and bold and bad ass and does about the same thing on less efficiency and more fuel.

Car audio is a tough game to make margins in anymore, but I still pride myself on letting customers know when they did something right. I would treat this guy like a doctor and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Can we directly compare mosconi pico 2 - vs modern class a/b so lets compare current present situation... in order to clear picture...
You've got nice equipment. The Pico 2 is a very nice amplifier... especially when you have 3 of them!
Don't consider that there might be something better (at least not right now).

How much better is class a/b amp compared to class d amp ? in terms of sound quality in the same system?
Class A/B versus Class D is an age-old debate, and the argument for A/B is holding less and less weight as Class D technoloy advances.
In the past; Class D amps had a tough time accurately reproducing the higher frequencies... but those days are long gone.
The Pico 2 is a very nice Class D. You likely won't find a Class A/B that sounds better. At least, not one that you would ever notice sounds better...

I spoke today with prof. audio shop/ they told me difference between class D- and between class a/b is 50% is this true ?!?!
Don't listen to the 'professional' audio shop... they are 50% trying to sell you a new amp... and 100% full of crap.
I don't even go into car audio shops anymore, because they just annoy me...
Too many misinformed amateur salesmen, that only plug what they sell, and trash everything else.
I know not all shop are this way... but let's be honest; 90% of them are.

my questions are - what car amps are analogues - and what are the best analogues car amps - ?
All amps are analogue. Some amps have a digital input (optical or coax), but ultimately, the audio signal output is analogue.
As far as; 'what amps are the best'... you'll get a million different answers. Everyone has their favorites.
Some folks like German AMG, some like Italian Ferrari, and some like American Corvette... no such thing as what is best.

So one person claimed / told me that, in order to achieve full potential of my car speakers "loudspeaker must actually be driven by analog amplifiers to achieve its full sound potential."
To my point above... this sounds like the words of an amateur misinformed salesman.
All amplifiers are analogue - whether they are Class A, Class A/B, or Class D.
Sounds like he thinks: Class D means Digital.

Can someone clarify because i dont understand is my mosconi pico 2 - digital amp or analogue or ?
It's a Class D - analogue amplifier.

how i can recognize digital vs analogue car amp
The best way, is to stop going to that 'professional' car audio shop... they are full of BS, and are filling your head with misinformation.

if i get really good analogue car amp - since i am not sure if mine is analogue or digital - will i notice better sound quality
Do not spend another cent on amplifiers, or any other equipment. You already have nice stuff.
Tuning your system is what will make the real difference.
If you don't know how to properly tune, then seek out someone to do it for you (not the professional at the car audio shop).

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Going full car analogy....

Class A/B = 600ci Merlin Big Block with Holley Dominator carb and a 3 speed. 800hp 800tq built right and 9's in the qtr at 0 mpg's...

Class D = Mildly Built Supercharged LS7 with a 6 speed. 800hp 650tq and 9's in the qtr at 1 mpg's...

Nobody in this scenario is wrong necessarily but one combo fits in alot more cars, more efficiently, with more drivability.... The other looks big and bold and bad ass and does about the same thing on less efficiency and more fuel.

Car audio is a tough game to make margins in anymore, but I still pride myself on letting customers know when they did something right. I would treat this guy like a doctor and get a second opinion.

I think you summed it up will with the first sentance in your last paragraph. Technology and manufacturing have advanced to a point where even cheap, no-name brands can put out decent stuff (compared to 20 years ago). The difference between a quality middle of the road amp, and a high end boutique amp are very, very small these days. Even if there are small sound quality differences, there's no guarantee that the more expensive amp will be perceived as better (people like a bit of distortion), and those differences are going to be so small that every other link in the chain will have a bigger affect.

There is plenty of reason to use good source material, into a good source, and good speakers, but the argument for expensive amps is much weaker. Even lower powered, budget friendly amps (as long as they are well designed/built, which again is pretty easy to do these days) can sound every bit as good as the luxury stuff. Amps, in my honest opinion, are not something to get worked up about, and they aren't something where doubling or tripling what you spend on them is going to make much, if any positive perceived difference to the sound quality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
People do you think if i go with , mosconi as seriesor with mosconi pro or gladen zero series... i will notice hear difference - since they are class a/b/ compared to my pico ?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
People do you think if i go with , mosconi as seriesor with mosconi pro or gladen zero series... i will notice hear difference - since they are class a/b/ compared to my pico ?
You didn't read a single word from the above posts, did you...
Have you even hooked the Pico's up yet? What exactly don't you like about them?

Sounds like you're getting sucked-in by a salesman that is trying to sell you a new amp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greetings i read every word and every comment etcs..

pico is hoocked up all of the system is up and running
- the only part which is not yet arrived is the sub which will be here in 3 weeks time,
and i guess 1-2 weeks to be installed,

So right now system runs without sub only.
Sales man is living in the other part of the world and i buy only used stuff so - no luck with that,,
but otherwise - loudness is there but speakers lacks quality thats my conclusion... so far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts