DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Damn u doing true IB I see. Got the idea from pssounds ??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Well that's one hell of a way to start a build thread. :D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hah! :)

Yes, I figured we should kick it off with a bang. ;)

What you’re seeing is the underside of the hatch area.

In this pic you can get a better idea of the plan. The Durango has limited cargo space and I didn’t want to lose any... The subs will mount inverted and the magnets will fit under the cargo area floor tray. The underside of the third row seats is wide open for them to breath out into the cabin. The baffle template is MDF, but the final piece will be HDPE.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Looks like a great start ben! I will say after having done this in the versa it will be a mainstay in all of my builds from here on out...effortless bass without taking up much real estate...and hell it's pretty wild to think I just had a massive hole (in your case 2) cut in the bottom of my perfectly good (maybe new) car lol

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, once you play with IB it’s hard not to want it all the time. I am fortunate to get my hands on a lot of systems with every type of sub configuration you can think of and I always find IB subs to have an effortless quality to them that is unique from the others.

I titled the thread simple, but then showed an obnoxious-looking start. Let me clarify that the system will truly be simple once you get past the holes in the floor. :)

The system will consist of:

- Hybrid Legatia L2SE as widebands in the factory sail panel tweeter locations
- Hybrid Unity U69 shallow 2-ohm version 6x9s in the factory door locations
- Hybrid Clarus C12SW subwoofers IB through the rear cargo floor
- Zapco ADSP-Z8 IV-8 processor/amplifier combo unit with controller under the driver’s seat
- PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 with S/PDIF module for factory source unit integration to the proc/amp

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mike - I took a look at your build and it looks fantastic! Actually, we even have a video of your system hosted on the SQOLOGY YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/_QUZCNFXwFg

Toby Broadfield, my installer at Mobile Audio Plus, is waiting for a fresh shipment of HDPE and today is working on the doors. I stopped in at lunch and snagged a couple of quick pics.

Door cards treated:

And another shot of the hatch with a sub sitting in place so you can see the fitment:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Subbed to see how you tackle cleaning up the gaps between the pieces of sheet metal to prevent rust... and how how protect the sub from road debris/ water.

Very ballzy! massive props to you there

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not positive what the product is that Toby uses to seal cut sheet metal, but it's a rubbery epoxy sealer type product. I'll be sure to post those details when that time comes. This isn't the first time they've done this and I've seen the product before, but don't know exactly what it is off hand.

The Clarus subwoofer cones use a polypropylene diaphragm, which provides water resistance in the event they used in all-weather climates such as this. With them being inverted, the basket and motor/magnet side will be inside the cabin, so no chance of road debris/water getting into the mechanical side. In the first picture of this thread you can also see a plastic U-shaped guard which conveniently protects this area from splashes to begin with - I doubt they'll ever see much water/debris unless the underside is being directly sprayed while being washed. I had the vehicle ceramic coated recently and have been hand washing it with a rinse-less wash product and don't intend to be taking it through automatic car washes.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts