DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
It was a ‘15 with 75,200 miles. They gave me $24k for it! The used car market is crazy right now.
And they weren't worried about big IB holes in the back ? Do you think they were even aware ? Was the stereo even part of the trade in discussion ?

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
Just wanted to wrap back around and update this thread that I traded this Durango in for a new one. Stereo went with it since it was so integrated.

So, time to start all over!

Where were you guys back in 2007 when I did my Durango? I was the only kid on the block back then. Now I see some crazy / impressive install work that I never thought of. It would have been nice to know back then that I do now. Looking forward to seeing how you cut this one up :).

Ge0

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
And they weren't worried about big IB holes in the back ? Do you think they were even aware ? Was the stereo even part of the trade in discussion ?
I had 3 dealerships evaluate it for trade. None of them even popped the rear cargo area and saw the subs, and none of them put it on a lift or had any service techs look at it.

None of them said anything about the sail panels either. Maybe they noticed/maybe they didn’t - if not, it’s a testament to how OEM-ish they look.

At any rate, one of the dealerships asked if there was anything aftermarket on the vehicle before they looked at it and I told them the stereo was aftermarket, but factory integrated and everything works as it’s supposed to. That was the end of the discussion.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Interesting. You're right that is a huge testament to the quality and oem look of the install.
On the good side, you didn't lose any value due to the system. On the bad side, you didn't gain any value due to the system.
I don't know the market but either way that sounds like a great trade in value though, so no worries.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Interesting. You're right that is a huge testament to the quality and oem look of the install.
On the good side, you didn't lose any value due to the system. On the bad side, you didn't gain any value due to the system.
I don't know the market but either way that sounds like a great trade in value though, so no worries.
Yes, considering I paid $28.5k for it over 2 years ago, I am happy as **** with the $24k trade. Better than me trying to sell it to a picky buyer.

I guess had I planned better I could have swapped the subs for some Walmart Jensen subs, but I feel better about it this way knowing the new owner will be getting an amazing sounding system, even if they never appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I had 3 dealerships evaluate it for trade. None of them even popped the rear cargo area and saw the subs, and none of them put it on a lift or had any service techs look at it.

None of them said anything about the sail panels either. Maybe they noticed/maybe they didn’t - if not, it’s a testament to how OEM-ish they look.

At any rate, one of the dealerships asked if there was anything aftermarket on the vehicle before they looked at it and I told them the stereo was aftermarket, but factory integrated and everything works as it’s supposed to. That was the end of the discussion.
Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite you. (I gotta maintain my status as the eternal pessimist!) :p

When you traded it in, did you fill out and both sign a DMV "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability Form" (NRL) either Online or the printed Yellow Form?

If not, I would do this right away at the dealer, DMV, or online.

I've sold & traded a lot of vehicles throughout the years, and luckily, I've only had one brief snafu that was easily resolved...

It was with a Dodge Viper that I sold many years ago. About 2 years after I sold it, the new owners lost control of the vehicle (high speed in a residential area in Florida) and the car ended up in someone's dining room. :-O

The insurance company came after me trying to hold me liable saying that I had made modifications to the vehicle. I sent the insurance company and the FL DMV a copy of my signed Notice Of Transfer and Release of Liability form and never heard back from them. It depends on the laws in each state, but I believe if it made it's way to CA and something similar happened, you could be liable if you don't have that release.

Here are the basic terms of that DMV Notice of Transfer & Liability Release document:

"Sold your vehicle? Completing a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (NRL) lets DMV know that you are no longer responsible for parking/traffic violations or civil or criminal actions associated with the vehicle after the date of sale."

Most legit dealers make sure this is part of the required trade-in paperwork, but always make sure to double-check.

Anyway, that's incredible that you got that much for it as a trade-in, especially for a Dodge! :p

Obviously they are desirable in your area. And it didn't hurt that you had some nice wheels and the upgraded stereo in it...but still! Ya definitely made out well on that deal. (y)

The new Durango looks slick.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That is a very good idea. I did the same in Illinois when I had my '96 Camaro Z28. It has some engine modifications and a different rear end ratio. I did it to cover myself just in case the new owners got stupid with it as it wasn't stock mechanically at all.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
That is a very good idea. I did the same in Illinois when I had my '96 Camaro Z28. It has some engine modifications and a different rear end ratio. I did it to cover myself just in case the new owners got stupid with it as it wasn't stock mechanically at all.
Actually, anyone who sells a vehicle without obtaining that NRL could still be held liable in certain events and circumstances, even if there were absolutely no modifications made to the vehicle.

I think that the new owner probably told their insurance company that it was me who made mods to the vehicle, and they just used that as extra "leverage" in trying to hold me responsible.

Obviously, insurance companies don't like to pay out if there's any chance to get out of it and place the blame & liability externally.

Sorry Ben, I didn't want to derail your thread! Just wanna make sure that your @ss is covered. These days, it seems like if sh!t can happen, it will.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Toby finished up the Install in my new Durango today. This is the only thing that doesn’t look stock, and you have to pull up the cargo floor and go looking for it.

I’d show more, but there’s literally nothing else to see.

Hybrid Audio Unity U5A amp powers it all.

Done and done.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Now you know you have to share more information then that lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 147 Posts