DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2inch scanspeak 5f fell apart today! Its only been in for a week. It fits back together very well but I will need to glue it. Does anyone have any suggestions of what type of glue to use? Its plastic frame to metal magnet although all the old glue is still stuck to the metal magnet. It does fit back together quite nicely, so I'm pretty sure I can get it working fine if I know what type of glue to use.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Not sure, I'd ask the manufacturer, they make swap you a new one..

If not, some super glue gel or clear silicone may do the trick...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hmmm. Just be really careful about getting the voice coil centered. Now that I think about it more, ya that's gonna be a huge pain in the A to get right. If the dust cap were off you could shim it with some thin paper but being about to get that to hold and stay centered just free hand is going to be a feat unless the tolerances on those fasteners are really tight.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Just be really careful about getting the voice coil centered. Now that I think about it more, ya that's gonna be a huge pain in the A to get right. If the dust cap were off you could shim it with some thin paper but being about to get that to hold and stay centered just free hand is going to be a feat unless the tolerances on those fasteners are really tight.
It actually has little centering pins on the magnet and holes on the frame so it lines right up perfectly. So that was actually nice to see.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It actually has little centering pins on the magnet and holes on the frame so it lines right up perfectly. So that was actually nice to see.
Thats good. I hope they have tight enough tolerances between them because man just a hair to the left or right will make those voice coils rub. The first time I put a new surround on a sub I didn't realize how critical it was and it rubbed and had to cut off my brand new surround and do it again haha.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Annnnd the same thing just happened to the other side... I guess I cant recommend these speakers as quality equipment, at least not for car audio use. I CA glued the magnet back on the first one and it seems to be holding. I just glued the other one now, hopefully it will hold as well. I'm def not impressed with the build quality of these speakers. They do sound great thuogh! Until they fall apart LOL!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Annnnd the same thing just happened to the other side... I guess I cant recommend these speakers as quality equipment, at least not for car audio use. I CA glued the magnet back on the first one and it seems to be holding. I just glued the other one now, hopefully it will hold as well. I'm def not impressed with the build quality of these speakers. They do sound great thuogh! Until they fall apart LOL!
:oops: What the hell?! That's crazy man. Maybe they had a bad batch that got through QC. Dang man thats rough..

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
Many reasons why i stopped using home gear in cars. This is one of them. Theyre not designed to handle the vibration (among other things)f that a car will see

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
e6000 - Probably a better idea than CA glue... Scanspeak has notoriously high quality control.. literally built by hand with excellent tolerances... You live in Canada? Im going to venture to say the temperature made the glue fail..

Or maybe.. there was a rookie working at Scanspeak i saw a post on their twitter recently saying they were looking for employees so maybe someone who doesn't know what they are doing.. but from looking at the pic it looks like there was plenty of glue on there.. it just came off... am i seeing that right?

Let us know the nightime and daytime temps where you are

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, the CA glue has actually held quite well so far. I am in canada, but the temperature has not dipped very low yet, I dont think we've even dipped below freezing at night yet. I find it especially odd that both speakers failed in the exact same way and with only a few hours of play on them. As far as I can tell, it's all good now. One of them seems to be giving off a bit of a "burnt resistor" smell when I turn things up for long duration, but I think thats residual from when the magnet released partially and the voice coil was rubbing, I'm actually not certain why there was such a strong burnt electronics smell. Overall they sound great! Just too bad they both broke on me. And for what its worth, Solen Electroics in Canada didnt respond to my email about this.

@SUX 2BU the vynyl wrap is from a local store here called FabricVille. Its very nice stuff, but was not easy to wrap as it only stretched in one direction well. It matches my dash very well though!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Update, the CA glue has actually held quite well so far. I am in canada, but the temperature has not dipped very low yet, I dont think we've even dipped below freezing at night yet. I find it especially odd that both speakers failed in the exact same way and with only a few hours of play on them. As far as I can tell, it's all good now. One of them seems to be giving off a bit of a "burnt resistor" smell when I turn things up for long duration, but I think thats residual from when the magnet released partially and the voice coil was rubbing, I'm actually not certain why there was such a strong burnt electronics smell. Overall they sound great! Just too bad they both broke on me. And for what its worth, Solen Electroics in Canada didnt respond to my email about this.

@SUX 2BU the vynyl wrap is from a local store here called FabricVille. Its very nice stuff, but was not easy to wrap as it only stretched in one direction well. It matches my dash very well though!
Midrange have very little excursion… I would think they are either rubbing or not rubbing. It’s hard to believe they are rubbing at one point and then not rubbing from the voice coil traveling in the gap… like a subwoofer…or midbass

I bet if you were to reach out to scanspeak direct they would send you a new pair. While this is not a car audio product.. a lot of people use these in their vehicle and scanspeak has posts on their Instagram of car builds featuring these drivers. you should let them know. Get their email from their website. Since they are hand built they can adjust their manufacturing process to keep it from happening again.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Scanspeak does offer some car audio speakers. They usually have a silver basket. I'm not sure if they use better glue and fabrics or if its marketing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts