DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
wow... did you do all the work yourself?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Wow! That is some high quality craftsmanship right there.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
were those JL ZR? how did you like them?

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Yes.. ZR's

I liked them. But if comparing them to other comps in the same ballpark, I still prefer the old a/d/s 3 series.
define what ballpark you mean, what else would you compare them to. what did you like and dislike about them.
not many people run the full comp set, so I am curious

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
define what ballpark you mean, what else would you compare them to. what did you like and dislike about them.
not many people run the full comp set, so I am curious
Hmm... well about the only way to compare apples to apples is by retail price point. So for this instance I'd say "ballpark" would be to compare components in the oh say $500 to under $1k range :worried: This install was done over 5 yrs ago and I know back then they retailed for $800. I'm sure it's jumped up a bit now which IMO would only put them further away from a value.

What I liked about them?.. Well I've always "liked" the classic and ever popular JL XR series. Especially considering their price point! I consider these a decent value component set although they are no longer produced. I guess for me the best way to describe the ZR's is just a beefier version of the old XR's. They have similar tonal qualities, but the ZR's seemed to have a little more dynamic capability. Likely due to the beefier woofer. I found that the tweeter has essentially the same characteristics as the old XR tweet, even though they are supppsedly higher quality :rolleyes: They are metalic tweets, but I never found them to be too harsh and provided good detail. Midrange was acceptable. I was mostly impressed with their high output without exessive break up.

It's a shame that the good old a/d/s 3 series are no longer produced. These were $600'ish in the late 90's so I'm sure they would be a good $800-$1k these days, but IMO they are worth it (speaking retail pricing of course;)). The midbass is as good as the ZR, the midrange is very smooth, but the tweets IMO are where they shine. They're airy with very good detail, and smooth as well.

I don't know.. I guess that's the best I can do. I'm not much of a reviewer, I just know what I like...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts