DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in car audio terms...

Just completed these last night for a member on another forum. They are for his JL Audio 3 way comp set. With this being a 3 way set, and wanting to use the grille covers, I couldnt mount the speakers from the bottom like the other pods I do. So these will be top mounted, however, will still look killer when its installed. I like the look of them like this and am happy with the turnout, hopefully Bill will be as well. Enjoy!

During fabrication:

Vinyl covered:

Here you can see where the ABS piece was used to fill the gap on the upper edge of the door pod. It helps keep the seal on the door pods.

And finally, a pic of the rear of the pod. Here you see how the mdf pod is mounted to the panel. The screws tighten in from the back side of the door panel, and into some threaded inserts tapped into the mdf. The washers are used to help hold and disperse the load (holding power).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Very nice! Good job on the vinyl. Couldn't talk him into a 3-way DIY set though, huh?

Rick

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He already had the JLs....

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Maybe you could give a tutorial on properly putting on vinyl?? It looks easy, but I know in the back of my head, it's just messing with me, and waiting for me to waste a whole lot of money because I glued a couple square yards of vinyl to my forehead.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Very good answer, thanks!! Didn't know vinyl came in different forms of stretchy. I'm fiberglassing new door panels (the entire panel), and vinyl will help me keep more of a stock look than paint.

Oh, and how much vinyl comes in one order?? Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Aww, I never got to have a 3-way. And now that I'm married, it's probably too late! *LOL*

Seriously though, those look great! Nice work, and thanks for posting the info on the viynl. I'm toying with the idea of moving up to an 8" midbass, which will mean fiberglass door panels, viynl, etc, etc..

-Ben

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bfrance said:
Aww, I never got to have a 3-way. And now that I'm married, it's probably too late! *LOL*

-Ben
I wouldnt rule it out...you'd be suprised what a bottle of Jose Cuervo can do to you, your wife, and her best college girlfriend when playing cards at night... :eek:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MiniVanMan said:
Oh, and how much vinyl comes in one order?? Thanks!
All the prices quoted are per rolling yard. If you select the links, you can see where they list the roll length. You will get 3' of material x whatever the length of the roll is. I know Sounddomain is having a great sale on this vinyl right now...link: http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Vinyl

But I am fortunate to have found a local shop that specializes in automotive vinyls, and offers just about any color imagineable in a 3 way stretch, or if he doesnt have it he orders it in. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time in his shop.

·
Registered
186 Posts
AzGrower said:
I wouldnt rule it out...you'd be suprised what a bottle of Jose Cuervo can do to you, your wife, and her best college girlfriend when playing cards at night... :eek:

*LOL* Sounds like a plan, if I could stomach even the smell of tequila anymore, (there's a bachelor party story that goes along with that....) ;)

-Ben

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup just ABS sheeting. Cut to shape then glued with CA glue and reinforced and filled in with Evercoat body filler and kitty hair.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
bfrance said:
*LOL* Sounds like a plan, if I could stomach even the smell of tequila anymore, (there's a bachelor party story that goes along with that....) ;)

-Ben
Don't worry bud, i can't stand the smell either.......buuuuut i love some Yager...We just recently got Varenyager at my work as well, very good stuff.

Hope one day i can have a 3way. Thats if i don't blow one from thinking about it and the apprehension before i even get to it... ;)...........ROFLMAO, take it the way ya want :D

Looks good Az, nice work. BTW did you get your "kitty" hair from the 3way or what? ;)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
AzGrower said:

And don't forget that sweet gothic chick that works at the quickie mart down the road.....I think I've said too much.....I'll post pics :eek:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are the finished install pics... I think they came out pretty damn nice

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sweet, those look nice!

BTW, I'm interested in knowing how much you'd charge to build a 2-way set of pods like that. My brother just bought a 2000 Tahoe, and I think I've finally got him interested in putting a system together.

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bfrance said:
Sweet, those look nice!

BTW, I'm interested in knowing how much you'd charge to build a 2-way set of pods like that. My brother just bought a 2000 Tahoe, and I think I've finally got him interested in putting a system together.

Thanks,

-Ben
PM sent...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts