DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I started the an install in my wife's 2005 civic sedan lx. The plan for the car is to have a pretty basic 2-way setup. Mids in the doors and tweeters in the pillars. Ultimately I look to have a pdx 4.100 or 4.150 powering the setup. All the processing will be done via the headunit: alpine 9815. The OEM radio is actually quite nice. It's a 6-disc cd/mp3 changer with an auxilary out. If I could afford to buy a cleansweep or 360.2 or h650 I'd probably go that route and keep this, but it's just not worth it literally. Plus, she actually likes the looks of the 9815 so it's not a big deal to her.

I started with the headunit as most do last night. The old one wasn't too hard to take out, but the trim ring around the gear shift was a bear to pry out with my hands. Then it was a few simple clips and 2 bolts, and the radio is out. I bought a metra dash kit for it, but I'm now searching instead for the OEM pocket for a much more OEM look. I also wanted to use the stock bolts to hold the radio much more securely in the dash.

Here's where the fun starts... After I put the cd player in I went out to her car to put the radio in the dash. Left the keys and faceplate on the counter to come back and get. On my way out I shut the door behind me... Which was already locked on the knob. *DOH* My wife was at work, my cellphone was inside and I had no house key hidden outside. I had to borrow my neighbor's phone to call my mom so that she could come let me in my house (she keeps a key to my house in case we need someone to let the dogs out). While I'm waiting for my mom, my dogs start barking at me. Then the dreaded happens... They go get one of Lindsey's flip-flops and start chewing on it. I'm outside my house yelling at my dogs, they're looking out the window confused b/c they can't see me through the blinds and they're just going to town on her shoe.

Finally I got back inside the house and called it quits. Today I plan to route the remote turn on and RCA's to under the passenger's seat where I'll place the amp. That way I won't have to go back and do it again. I also might go ahead and run speaker wire from the seat to the doors.

Anyway, here's some pictures of last night's install:

If anyone happens to have an OEM pocket for a 7th gen civic, lmk. I'd be interested in it.

I also need a trim ring for alpine h/u since this one didn't come with it. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wish I can screw down the Headunit on my 6th gen civic :-( Mine's only supported by the sleeve, the whole unit goes up and down on bumps.

Keep em coming! a friend of mine will change to a 7th gen civic from a 2nd gen CRV and we're getting some ideas on how to go over with his install :)

·
Member Infinitum
692 Posts
I hope the flip-flops were inexpensive. Have U checked with the Honda dealership? or is it too expensive? I think any import single din pocket would work, since the screw on the side are pretty universal (I think).

Pics would be interesting.

·
Member Infinitum
692 Posts
Pics of the Sandals!;)

Doesn't surprise me. I went to a shop and asked if they had any extra pockets. I guess I got lucky.

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just one sandal. They were $10 cheapos she just wore when she goes outside. Not a big loss. But it was hilarious watching them chew it up and look so confused when I'd yell at them from outside.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i could be wrong but i dont know that you can get an oem pocket for that civic. since she has the Special Edition that came with that cd changer it has a perfect square opening which is different than the normal 7th gen civic opening which is more of a weird triangle shape.

make sure if you try and find an install kit for it you find the one for the SE and not the standard. at least if i recall from the pics the other day she had the SE radio in there.

any updates on this install?

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny you mention about trying to find a dash kit for the SE... I ordered a standard one and was SOL when it didn't fit.

No updates yet. Work on her car has halted for now. I'm going to wait until I assemble enough equipment to do an install. I have ordered some Alpine type-x pro tweeters and will order the mids next month. then I will get a 4-channel... then install it. :)

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it. Sucks. I exceeded the bandwidth...

I went through and deleted a lot of old pictures, but that doesn't do anything to help the bandwidth issue.

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I honestly don't feel like it. I'm thinking that after this month passes (in terms of photobucket's month) then I'll be good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Funny you mention about trying to find a dash kit for the SE... I ordered a standard one and was SOL when it didn't fit.

No updates yet. Work on her car has halted for now. I'm going to wait until I assemble enough equipment to do an install. I have ordered some Alpine type-x pro tweeters and will order the mids next month. then I will get a 4-channel... then install it. :)
ah that sucks. when did you order that? i was going to tell you that the other day when i sent you that pdf but i forgot. does she have the sail panels with tweets in them or just the plain ones? if shes got the ones with factory tweets and if you dont want to modify the apillar or door my girls tweets fit right into her sail panel. they were the type r tweets, not sure how they compare in size to the ones you ordered.

if shes got black kick panels ive got a set of Qlogic kicks that fits a 6.5 mid if you really dont want to modify her car for the install. probably let them go fairly cheap. only used for like 3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts