DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to talk about this, but I am VERY intrigued by Infinity/JBL's new 4x6 offerings where they separate the midrange from the tweeter.

Like this:

I think there's some decent potential with this design (one of my cars has a 4x6 on the dash) and if adapted to the 6x9 cutout, with good woofer/tweeter choice, and a simple [yet decent] crossover network backing it up, could sound pretty good.

Thoughts?

Andy Wehmeyer, wanna chime in more?

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
those are not oval speakers though. it is round speakers in a mounting plate. not exactly what this discussion is for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
People use phrases like "Beaming" in a derogatory way while others simply understand it as "directivity control"
"Directivity control" and "Beaming" are not synonomous. The thing to realize is that we may want narrowed dispersion to reduce reflections, but we don't want it narrowed to the point where you have to be directly in the path of the woofer (the "beam") to hear the sound correctly.

There's a definite pattern you want and true beaming is not desirable, even for a person on axis.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I like 6x9 because the typical 6.5 has a hard time at 80Hz let alone going lower. 6x9 is significantly more capable and should be more efficient just from the cone area. I've not tried any coax 8s yet but I assume they are similar in FR. Sure you can get small subs and expensive 6.5 that do more, but a 6x9 is a woofer not a sub and I was talking similar level speakers.

I used to do a lot of boats and was always surprised what 6x9 could do in an open cabin, then we moved to 7x10. Many of the boats they didn't have room or want weight of subs plus they ran the batteries down faster, the 7x10 were ideal. Given they were mostly party systems not really SQ, but the bass out of quad 7x10 for example was not bad running full range. Even one set with other 6.5 you could listen to and they went loud.

Those 7x10 had a raised grille and would fit a 6x9 hole, and given space available were ideal. You could not fit round drivers that large in many places or find an all weather one. Any quality issue certainly was not something I could notice. Even in a car the better FR in the midbass range usually made up for any other issue, but suppose it depends on how you like your bass. I've rarely been happy with 6.5 in that respect. For me I always look for FR first and once that is good I go on to other issues.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
No, you get the same off-axis response as the 6.5" because the dispersion in that direction is about the same--defined by the speaker's dimension.
So they aren't the same :p

I realise the difference is pretty negligeable but slightly in favor of the 6x9 if aimed right. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to talk about this, but I am VERY intrigued by Infinity/JBL's new 4x6 offerings where they separate the midrange from the tweeter.

Like this:

I think there's some decent potential with this design (one of my cars has a 4x6 on the dash) and if adapted to the 6x9 cutout, with good woofer/tweeter choice, and a simple [yet decent] crossover network backing it up, could sound pretty good.

Thoughts?

That's not a new design, I've seen Boss Audio doing that for years :p

Anyway, 6x9s have weird beaming patterns which I personally don't like.

And finally, pick a few random companies that make expensive speakers. Look at their top of the line models, lots of 6.5s, virtually no 6x9s.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Makers just follow the market, back when many cars used 6x9 everyone had 6x9s to sell you it was by far the most popular at one time. Today not so many cars use them. They also had plates in the late 80s even, and if you wanted to lose midbass/bass you could use them...or if you could afford to lose it as they did work in some places.

·
Registered
384 Posts
And some are smart enough to use beaming to their advantage rather than treat it as evil..

·
Registered
238 Posts
...IMO, if you are looking to put a driver in the rear deck of your 91 Camaro, with no sub and some sweet paper cone coaxials up front, a 6X9 is the perfect choice....that is as long as you have an EQ-booster under your dash to tweak the sound just right.

~JH
LOL!!!!!!!!

:laugh:

Only if it is a Kraco or Pyramid booster!

·
Registered
238 Posts

Like this:

Thoughts?

Those sound very good for what they are...I also have some Boston Acoustics SL-80's in my Mustang which are the same idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
...One of my favorite cars to do a nice simple good sounding system is the newer dodge rams. they put 6x9's in the front door and 5.25" speakers in the rear.
My 2011 Laramie has 6x9s in all four doors...soon to be replaced with XR6.5Ms.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are some very respected members of this forum running 6x9s. Nobody has been able to objectively establish that one is better off SQ-wise with 6.5s than 6x9s. In fact, it appears that very good arguments have been advanced favoring 6x9s. So, why are there so few decent 6x9s out there? IDs, HAT Imagines and some BAs. I don't see too much else. Why? Even with HAT, there's no Legatia 6x9. Why? Is it fit issues (i.e. no demand)? I am at a loss on this.

·
Registered
897 Posts
This discussion has me thinking about my next install in my mark VIII. I'm thinking about either a pair of id6x9, cadence 6x9 midbass drivers, a pair of 8x12 lanzar vs a pair of sealed Alpine type r 8"? Damn I have no idea which way to go? I just want an abundance of midbass!

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
This discussion has me thinking about my next install in my mark VIII. I'm thinking about either a pair of id6x9, cadence 6x9 midbass drivers, a pair of 8x12 lanzar vs a pair of sealed Alpine type r 8"? Damn I have no idea which way to go? I just want an abundance of midbass!
You could try the Imagine I69, I have used the I6 and it's a very efficient driver that puts out lovely midrange for being an "entry" level ;)

Kelvin

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could try the Imagine I69, I have used the I6 and it's a very efficient driver that puts out lovely midrange for being an "entry" level ;)

Kelvin
I asked Scott Buwalda about the Imagine 6x9s. Here was his response:

"6X9's are a rough size to convince a buyer to upgrade beyond "good." That's why we don't make a high-end oval speaker. The Imagine I69-2 is a very musical speaker though, especially for midbass duties.

I like the idea of wide-bandwidth L3SE's up top, and then I69-2's in the doors covering midbass. That could work well. The L6SE or even the L6V2, if money's tight, would be a very good approach too. For sheer output, the I69-2 and L6V2 will mirror each other closely because of displacement gains on the I69-2 over the L6V2, but the L6V2 has more linear Xmax. It'll be a wash. The L6V2 has lower inductance though, which is always desirable."​

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Why not check out the offerings from CDT?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
from jl website:

"Many people mistakenly believe that an oval speaker cannot perform as well as a round one, leading to many instances of 5.25-inch speakers being installed into 5 x 7-inch openings. JL Audio's engineers have put in the time and effort to create fantastic-sounding speakers that drop into oval openings and deliver equivalent performance to our 6.5-inch (165 mm) round speaker systems... guaranteed. So, don't make the mistake of losing cone area and efficiency by stepping down to a smaller round speaker... these ovals rock."

41 - 60 of 118 Posts