DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here, I was directed here by Wildman from the 6thgenaccord forum, he said you guys were among the best. :)

I just sold my old 12s with the amp, and the guy randomly gave me the Kicker zx1000.1 amp and two Kicker cvt 10" subs that were in the truck he just bought because he "didn't have any room for them now." haha

To start things off, the two 10s are in one of those slim boxes to go behind truck seats. I hooked everything up into my car, and it just sounds like straight dookie. If I turn the gain up to get even the slightest bass, it makes a god awful weird rattling noise. Is the box too small for the subs? or is the box broken? Because I notice if I put weight on the middle of the box, it doesn't made the noise as bad.

I am not completely dumb when it comes to car audio, but I definitely need help. I know nothing about boxes and what subs need certain air spaces.

What would you guys I recommend I do with these subs? Is there a good box I can buy for them, or is it just best to build a box?

sorry for all the questions and lack of technical terms I may have used, again, I am a serious n00b in need of help. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I doubt the box is too small. If it's too small, it would inhibit the cone's movement, and it just wouldn't play very loud. The box might be broken... Try to feel any air movement from the box's panel edges. Maybe it got dropped or something? The speakers themselves might also be damaged. Can you play just one speaker at a time? Take them out of the box and look inside. Is there something in the box rattling around- like a couple of screws or a socket (yes, it happens!)?

Post some pics as well; it's worth a thousand words!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take the speakers out and post pictures of the box, inside and out, and the subs.

Measure the box volume, check
For Leaks.

Get the ts specs ( google it) of the subs.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
One or both of the subs might be blown. Does the rattling sound come from the speakers, or from the enclosure itself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I got home today from school i messed around with it a little more, and i think i found where the box is broken on the back. I don't have time to take pics right now though as I have to go to work in a little bit. I flipped the box over and I noticed the middle of the bottom panel of wood looked like it was moving, so i squeezed it and the noise stopped. I guess the noise is the two pieces of wood hitting each other.

Is this a common problem with sub boxes? What should I do? Maybe use a few long wood screws? it's on the bottom, so i don't mind a few screws being there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well, if you can squeeze it together and the noise stops, I guess you found the problem. But is it broken because it got dropped? Or does it need some help with glue and screws?

If the carpet is in the way and you can't see much, then you're gonna have to pull out the speakers and peek inside. Some boxes have a divider between the speaker chambers, and some don't. Perhaps the divider board is loose.

The repair with screws is iffy- you'll have to be exact with your drilling, or you'll make the situation worse by splitting the wood. Predrilling will help. So will dumping some wood glue in the hole and then putting in the screws. Then let it sit overnight with a BUNCH of heavy books or something on it.

Still waiting for the pics, if they offer any clues...

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
yup, sounds like the box got dropped....

I would be concerned about more than just the one spot... as stated, take the subs out and look around, maybe you can see where it's separated with a mirror or something from the inside... you might get away with some wood glue and book, but it's hard to say, without being there..

check out parts express, they have some really nice, cheap, pre-fabs.. sounds like this box might have seen better days...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts