DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone please give some inputs about this subwoofer - The Nakamichi SPW-1210. Looking for great SQ under or around $200. Definitely looking to run the sub in a sealed enclosure. Power is no problem up to 600W RMS at 4 ohms.

Features:
Bumped and Vented Pole Piece
CNC Line Baskets & Cooling Method Design
High Quality Die Cast Aluminum Basket
Non-press Paper Cones
Gold Plated Binding Posts
Proprietary Tall Excursion Foam Surround
160 Oz of Double Stacked Strontium Ferrite Magnet
600 Watts RMS Power Handling
1200 Watts Peak Power Handling
2.5" (60 mm) Hi-temp Kapton 4 Layer Voice Coil
Voice Coil vented with 4 x 6 mm Air Holes
Chrome Plated Back-Plate
Injection Molded Rubber Magnet Boot with Oversized Nakamichi Logo
Mounting depth: 6.46"

Specs:
Sensitivity: 84.75 dB (1W Method)
Frequency Response: 20 - 3kHz
Cone Type: Non-Pressed Paper
Voice Coils: Dual 2 Ohms
RMS Power Handling: 600 Watts
MAX Power Handling: 1200 Watts
Recommended Sealed Box Volume: Between 1.1 to 1.35 Cubic Feet
Recommended Ported Box Volume: Between 1.25 to 1.75 Cubic Feet
Magnet Diameter: 6.93"
Mounting Depth: 6.46"

Parameters:
Mechanical Parameters:
FS = 36.28 Hz
Qms = 4.84
Vas = 32.82 liters
Cms = 0.0822 mm/N
Mms = 234g
Rms = 11kg/s
Xmax = 10mm
Xmech = 15mm
P-Dia = 259.8mm
Sd = 530sg.cm
P-Vd = 0.53 liters

Electrical Parameters:
Qes = 0.808
Re = 1.6 Ohm
Z = 2 Ohm
BL = 10.28 TM
Pe = 300 Watts

Electromech. Parameters:
Qts = 0.693
no = 0.187%
1-W SPL = 84.75dB
2.83v SPL = 91.86dB

SPW1210 - Nakamichi 12" 1200 Watt Sound Quality Competition Subwoofer

The other subwoofer I have in mind is the JL Audio 10W3V3. The reason I'm looking at 10 with JL is because I want a tight and punchy bass, not so much extended sub bass.

·
Registered
494 Posts
There is a thread here with people asking the same questions. The issue is Nakamichi kinda left car audio around 2002-04 and all the newer stuff has been made since the Nak name was bought out by Phonics (Phillips). I'm not saying that it's gonna be a crap sub, the specs seam to imply the opposite but most of what has gotten the Nakamichi name put on it these days is rather mediocre (Class D amps putting out 50wpc with .1% thd). Hopefully someone can chime in about these subs cause it would be nice to see a higher quality product attached to the Nak name again.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The size of the sub has nothing to do with how punchy it is. Put a good 15 in the proper enclosure and you will never think 10s dominate the punchy arena again.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The size of the sub has nothing to do with how punchy it is. Put a good 15 in the proper enclosure and you will never think 10s dominate the punchy arena again.
I've heard 10" that can wipe the floor with a pair or 15", It all comes down to how the sub is designed as well as the enclosure and what you have powering it.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I've heard 10" that can wipe the floor with a pair or 15", It all comes down to how the sub is designed as well as the enclosure and what you have powering it.
Define "wipe the floor". Show me a single 10" that will sound better and louder than a pair of 15s in a sealed or IB enclosure. I'm sure there's some one note wonder in a high tuned bandpass or ported enclosure that will outdo a couple 15s in SPL in a sealed box.

That doesn't change the fact the the OP was talking about using a sealed enclosure and that he's sticking with a 10" because it has more punch than a larger sub and it's completely inaccurate. Show me how a 10" will have more "punch" than a 15" in a sealed enclosure.

Should I go with a 5-1/4" midbass to get more punch than my 9s will give?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 0.75 cu ft 10" sealed enclosure and a 1.25 cu ft 12" sealed enclosure. I also have a few amps set aside for the sub putting out 400W RMS and 600W RMS. Given these, which sub would you put your money on? Again, less than or around $200. I'm really intrigued by these naks, but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if you can find a 12" sub that will fit in 1.25 cuft ideally, then a larger sub will put out more sound per watt.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Define "wipe the floor". Show me a single 10" that will sound better and louder than a pair of 15s in a sealed or IB enclosure. I'm sure there's some one note wonder in a high tuned bandpass or ported enclosure that will outdo a couple 15s in SPL in a sealed box.

That doesn't change the fact the the OP was talking about using a sealed enclosure and that he's sticking with a 10" because it has more punch than a larger sub and it's completely inaccurate. Show me how a 10" will have more "punch" than a 15" in a sealed enclosure.

Should I go with a 5-1/4" midbass to get more punch than my 9s will give?

I was agreeing that size has little to do with how "punchy" a sub is, it is in fact a combination of things. So before you get all bent out of shape over the fact that someone online said they've heard a 10" wipe the floor with two 15" take a look at the context. If all things were equal two nice 15" in a properly designed enclosure given clean power will totally smash a that 10".

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I never said that a 10" will always sound "punchier" than a 15". What I did say was it's not hard for a well designed 10" in a well designed enclosure powered by a competent amp to wipe the floor with two cheap 15" placed into a prefab enclosure powered by some blue light special amp. I was agreeing that size has little to do with hoe "punchy" a sub is,it is in fact a combination of things.
lol but is not comparing apples to apples. would be like racing a mustang against a fiesta and then bragging that the mustang won..

·
Registered
494 Posts
lol but is not comparing apples to apples. would be like racing a mustang against a fiesta and then bragging that the mustang won..
True it's not fair but on the flip side if the fiesta is acting like he's hot **** than you know what? He deserved to get put in his place by that mustang.

Anyways back on track. Anyone have any experience with the SPW-1210 so Devnani can decide if he wants to go with them or look at some other options.

If you're looking for affordable SQ subs take a look at PPI's Art Collection and there ARTSQ Collection. They won't take the world by storm but they are definitely comparable to some of the subs double their price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you can find a 12" sub that will fit in 1.25 cuft ideally, then a larger sub will put out more sound per watt.
The Naks specify a sealed enclosure to be between 1.1 and 1.35 cu ft. But not so much worried about SPL as I'm worried deeply about SQ. Especially when listening to genres like metal.

True it's not fair but on the flip side if the fiesta is acting like he's hot **** than you know what? He deserved to get put in his place by that mustang.

Anyways back on track. Anyone have any experience with the SPW-1210 so Devnani can decide if he wants to go with them or look at some other options.

If you're looking for affordable SQ subs take a look at PPI's Art Collection and there ARTSQ Collection. They won't take the world by storm but they are definitely comparable to some of the subs double their price.
Would you suggest the PPI Art SQ collection over JL Audio 10W3v3? I really don't mind spending around 200 (only for the sub driver). I'm looking to pull the trigger on a sub asap :worried:

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Naks specify a sealed enclosure to be between 1.1 and 1.35 cu ft. But not so much worried about SPL as I'm worried deeply about SQ. Especially when listening to genres like metal.
If it's anything like the old SP-W104's or 1245 than you shouldn't have to worry about SQ.

Would you suggest the PPI Art SQ collection over JL Audio 10W3v3? I really don't mind spending around 200 (only for the sub driver). I'm looking to pull the trigger on a sub asap :worried:
Spec wise they seem pretty close (aside from a few variances). I haven't heard the JL 10W3V3 so I can't say how they directly compare but in all honesty I don't think you'd be disappointed by the A.12SQ.

·
Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,614 Posts
Nailed it like jesus. (no offense intended).

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I was agreeing that size has little to do with how "punchy" a sub is, it is in fact a combination of things. So before you get all bent out of shape over the fact that someone online said they've heard a 10" wipe the floor with two 15" take a look at the context. If all things were equal two nice 15" in a properly designed enclosure given clean power will totally smash a that 10".
I like the new severely edited version of your post. I read it yesterday with all of the different amplifier, different enclosure, and all of that nonsense you wrote and I was looking forward to replying to it today. I guess you wised up.

The only one that got bent out of shape was you. I was laughing when I read that angry post. Apparently you saw it too judging by the watered down new version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts