DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
I'm actually going to the library today to print out the 6.5" (possibly the 5", easier fit) for the Bliesma T25B-6. Going to try the T25S-6 with it since I have them.

Augerpro on diyaudio and the parts express forums along with some other members did all this. They put in a lot of time and gave us a lot of solid preforming waveguides for diy community, pretty cool of them. The 4" with SB tweeters are fairly practical for a car install.

DSP's, waveguided tweeters, and custom midbass enclosures are the 3 largest SQ gains I've experienced.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
man, i wish i understood what was going on here. i mean, i kinda understand wave guides, but i feel like a moron looking at the FR graphs and not knowing what to look for. i saw a couple that smoothed some dips, but beyond my hearing...

· Registered
477 Posts
man, i wish i understood what was going on here. i mean, i kinda understand wave guides, but i feel like a moron looking at the FR graphs and not knowing what to look for. i saw a couple that smoothed some dips, but beyond my hearing...
An ideal waveguide will maintain the frequency response off axis as it drops in amplitude. So the more similar the response on axis and 60 degrees off axis the better, the slope should change slowly.

You have to look close. The graphs are from different sources and use different scales but can still show the idea.

See how the off axis response remains similar but at lower amplitude in the top graph vs the bottom?

· Registered
117 Posts
These waveguides are especially useful when using larger mids. The fact that they have constant directivity is one thing, it helps keep the soundstage more cohesive in width at all frequencies, but the waveguides also give the low end a boost, meaning that crossing tweeters low is much easier. The Dayton rst28 models have been successfully crossed at 1.4khz I believe with decent output. I personally considered them for an 8 inch 2 way I was planning but decided to go with a CD as I was looking for serious output in a compact monitor. They were modeled with influence from the revel speaker lineup if I remember correctly. You could technically build most of their speakers for about a 1/4 or less of the actual price. It would be interesting to see somebody create a revel-based car with these waveguides and the sb drivers at madisound.

· Registered
117 Posts
Google tells me that there are companies that'll 3d print the things for me for not much dollars, I just may get some SB26 or 21 and a 4" guide and test it out.
I actually hadn't realized how cheap 3d printers themselves have actually gotten. For like $300, you can get something decent with a 300x300x400mm printing volume. Definitely enticing as I rarely have time to drive out to my house (two hours each way) to work in my shop. I could have the printer (or two) going constantly in my apartment making all kinds of cool things that would be much too precise for my handheld router.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.