DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I built my first enclosure this weekend and it turned out much better than I expected. I did this to try and improve the sound from my pair of JL 10WX's. While it did improve the SQ significantly ( I came from a prefab tuned to 42Hz!!), it turns out I'm a bit of a closet basshead.

I'd like to replace them with something with higher power handling but still give me the SQ that I want. I don't listen to a ton of rap or anything, I just find myself needing more output. 2 entry level 10's on 240 watts just isn't going to cut it for me. I'm looking for suggestions for a pair of 10's that will work well in my enclosure. I'm also picking up an Alpline MRV-1507 (225x2 @ 4 ohms/ 450x2 @ 2 ohms) to power them with so keep that in mind.

The enclosure is 2.46 CF before driver displacement tuned to 30hz.

I listen to mainly rock from the 90's and some older hip hop along with System of a Down and the like if that helps at all. I'd like to keep the budget for the pair under $500. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Well I built my first enclosure this weekend and it turned out much better than I expected. I did this to try and improve the sound from my pair of JL 10WX's. While it did improve the SQ significantly ( I came from a prefab tuned to 42Hz!!), it turns out I'm a bit of a closet basshead.

I'd like to replace them with something with higher power handling but still give me the SQ that I want. I don't listen to a ton of rap or anything, I just find myself needing more output. 2 entry level 10's on 240 watts just isn't going to cut it for me. I'm looking for suggestions for a pair of 10's that will work well in my enclosure. I'm also picking up an Alpline MRV-1507 (225x2 @ 4 ohms/ 450x2 @ 2 ohms) to power them with so keep that in mind.

The enclosure is 2.46 CF before driver displacement tuned to 30hz.

I listen to mainly rock from the 90's and some older hip hop along with System of a Down and the like if that helps at all. I'd like to keep the budget for the pair under $500. Any suggestions?

Lets be honest, this has ZERO to do with "SQ"

You want more bass....

Have you tryed applying more power to what you have?

NO..

I ran a pair of JL 12w0 (oldschool for sure) rated @125wrms per, with 250wrms per, for years and they LOVED it...

If you haven't figured it out, the numbers printed on your subs are "nominal"

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets be honest, this has ZERO to do with "SQ"

You want more bass....

Have you tryed applying more power to what you have?

NO..

I ran a pair of JL 12w0 (oldschool for sure) rated @125wrms per, with 250wrms per, for years and they LOVED it...

If you haven't figured it out, the numbers printed on your subs are "nominal"
Sure I want more bass. No, I have not tried giving them more power but I am more than willing to. I realize those numbers are nominal and they'll probably take more power, but looking at them, I don't think they'll take a whole lot more. I think I have already decided to give them to my brother for Christmas anyways though so I really would like suggestions for other subs. Funny you should mention the 12w0's. That's exactly what my current amp was powering before I bought it from a friend of mine.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm considering the Dayton HO and TC sounds Epic but haven't found much feedback on the TC's. Would the Epic's do well in an enclosure this size?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Epics need about 1.2 for a sealed pair and 2.4 to get 35 vented. The port needed is comically large though. The Epic is a sub that needs to be sealed, but it plays deep when it is.

If you're interested, I actually have 2 Epic 10's that I am considering selling.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Epics need about 1.2 for a sealed pair and 2.4 to get 35 vented. The port needed is comically large though. The Epic is a sub that needs to be sealed, but it plays deep when it is.

If you're interested, I actually have 2 Epic 10's that I am considering selling.
I guess I need to model them in WinISD. My box is 2.46 before driver displacement tuned to 30 Hz. Out of curiosity for the time being though, how much would you let them go for?

·
Registered
27 Posts
$300 plus shipping seems fair. I think that's about $90ish off new iirc? They've never been powered in a full install, only played with in the house and test fitted in some boxes.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
if the Daytons model out, they're a great sub..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the Daytons model out, they're a great sub..
I'll definitely model it and see how it looks. I'm pretty sure they are only available in single 4 ohm though which means I could only feed them 225 each if I stick with the Alpine amp. I'm not sure how happy they would be with that power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts