DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for brands and models of 5-channel amps with the folowing specs:

- 18db or 24db/octave subwoofer lowpass built in.

- 400 - 600 watts on the sub channel.

- Not expensive stuff - priced under the JL amps.

- No fan - I don't want to hear whirrrrrr during quiet passages!

- Low noise is important - hopefully no noise.

Please list any current models you can think of.

I don't want to add any processors to the system to get the steep lowpass, and don't have the capability in the head unit. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Zed audio Leviathan III

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More -

- Not expensive stuff - priced under the JL amps.

- No fan - I don't want to hear whirrrrrr during quiet passages!

- Low noise is important - hopefully no noise.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
so you want high power, no noise.....steep slope, flexible biult in crossovers and it cant cost any money? good luck :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What ohm do you need the sub channel at?
- That's a good question. I would prefer 2-ohm minimum stable sub channel, but would consider 1-ohm. See, I'm not really that fussy. I'm not bad I'm just drawn that way :D

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
- LOL!, yes, I'm a cheap old coot :laugh:
lol, I understand saving money where you can. but if you buy a $300 amplifier, it is not likely to have or do all the things you want. couple hundred more and you will be happy with it and not have to replace the cheaper one later. :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
not a big fan of massive audio amplifiers. I know alot of people use em. but any company that rates thier amplifiers in RMS and "MAX RMS", I just run away. max RMS is a made up term and has no place in real audio.

that fact and alot of thier amplifiers have S/N ratios in the 70s :eek:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll say it again Massive NX5
24db x-over
800x1 @ 1 ohm
400x1 @ 2 ohm
$300-$350
- Any noise or reliability problems with the Massive NX5? The price and features are there, but something bugs me about that amp. Then again, maybe I should not be so picky at a price like that.

Also, anything similar to that but with a little lower wattage and price? That's a little more power than I need.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not a big fan of massive audio amplifiers. I know alot of people use em. but any company that rates thier amplifiers in RMS and "MAX RMS", I just run away. max RMS is a made up term and has no place in real audio.

that fact and alot of thier amplifiers have S/N ratios in the 70s :eek:
- Yes, "Max" and "RMS" are two different things altogether. That is a shady term alright.

The S/N - as long as I can't hear the difference in the real world, I don't care. Before I buy the amp I want to read about user reports and the noise floor from actual users.

Very good points Minbari. Is your user name from B5?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Very good points Minbari. Is your user name from B5?
ya, big fan of the show. been my username for all kinds of games etc for years, so I just never changed it, lol.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Check the DIYMA archives. Some people weren't happy about the NX amps. And based on independent tests they don't do the rated power, the speaker channels at least.

I personally would recommend Kenwood XR-5S or the new, upcoming Alpine PDX, the one rated for 4x100+500.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Hmm.i think genesis profile 5 but not sure of slope on that.Also sub channel is lower then you want but it is genesis watts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check the DIYMA archives. Some people weren't happy about the NX amps. And based on independent tests they don't do the rated power, the speaker channels at least.

I personally would recommend Kenwood XR-5S or the new, upcoming Alpine PDX, the one rated for 4x100+500.
The Kenwood x-over for sub is 12db. The op asked for 18 or 24.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts