DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been working on my system for a while now, and finally decided to go active. My question is, for the front stage, should I use the same 4 channel amp to run the mids and tweeters, or can I use a different lower powered amp for the tweeters?

Here is my layout so far-

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

HU - Pioneer Avic Z140BH
Front speakers: Hertz 165 hsk 6.5" components
Rear speakers: Alpine SPR-17S 6.5" components
Sub: single JL Audio 12w6v2-D4
4ch amp - Alpine PDX-F6 (4x150)
Sub amp - Alpine PDX-1.1000 (1x1000)

I'm adding an Audio Control DQXS. It has 6 inputs (matches the outputs on the Pioneer) and 8 outputs.

It has 2 for the front highs, 2 for the front lows, 2 for the rear, and 2 for the sub.

In order to get the max from this I think I need to ditch the front passive crossovers, and install another amp for the front tweeters, or use the Alpine-F6 for all 4 front components and a different amp for the rear speakers.

Since there is only one pair of outputs for the rear speakers, I assume I need to leave the passive crossovers for that set, right?

But do my tweeters really need 150 watts RMS each? Seems like a waste to me.

I plan on initially playing with the DQXS by ear, and eventually getting it tuned professionally.

If anyone has any advice, sees any thing lacking, or anything else, I would sincerely appreciate hearing your opinion.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I would consider skipping the rear speakers altogether (especially components), and thus forget buying an amp for them. Yes, run active with that unit with the 150x4. The tweeter channels won't be seeing anything near that, as their gain will need to be set low, but it's far from a waste. It's a fully active front stage with only 3 pieces of equipment to fit onto an amp rack (if you're planning to build an amp rack vs. mount stuff under seats and such). Clean and simple is what I like.

I used to run rear fill off the head unit, but I got to where I hated what it did to my sound stage, so I faded it back to front stage only. I can't imagine how bad my sound stage would've been if my rear speakers were receiving higher power than that.

I have a set of Polk DB6501 ran active on a Boston GTA-704 (75 x 4), made possible by a similar crossover (Cache CE/X).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my truck, I have the amps mounted behind the rear seat, to the back wall of the cab. I plan to mount the DQXS there as well...I like the stealth look. All you can see are the Hertz tweeters in the sail panels.

Thank you for your advice...I may just hook up the rear mids to an old amp I have, and delete them if needed.

I like the idea of using the same amp for the front. The pdx is very clean compared to the Rockford Fosgate I used to run.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Keep an open mind and play with the fader and decide for yourself whether anything playing in the rear helps your soundstage or not. In my experience, it pulls the stage into my lap with a little bit of rears playing, and pulls the soundstage into the middle of my car with more faded in. I even tried every configuration I could with time alignment and it still didn't sound as good as the deep and wide frontal stage just my front components could pull off in conjunction with my sub.

You may want to check into whether or not you can play just the mids off your rear speakers' passive crossovers. I think a passive circuit requires a load on all outputs, but I'm not sure. If it works, that will automatically be better than having any high frequencies coming from behind you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was a great piece of advice and it's what I ended up doing - no rear speakers.

I happened to come across another set of Hertz HSK 165's and need to either sell them or install them.

What about putting the mids in the rear doors and the tweets in the factory dash location? I like the idea of the highs being dispersed off the windshield, but I'm concerned it might be overkill up front with 4 tweeters unless I really dial them down.

Maybe just use the mids in the rear doors and shelve the tweeters?

I know this is an old thread...thanks regardless.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts