DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just need some advice on a IB trunk install. Woofers will be 2 AE IBAU 12”s. I’ve asked around a bit but have gotten mixed advice. My car is a 2016 Acura ILX, so not a lot of trunk space. Basically I’m wondering the location and orientation I should install them. One person told me to put them all the way into the trunk, right behind the back seat facing the front of the car, another person told me more towards the center, facing the front, and another person told me it depends lol. Will be getting 700 watts a piece. Front stage consists of HAT L1 ProR2, L4SE’s, and L8SE’s in the kicks. I don’t know if there is a general rule of thumb for small compact sedans, I’m just a bit lost right now

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The big key for IB is that the cabin be sealed from the trunk so that the bass waves from the front of the woofer don’t interact with the back waves. If the two waves interact, you’ll get some cancellation as this is how noise-canceling headphones work, they play a 180 degree wave that cancels the outside noise. Now whether you fire the front of the driver into the back of the seat or the back of the driver into the back of the seat matters not as long as the front wave and back waves are isolated from each other. Persnally, I like having a flat face on the trunk side so I put the magnets against the back seat and put a steel/aluminum speaker grille over the front of the subs to protect from anything in the trunk damaging the cones.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Will be doing the same configuration soon. Only 2 IB10AEs instead potentially. Will be addressing the same issue in my 08 Civic sedan. Which location are you leaning towards?

·
Listener of Music
3,012 Posts
I chose rear deck. Sub orientation has next to nothing to do with sq in IB install. Isolation, power, and baffle stiffness. I didn't want to lose the space behind my seat.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Right, and i would imagine the entire trunk completely or as closely as completely sealed as possible no? Thanks?

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
The thing is, regardless of whether you do rear deck, or behind the seats, both will likely need a baffle. Given that you need a solid baffle behind the rear seats, and you need to beef up the rear deck, I'd rather build the baffle behind the seats and not hang heavy subs from the flimsy rear deck.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Right, and i would imagine the entire trunk completely or as closely as completely sealed as possible no? Thanks?
No, it doesn't matter if the trunk is sealed or not. It's probably better that it isn't. You want the rear wave to dissipate into infinity, not pressurize the trunk.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No, it doesn't matter if the trunk is sealed or not. It's probably better that it isn't. You want the rear wave to dissipate into infinity, not pressurize the trunk.
Hmm ok. So it actually dosent act as a large sealed enclosure then? I mean if youre letting it damp out?

·
Registered
529 Posts
The thing is, regardless of whether you do rear deck, or behind the seats, both will likely need a baffle. Given that you need a solid baffle behind the rear seats, and you need to beef up the rear deck, I'd rather build the baffle behind the seats and not hang heavy subs from the flimsy rear deck.
Was actually looking at 1 of your posts from 2016 where you mention this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Extremely solid baffle and complete wave seperation.
About how many hours do you think a shop should charge to mount a couple of 12s in the rear deck?

I’m glad the op brought this up. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my two si bm12s. I’d prefer to not have a box in the trunk to save room and need the spare accessible. This led me to thinking about going IB.

However, this past Saturday I went to two shops and both recommended against it. One shop said it’s a ton of labor (quoted 30hrs!) since he would have to basically rebuild the whole rear deck, I’d constantly be chasing rattles (duh, I’m adding two subs) and that the sq would be better sealed. The other shop’s guy said he didn’t think he’d heard an IB setup since the 90s, also didn’t think it’d sound as good as sealed.

Another suggestion was to build a sealed box and mount it to the bottom of the deck, but it’d hang down about 6” which would leave the front half of my trunk basically unusable since the total height is only 18”.

It all just left me feeling like I don’t have a choice but to have a box in the trunk which is the less desirable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

·
Listener of Music
3,012 Posts
I thought it took just as much time to strengthen the rear deck and build a simple wave reducing baffle behind the seat as build a nice looking baffle to hold subs and protect cones.

·
Registered
529 Posts
About how many hours do you think a shop should charge to mount a couple of 12s in the rear deck?

I’m glad the op brought this up. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my two si bm12s. I’d prefer to not have a box in the trunk to save room and need the spare accessible. This led me to thinking about going IB.

However, this past Saturday I went to two shops and both recommended against it. One shop said it’s a ton of labor (quoted 30hrs!) since he would have to basically rebuild the whole rear deck, I’d constantly be chasing rattles (duh, I’m adding two subs) and that the sq would be better sealed. The other shop’s guy said he didn’t think he’d heard an IB setup since the 90s, also didn’t think it’d sound as good as sealed.

Another suggestion was to build a sealed box and mount it to the bottom of the deck, but it’d hang down about 6” which would leave the front half of my trunk basically unusable since the total height is only 18”.

It all just left me feeling like I don’t have a choice but to have a box in the trunk which is the less desirable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?
30 hrs?? Wow. Jesus.

·
Listener of Music
3,012 Posts
The IB implemented properly will sound better. No question. However the subs won't get as high. A decent midbass will make that a non-issue.

I only have about 5-6 hours in to my most current and its done expect beauty panels on top and bottom. They will likely take 6-7 hours.

I'm not taking account of equipment install but a good box with just carpet will take four or five hours so an IB is about 3 times that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The IB implemented properly will sound better. No question. However the subs won't get as high. A decent midbass will make that a non-issue.

I only have about 5-6 hours in to my most current and its done expect beauty panels on top and bottom. They will likely take 6-7 hours.

I'm not taking account of equipment install but a good box with just carpet will take four or five hours so an IB is about 3 times that.
When you say sound better?
In what way do you mean? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I only ask because it seems like alot of work. What are the payoffs?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts