DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I bought my car early this year, all 4 stock speakers were crackling and fuzzy. I got a set (4x) of Rockford Fosgate R1653's off a friend in return for some computer help and replaced the stock speakers. I don't remember what size the stock speakers were, but I had to make some modifications to the mounting brackets to get them to fit. In the front, they're no longer mounted to the frame of the door but to the plastic (I think) panel. There's a little bit of isolation but the panel is not stiff at all. In the rear, they're basically open-air, behind a plastic mesh.

The head unit was already aftermarket when I got the car - a Panasonic CQ-RX200U.

-------------

My problem - I need to max the bass output on the head unit before there's any low-end at all, and doing this causes the speakers to distort at an inadequate volume. At first, I was thinking of getting a small amp since the speakers are definitely underpowered, and that might improve the bass response a little, but I'm thinking now of building a small sub box behind the seats. The speakers sound fine as long as I'm not maxing out the bass on the head unit.

I'm not looking to rattle the cars next to me, I just want full range sound, and I'd prefer not to dump too much money into it. I'm hoping to use something like a 6 or 8" woofer with a small dedicated amp... should I get an amp for my other speakers as well? What's the best way to wire it?

The head unit has a sub output in the back, with a digital crossover you can set to 60hz / 80hz / 100hz / 200hz, and I've played with it a bit with a computer sub hooked up to it but it sounded pretty crappy, should I avoid this and just use a real crossover? Maybe put the sub+amp on on the head unit's rear channels and the 4 speakers with a small amp on the front channel?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its sounds you you would greatly benefit from a small 4 channel for the door speakers. That headunit has a 2v preout as well if I recall, so a linedriver to boost and clean the signal may not be a bad idea as well. As far as woofers go, I had great success with the Jl W3 v3 in a small ported box on about 250 watts. You could grab a small 2 channel to take care of that. Thats my 2 cents. Hope I helped you a little.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive taken apart a del so before and I can say that the rear speaker location is a wacky design, If I were in your shoes, I probably wont put any mids/highs there, it sounds weird with sound behind the corner of your seat unless your doing 5.1 theatre imaging(who watches movies in cars anyways). I say ditch the rear, upgrade the Front speakers for higher end stuff, and reinforce the doors, you should be good bass from this. For subs, not really sure how great they'll sound in that isolated trunk. Just what I think, then amps a diff story lolz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not 100%, does the digital crossover apply to the pre-out? I can find no way to turn it off.

That's definitely a thought. Any recommendations for a really cheap 4 channel or 5 channel amp? (or maybe a 4 channel + a second mono/2ch for the sub)? It would be lovely if I could get a sufficient amp for <$100 used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
can you post pics of your del sol? For me personally, and im sure for others who dont know the vehicle layout too well, it would help to see the environment you have to work with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@yong_ly07, you don't think I'll need a small sub if I reinforce the doors? I'm really not sure how I'd go about doing this. Any suggestions?

I was thinking about making some tiny enclosures to bolt to the back of the speakers to see if it'd improve bass since I have no idea what to do with the doors.

Also, someone recommended this amp to me on another forum: AUDIOPIPE APSM-4050 640W 4 Channel Car MINI Amplifier (can't make links yet. but it's ~$90 on amazon), it's supposed to be about 50wx4 RMS @ 4ohms. Is this junk?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going out to take some pics now. I'll pull the door panels off too so you guys can see what I did. (this post is helping me get to 5 so I can post links and pics)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are some pics: http://imageshack.us/g/822/img20111006145457.jpg/

The front speaker mounts are for 5.25's, my 6.5's wouldn't fit so I bolted them to the plastic panel inside. The rear mounts aren't deep enough to accept most any aftermarket speaker (though they are 6.5 stock), so I used zip ties to hold them in place. =/

Generally I knock down the rear speaker volume a little and let the fronts dominate, but I do like having them, it fills the car better.

Those rear compartments are a waste of space IMO, and if I were to make a sub box I'd rip them out and carpet over the metal. Maybe something like this, only with one smaller woofer:

·
Registered
238 Posts
im far from an expert, but I agree about ditching the rears. I have the stock 6x9's in the rear of my 3000gt, and I have been much happier with sq just turning them off.
As reinforcing the doors, how bout gluing a relatively thin piece of mdf (1/2"?) to the back of the plastic door panel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
im far from an expert, but I agree about ditching the rears. I have the stock 6x9's in the rear of my 3000gt, and I have been much happier with sq just turning them off.
As reinforcing the doors, how bout gluing a relatively thin piece of mdf (1/2"?) to the back of the plastic door panel?
What am I trying to achieve? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm relatively new to car audio. Am I trying to create a sealed compartment for the speaker, or just give it something stiff to bolt onto?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a Kenwood amp from the classifieds for my current speakers, now to decide what to do about the speaker mounting and door panels.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What am I trying to achieve? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm relatively new to car audio. Am I trying to create a sealed compartment for the speaker, or just give it something stiff to bolt onto?
You need to give the speaker a solid mounting surface, and you also have to isolate the front of the speaker from the back of the speaker completely as possible. What I mean is that even though you stiffen the panel the speaker is mounted to you need to try to seal the edges of your door panel so that air doesn't leak out around the panel while the speaker plays.

Speakers play sound from the front AND the back. The difference is that the front wave is exactly opposite (out of phase) with the rear wave. Therefore when these two areas are not isolated from each other some of the sound is cancelled out so you can't hear it. I believe this is why you have no bass.

Just an idea, but before you get too much further are you sure you have those front speakers wired in phase? + from deck to + on speakers, and you don't have one speaker switched with + to - ?

Changing the phase of one of your speakers also creates the same problem as not isolating you front and rear waves. In both cases bass response suffers terribly. To test for correct wiring you can fade to the left and listen to your bass response. Then fade to the center, listen to bass reponse, and then to the right. If you have more bass when only one speaker is playing, then your wiring is incorrect. If you never have any bass it's probably your speaker mounting solution. You should have the most bass when both speakers are playing.

I have worked on one of these cars before that the customer invested piles of cash into. It definitely took a great deal of work to get it sound good. He actually used all old school soundstream with two 12's behind his head and separates in the door. What I'm saying is that this might be a challenging install. I know you already own the car, but it's not one I would choose on purpose for an audio install. I would prefer to drive that little thing around every sharp corner and long straight road I could.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm pretty certain they're all wired correctly, though tbh I did switch them back and forth after I did the wiring just to make sure, and I couldn't hear any real difference. I'll work on isolation and giving them solid mounting. Thanks guys, I will likely update this thread with pics once I figure something out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts