DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the benefit of using a marine receiver as opposed to a traditional single din head unit? Or is it best to bypass both and go with a bluetooth receiver or bluetooth amplifier and use your phone?

Im installing six 6 1/2" speakers throughout the boat with a 12" subwoofer in the cuddy cabin, and need direction on the use of 1, or 2 amplifiers. Looking for good, clean, and loud sound with good bass. So far this is all that I have bought:

Skar Audio SK65M 6.5" 2-Way Marine Full Range 320 Watt Coaxial Speakers, Pair (White)

Thank you for any tips, advice, and direction

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
If those are in 3 cabins, then one would need to have separate amps, in order to allow one to power off pairs of speakers...

Reactions: Vehixx

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
passive radiators?

can you clarify?
That's part of his signature. It has nothing to do with your boat install. Why he chose to be a smart a$$ about it I don't know.

Not much difference between a marine receiver and regular. Maybe splash resistant with a clear coated circuit board to help resist humidity / moisture. I had a regular old Clarion car CD player at the helm of my power boat for 18 years. never had a problem with it. But then again, it wasn't getting splashed on either. I also kept the boat in dry rack storage so that may help :).

One thing to be very cautious of is battery drain. Those amps will suck your batteries dry and could leave you stranded on an island 15 miles out. Ask me how I know this :rolleyes:.

Ge0

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Marine rated adds a coating to protect internals from the elements including salt spray and humidity which is a good thing depending on the region. I'm on the Florida coast so that helps here. YMMV.

There's small marine class D amps that pack a punch for the size. When you're sitting still, you don't need the extra power, but while running it definitely would help

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Go on Crutchfield.com and look at some of the marine rated amps that are available. Bayboy is right. You can get a small amp that is easy to conceal that will deliver a hell of a punch. But, you'll pay a little extra if you need the splash resistance.

I had 3 regular old Rockford Fosgate car amps mounted in a floatation device storage compartment on my boat. Like I said, 18 years of service and no problem.

As a matter of fact, the only problems I had were the "marine rated" speakers failing towards the stern of the boat that would receive occasional fresh water splash.

Ge0

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
One thing to be very cautious of is battery drain. Those amps will suck your batteries dry and could leave you stranded on an island 15 miles out. Ask me how I know this :rolleyes:.

Ge0
Hence my suggestion on using 3 amplifiers and it allows being able to switch some of them off.
Other than that, I have little advice to offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts