DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently running a dynaudio esotec 242 which consists of
the md102 tweeter (keeping that!) and a 6.5" midrange/woofer
I'm needing a really great 6.5" or 8" that can play up to 2.2k where my tweets play down to and do it with close to the same vocal accuracy as what I have now. They will be ran active, selling my passive xovers and the mw162's

The midbass is pretty lacking and looking to find a suitable 8" or 6.5" that
can shake my pant leg a bit while maintaining good vocal accuracy.
I was told my current mw162 can take up to 200hrs to break in... I can't wait that long to see. Doors are deadened etc about all I can do already. I had some focal 165v30 anniversary editions and the midbass was pretty decent but I can't buy just the midranges alone. I sent those back because I simply hated the tweeter no matter what I did.

I have considered these:
dynaudio mw172 (8") (can't afford the esotar 6.5")
rainbow kick profi vanadium 6.5"
legatia L8v2 or L8SE 8", even L6 (6.5") if they are decent?
hertz mille ML1600
image dynamics x69 (6x9 midbass)

Have 150w rms for each from a JL600/4

I have pretty large doors depth wise and I think I can get most 8" to fit with a few mods/cutting.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all suggestions!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, forgot to mention I need 4ohm... I wouldn't have the power at 8ohms to run something like that. I have 150w x2 at 4ohms to work with.

I am seriously contemplating legatia L8v2 ... from the hybrid site info it says it can be used as a 2 way... or maybe the L6
the hertz ML1600 6.5"
Rainbow Kicks Vanadium 6.5"

I need something that will play clean up to about 2-2.5k to meet my tweets

The reason I'm scared to try the dyn 8" is because of the terribly long break in period.

any suggestions folks would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention I need 4ohm... I wouldn't have the power at 8ohms to run something like that. I have 150w x2 at 4ohms to work with.

I am seriously contemplating legatia L8v2 ... from the hybrid site info it says it can be used as a 2 way... or maybe the L6
the hertz ML1600 6.5"
Rainbow Kicks Vanadium 6.5"

I need something that will play clean up to about 2-2.5k to meet my tweets

The reason I'm scared to try the dyn 8" is because of the terribly long break in period.

any suggestions folks would be appreciated.
thanks

Considering how much more efficient they are then a 4ohm model, they will prob get louder off of 75 watts at 8 ohms then other 4 ohm 8" at 150 watts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
btw I just checked the frequency response on that B&C and it has a crazy peak
in FR between 1-2k 5db sharp up... Don't know if I would feel comfortable with that...

anyone have experience with the hertz ML1600
legatia L8v2
or possibly even the image dynamics X69 (6x9 midbass)

in a 2 way?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The old ML1600 is great midbass with excelent midrange up to 3khz! Almost good as Dynaudio MD170! Very fast, accurate and neutral sound, cannot play very low 65-70hz 18db is ok

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alrighty... slight change of plans...

I will be using the driver as midbass duty only now from 70hz-250hz (approx)

After alot of research I'm considering these two drivers. 1 is 6.5" the other 8"

18sound 6nd430-4 (4ohm version) 6.5"
pros: literally no extra mods to my doors that I haven't already done :)
could play midrange up high too if I want to experiment with higher xover points :)
great reviews from others
cons: overall output compared to an 8"? :rolleyes:

B&C 8NDL51 (8ohm, high efficiency) 8"
pros: probably Bad-A midbass response :) :)
great reviews from others
cons: heavy door mods, crappy shape to work with on basket :(
not sure how "loud" it will get off of 75w rms, although with said high efficiency it might be surprising

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
215 Posts
People seem to like the Peerless SLS for dedicated midbass. Might also want to look into exodus anarchys for a 6.5" they get loud enough for me (sub is a AA Havoc 15) but I can't compare them for to your other options.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still haven't decided... I ended up getting a pioneer 80prs and went active for the first time so I'm still playing around with that... it made my dyns really sing, although still lacking in the midbass dept. I have plenty of power on hand to power a great midbass in the door. They are pretty solid also as far as vibrations.

I guess my whole hang up is finding a great midbass that will also play my midrange well since it is a 2 way active setup. I'm scared if I find something that plays my midbass tones well that it is going to suck in the the midrange vocal dept... :confused:

Still wanting ppls input if they have any... I'm really leaning towards trying out the 8" B&C to be honest, just don't know how the midrange sounds on those?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was running dual 6.5" boston 6.4s for midbass, and it was still lacking. So,I went on a mission to find midbass. I went to many dealers to demo different sets, and I finally ran into a Dyn dealer. He had the system 260 installed in his car, I listened for 2 minutes, and I handed over my credit card. The 170s had the perfect balance of midbass and midrange to me. It was a night and day improvement over the boston 6.43 setup with an extra midbass.

I would suggest the 172s, and you could have a system 262, essentially. If you go with an mw180, you will be disappointed with the midrange performance. Same with the morel 9" driver. By the way, the 172 and 162 are completely different to me in regards to midbass. There really is not much of a comparison. If you aren't happy with the 172s, you can sell them for a small loss as they tend to hold a good amount of value.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was very helpful. I was wondering about the 172's but unsure if they would sound much different than the 162 sounds now... That is good to hear that the midrange is also quite good on those. I did also think of the 180 or whatever model that was and saw the freq response charts and decided against it, so that was helpful that you backed up my suspicions on that one...

Still dying to know midrange response of a B&C 8" though...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Still wondering about the midrange response of the B&C mentioned just above?

Will any of these play midrange comfortably up to 2.5k in a 2 way setup?

B&C 8ndl51
B&C 8ps21
sundown neo8
selenium 8w4p
Beyma Pro8mi

Kind of not wanting to spend the dough on HAT 8's

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a buddy who is selling some L8v1's, $275 shipped
The V1's sound like shit above 300hz. I know, I had a pair. The V2 and SE models are much more capable midranges. V1 is a dedicated midbass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Still wondering about the midrange response of the B&C mentioned just above?

Will any of these play midrange comfortably up to 2.5k in a 2 way setup?

B&C 8ndl51
B&C 8ps21
sundown neo8
selenium 8w4p
Beyma Pro8mi

Kind of not wanting to spend the dough on HAT 8's
The B&C 8NDL51 won't be clean playing that high. I keep wanting to recommend the illum 7" but they have a breakup between 2 and 3 kHz that I don't like. The midbass is awesome but they just can't reach quite that high cleanly.

BTW- I own both of the drivers referenced and this recommendation comes from my experience using them iin 2 way applications.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts