DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an amp to power my Audiomobile MASS 12" which is 4 ohm SVC. I'm looking for something with around 600 watts rms or higher. I previously had a bridged ESX Q1752 powering the sub. I'm on a very limited budget and want to stay under $250, under $200 would be even better if at all possible. I don't mind a used amp or a basic RF as long as it will hold up. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
2nd the Alpine, also would suggest the very efficient Pioneer Premier PRS amps, the 2ch will bridge a 4ohm load at 600W, no problem.

Actually, there are a LOT of 2ch amps you could buy that would bridge at 600W RMS, but the reason I suggested a PRS (or the PDX mentioned above) is that they will do it in a more efficient manner than an A/B amp running 600W, so you won't be taxing your electrical system as much.

I bought my Pioneer Premier 2100D amp for ~$175 on eBay last year, if I recall correctly. Should do the trick w/ room to spare.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
2nd the Alpine, also would suggest the very efficient Pioneer Premier PRS amps, the 2ch will bridge a 4ohm load at 600W, no problem.

Actually, there are a LOT of 2ch amps you could buy that would bridge at 600W RMS, but the reason I suggested a PRS (or the PDX mentioned above) is that they will do it in a more efficient manner than an A/B amp running 600W, so you won't be taxing your electrical system as much.

I bought my Pioneer Premier 2100D amp for ~$175 on eBay last year, if I recall correctly. Should do the trick w/ room to spare.
x2, but the newer PRS models.

Pioneer Premier PRS-D2200T

·
Registered
727 Posts
PG Xenon 600.1

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
pg xenon 600.1
pdx
kenwood x1r
Pioneer prs

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
get the alpine pdx 600, man they are GOOD AMPS

·
Registered
539 Posts
I got a jl 500/1 that does close to 600 if not more @ 1.5 -4 ohms. $215 shipped.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I would look for a pdx or prs first, just my pick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked all those amps out and I think I like the Alpine, Tonyguy's used JL, or either of the Pioneers. What's the pros and cons between those four amps? There's a big cost spread between those three, I mean a new amp for $159 looks nice, so what's improved on the newer Premier to make it $75 more? Are the JL and Alpine really that much better to justify buying them used, or are they just more expensive due to the name?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Pioneer is ICEpower, as is the Alpine. This means they are VERY efficient, so you have less draw on your electrical system while still sounding great.

The rest is branding, style, shape, etc.

I have used the PRS amps to great success and recommend them regularly. Alpine PDX is a rock-solid.

The JL Audio amp uses a neat technology that matches the power to the impedance, like the PG Xenon's do. The PRS and PDX amps do this to some degree, but not fully. Say you have a 4 ohm load now, but later you swap subs and you have a 1 ohm load, or 2. The JL and Xenon can do all of them without anything swapped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the sound quality, power and reliability between all those amps should be very close?

Does the PDX not come with a remote bass knob? I can't see that it does but can't believe that such a nice amp would overlook such a basic feature...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts