DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My last sub set-up consisted of a 10 Dayton HO in a .75cf ported box with 300wrms. I enjoyed this sub a lot but vehicle changes and space constraints have forced me to changed my sub situation.

My requests for the new sub are as follows-
- Works well in .5cf sealed box
- handle 350rms @ 4ohm or 500rms @ 2ohm
- have a mounting depth of less than 5.25"
- selling price under $200

I listen to a very wide range of music from rap to jazz to rock to classical. The Dayton worked great for my needs in the ported box, but everything I've read says that it "needs" to be in a ported box and that just won't work for my situation.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Polk has a 4ohm dvc version of the 10 inch Polk MM subwoofer. These have good feedback. Alpine's thin Type-R subwoofer has good feedback, but I believe its 4ohm only. I think the reason the vented box for Dayton HO is recommended is because these subwoofers have very low sensitivity. Combined with 4ohm impedance requirement, one needs a relatively robust amplifier to drive these in a sealed box. Otherwise, your box should probably be fine.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i have the dayton ho 15 in a sealed box... by no means does the ho version NEED to be in a ported box. however they do shine in a ported box. the HF series by dayton excels in sealed boxes, but require large boxes.

i went with the ho 15 due to having optimal performance in a small sealed box. went with 15 to have enough boom.

i have no doubt the ho 10 will sound good, so long as u put it in the correct size box

i also recommend the polk MM series. i had two of the 10" (mm1040) sealed and ported. sounded great. polk recommends .66 box though.

i think i might download winisd see which performs better in .5

·
Banned
342 Posts
I got idq v3 for sale

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i say build the .5 box, ur going to need it regardless of sub u use. throw the dayton in there see what you think. according to winisd, the polk and dayton will be pretty much identical.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kicker CVT is nice for a cheap thin mount sub. I have one in work truck powered by 250/1 and works well together. Picked up the sub on CL for 60.00 and cvt with box was 90.00 new

1 - 6 of 6 Posts