DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I hope you can help me. I've been through about 4 different designs now in Sketchup, and I'm not finding anything that will work. I'm looking for about 3 cubes of internal volume, with 4" PVC ports tucked inside. The box is for my Regal, and I'm looking to fire the subwoofer through the rear armrest.

The problem I'm having is that I'm either REALLY wasting space, which isn't really an option (because I'm a new dad and need the room for kid stuff and tools for work), or I don't have enough room for my Adire Brahma 12.

12.5" total diameter, 11.125" cutout, 7.5" depth for sub. Box is limited to 35.5" total length, 16" total height (but requires a massive notch on the forward-upper edge), and a notch on the front face (toward the armrest cutout) for both the sub and the ports).

Do you guys have any suggestions? Being new to Sketchup, I can't figure out how to make a 3D rounded port for PVC. Also, can I get the program to figure out internal displacement?

I attached both a pic and a Sketchup file (added .pdf ending) of what I have now. Can anybody help/make suggestions?

Thanks!
Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's some more development in my box designs. It's not 100% because SketchUp acts strangely...certain things are quite a bit more difficult than with AutoCAD (granted, I haven't used it for over a decade, and only a limited amount before that).

With that said, its pretty close. It has a sorta 'Z' shaped set of ports, but seems like a good design to me. There is enough area from the pseudo-slot loading that it shouldn't act like a bandpass, and the same with the front. Both front wave and back wave have more square inches for wave travel than the Sd, so I think I'm in good shape.

I do not know the exact internal volume on the box yet, but the front-to-back dimension can be adjusted pretty easily in the build phase to increase or decrease box volume and port length at the same time.

The subwoofer in the enclosure was actually designed by me from a few rudimentary measurements and a little bit of 'swag'. I do have this Brahma 12" mocked up for anyone that might like it.

Any feedback? Good idea, bad idea?

Eric

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts