DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nope. Two twelves have more cone area than 1 15 not to mention, the fact that with 2 12's you've got twice the motor and each motor is pushing less cone area. This leads to more displacement total with more motor force and more power handling.

More than likely also you'll have smaller box requirements for the two twelves than the single 15. A "really" good box for an undermotored 15" will be huge compared to the 2 12's total.

Since you can't even find T/S parameters for the Atomic Speakers and they look like the generic Chinese internet import subs. Better to recone it as a 12 and have an overmotored sub that you can build a proper box for than have an undermotored subwoofer that you can't fit in your trunk because the box is too big.

So like I said, get them both reconed as a 12 build the biggest box you can possibly put in your trunk, and then tune for the Fs you can measure free air after break in. Guaranteed loud. And guaranteed to sound like crap.

You want sound quality? Well you might want to start with subwoofers you can actually get the thiele small parameters for.
Okay I'm gonna recone them to 12s then. If PSI emails me back I'll see if their recones are affordable enough for me to do. As far as sound quality, I'm not worried about it one bit. No, the T/S parameters aren't online (which is strange) but all the parts are made in America. They have great customer feedback and I have emailed them asking for the parameters and can get those to you tomorrow when they email me back if you'd like. The subs I have aren't actually Atomic, they are prototype subs made by Shok Industries that were only released to team members and eventually this sub type became the FLO 2k's (and I have verified all that with a Shok Industries employee). So as far as the type of box goes, would you recommend doing a pony wall and sealing off the trunk or would you recommend a different type of box?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a hard time believing either ELE or Atomic Subs really have their components made in America. Atomic's site says assembled in America but that's manufacturing jargon for saying the soft parts are glued down in America while the motor, basket and soft parts are made in China. That's rather commonplace but it's definitely not Made in America, which is a very strictly controlled label to be able to use.

And not posting thiele small parameters for easy access is usually the first sign for me not to buy speakers. Even if you weren't going for SQ you still need them to determine exactly what box you'd need to maximize output. Because what if the box requirement really was too big for you?

Then you're committing yourself to a subwoofer you don't even know you can use.

This is the same situation you're facing now wondering if you should recone to a 15 or a 12. The 15 might be able to give you more output, but if you don't have the specs you don't know if it would give you more output in a box size you can use. Then you do have to fall back on the the safer choice which would be 2 12's. And overmotored subs are a never a problem when going for SPL. That means it'll be more able to take advantage of port gain. So on top of building the largest box you can get away with, my advice would be to also build as large a port area as possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have a hard time believing either ELE or Atomic Subs really have their components made in America. Atomic's site says assembled in America but that's manufacturing jargon for saying the soft parts are glued down in America while the motor, basket and soft parts are made in China. That's rather commonplace but it's definitely not Made in America, which is a very strictly controlled label to be able to use.

And not posting thiele small parameters for easy access is usually the first sign for me not to buy speakers. Even if you weren't going for SQ you still need them to determine exactly what box you'd need to maximize output. Because what if the box requirement really was too big for you?

Then you're committing yourself to a subwoofer you don't even know you can use.

This is the same situation you're facing now wondering if you should recone to a 15 or a 12. The 15 might be able to give you more output, but if you don't have the specs you don't know if it would give you more output in a box size you can use. Then you do have to fall back on the the safer choice which would be 2 12's. And overmotored subs are a never a problem when going for SPL. That means it'll be more able to take advantage of port gain. So on top of building the largest box you can get away with, my advice would be to also build as large a port area as possible.
You're right, Atomic parts probably aren't made in America. But Shok is. Or at least they were (now I'm pretty sure they are made in China) when this sub was built. So the sub isn't some cheap Chinese P.O.S. I just can't use them because the leads are burnt. That's why I'm gonna recone them into 12s and use HDC3 recones. I'm not sure where those are made but I've never heard anything bad about them. Then I will just have to test them. Are you thinking I should just do a ported box? Sub forward port forward or something else?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you're going for maximum output ported or bandpass is the only way to go. Sealed boxes simply can't compete at all to any of the bass reflex boxes in terms of output, they'd require too much power and likely more excursion than those subs can be reconed for.

So if maximum output is what you're after sealed is going to be out of the question.

Generally too if you're in a car with a trunk Ported boxes tend to work best with the port facing up to shoot the bass through the rear shelf, it might also help to remove any rear speakers to let the bass into the cabin directly. Maybe the most efficient is if you have one of those cars that have the center armrest pass through. Then I would say face the port directly through the armrest and the subwoofer facing up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If you're going for maximum output ported or bandpass is the only way to go. Sealed boxes simply can't compete at all to any of the bass reflex boxes in terms of output, they'd require too much power and likely more excursion than those subs can be reconed for.

So if maximum output is what you're after sealed is going to be out of the question.

Generally too if you're in a car with a trunk Ported boxes tend to work best with the port facing up to shoot the bass through the rear shelf, it might also help to remove any rear speakers to let the bass into the cabin directly. Maybe the most efficient is if you have one of those cars that have the center armrest pass through. Then I would say face the port directly through the armrest and the subwoofer facing up.
The back seats of my car lay down so there is a 12" high, 29 inch wide opening between the cabin and the trunk.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.