DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm selling my 12" Tidal Audio (believe it's a copy of the Image Dynamics ID12), and my Phoenix Gold comps (RSD65cs's, got them based off reviews from this site). The Cadence TXA3004 powering it all is going too. For a little budget system, I've been very happy with this setup.

I'm thinking of just doing two of the same sub for an "upgrade". For $80 a piece, can they be beat? I want to stay sealed, and can do about 2.5 cu ft. The Cadence TXA3002 I have laying around is rated at 300w x 2 at 2 ohm, or 600w x 1 at 4 ohm. So that's $160 + box.

For comps I was looking at Massive Audio CK6 Stage V's. Just read a few reviews here, all very positive, and it looks like they can be had for ~$170.

The budget component amp I'm looking at is a Cadence XAH250.2. Rated at 150w x 2 for $100.

I was also gonna go with another budget upgrade with a Cadence CEQ-773 7 band eq for $50. My headunit has a 7 band with different frequencies, so I should be able to play around with the sound quite a bit.

My musical tastes are mostly rock/metal. Most of it is midbass heavy, so I think the comps need to shine there. The parts I've thrown together here total around $500, I'd like to stay around there but can budge some. Let me know if I need to give more info, but I think I've thought of the basics (budget, music tastes, sizes/space). Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I've read a little about HAT, but I'll have to look up German Maestro. Hopefully I can find info because sometimes it's a bit difficult. I've been trying to find any review of the Stage V CK6, but can't find anything yet :surprised:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it seems the HAT Imagine 6.5's are pretty sweet. Looks like almost $80 more than the Massive Audio CK6's, and I'm looking at maybe spending more instead on the amp. So I guess I'm open for upgrade suggestions to the Cadence XAH250.2. But maybe it's solid especially at $100?

One thing that I've always wondered is how much amp's effect SQ, guess I need to look for more info there...only thing I remember from years ago is kind of no real consensus on that topic.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
there is a thread about amps affect on sq. as long the amp makes clean power u shouldnt be able to tell difference

where in tn are u?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
HAT Imagine are not the most well behaved speaker with no tweeter attenuation but they should shine running active. If you take this route, I would say get an 4-channel amplifier and run them active, without an actual active crossover. Put 2.2uF capacitor inline with the tweeter and the woofer can run directly from amplifier channel without a low pass filter. Then down the road, upgrade to this stereo:

DEH-80PRS - <b>NEW!</b> - CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, and Auto Time Alignment | Pioneer Electronics USA

You get 31-band equalizer per side, time alignment, 3-way active crossovers, automatic configuration for all of the above with a calibration microphone. If you do this, this will put you in car 'hi-fi' territory, not the 'mid-fi' like you have been planning ;p

It's more expensive, but you don't need to buy all parts at once.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cruzer, I'm in Jackson, between Nashville and Memphis. In reference to that Cadence amp, I guess I'm wondering their reputation now. Years ago they seemed to be a solid company and all the amps I used sounded good to my untrained ears, but seems like companies are going down all the time.

ZAKOH, that does sound like a good plan. But are you saying you think the Imagine mids could take no low pass at all? That h/u looks awesome. I remember looking in to I think it was the 880prs a few years back and going active. If the suggested price is $420, maybe actual street price will be around $300? To top it all off, I'm not overly pleased with my current h/u and I could also bypass buying an eq. Haha, this forum always convinces you to spend money :laugh:

·
Registered
457 Posts
But are you saying you think the Imagine mids could take no low pass at all?
that is correct, they have a natural roll-off. the manual for them states the frequency at which that occurs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good stuff. I'm kinda torn on CK6's vs the HATS, but the active route with a real headunit is sounding like the way to go for better SQ.

As for 4 ch amps, I'm looking at the Precision Power PPI S580.4 or MB Quart FX4.100. Both 100w x 4 and hopefully both solid. Any thoughts on that much power for either of these comp sets? Thanks for all the advice again guys :)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Good stuff. I'm kinda torn on CK6's vs the HATS, but the active route with a real headunit is sounding like the way to go for better SQ.

As for 4 ch amps, I'm looking at the Precision Power PPI S580.4 or MB Quart FX4.100. Both 100w x 4 and hopefully both solid. Any thoughts on that much power for either of these comp sets? Thanks for all the advice again guys :)
I kind of wonder about the MB Quart FX series amplifiers too. They're very small and inexpensive, kind of like the old MB Quart REF line. I believe they could be the replacement of the discontinued MB Quart REF line. They actually look near identical outside, the control sections, specially with the plastic side brackets taken off the REF4 body. Or it could be that MB Quart shares some of pre-amp section components between several lines, so they look similar. The REF4 measured as one of cleanest amplifiers, and was quite underrated. I have the REF4.80 in my car powering HAT Imagines running active. The PPI Sedona amplifiers are supposed to be decent too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts