DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Go BIG, and if you think an amp will be plenty, go bigger 馃槈

Seriously, it's hard to have too much power available. If you don't use it, or need it, that's fine. Especially for dynamic headroom, with fast spikes of power like with kick drums and such.
Another thing to remember; let's say you have a subwoofer rated for 500 wts RMS..... And you have an amp that says it puts out 500 wts RMS. Heck, let's even say you saw one of the car audio gurus testing said amp, and it put out 527 wts RMS ! Awesome, right ? The problem is, their are several things in real world use (check out impedance drop) that can greatly reduce the amount of actual wattage that makes it to your sub. That proven 500 wt amp, might actually be delivering 250-300 wts to your 500 wt sub.
Generally speaking, a 1000 wt amp will work great with a 500 wt sub, Again it might actually be getting 500-600 wts, and any quality sub can handle slightly more wattage than it's rated for... "Especially" if you set your gains right, and never clip anything. If not, you can still blow that sub on 300 wts.

My 18" sub is rated for 1600 wts RMS, but it does fantastic on my 2400 watt RMS amp (which tested at about 2530 wts.... I'd guess my sub is seeing "an actual" 1600 wts, just as it's rated for.... And I never clip it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
there is no subwoofer just the front and rear speakers. although the ex44 has less total watts it has more per channel vs the larger blade which has more total watts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
also does anyone know how it differentiates between left and right, I dont see that marked anywhere.

Registered
also does anyone know how it differentiates between left and right, I dont see that marked anywhere.
The red RCA 2 and 4 are right and white RCA 1 and 3 are the left input. Match that to the output side. You could use what ever input you wanted as long as it matches your output.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies thus far, i guess is the newer smaller amp with more output per channel better than the larger older design with less power per channel considering I will only be using the four channels.

Registered
there is no subwoofer just the front and rear speakers. although the ex44 has less total watts it has more per channel vs the larger blade which has more total watts.
Well, having a little more power than you need, or will typically use, is still a good thing. But Id say you really need to get just a little sub woofer in there too. Heck, in my car, I just have a little 8" sub woofer, and it "makes" the system. You would be surprised at even the little 6 1/2" subs they have out there now. They use very little space, and can really fill in well below your mids and highs.

Registered
I would get the one that has the slightly larger output. I noticed that both amps are class a/b. At that price point I would look at many of the class D amps. More than likely you will get a smaller footprint, less current draw, and i know some will go back and forth on this but wont be IMO any change in SQ. I myself have been looking at the Pioneer 4 and 5 channel amps, and they seem to get pretty good reviews across the board.

Registered
Supposedly massive amps are overrated, so definitely get the more powerful Amp. Or, go with a different Amp.

Reactions: gtcobra00
1 - 9 of 9 Posts