DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for other posts related to this but I couldn't find anything even similar. I apologize in advance if this is one of those topics that's been discussed over and over.

I have recently pulled out my Pioneer DEX-P99RS to sell and put in a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT. Don't ask. I have my reasons. Anyhow, my questions relate to setting up the crossover points on my Alpine PDX-F4. I have a pair of Hybrid Audio Clarus speakers and I am running the tweeters on the front inputs and the mids on the rear inputs. My problem is that the amp doesn't seem to have a high enough HPF for my tweeters and I don't see how I can do a combination filter for my mids so that I filter out the frequencies being handled by the tweeters and the frequencies being handled by my subs (two Eclipse 86080.4 in a box mounted under the rear deck run by an Alpine PDX-M6). The crossover frequency range is only 30-400hz for both output pairs. I don't want to damage my tweeters by sending too much to them and I really don't want to run the mids with frequencies doubling up in the tweeters. What's the point of that? I know I can use the crossovers that came with the speakers but I wanted to have discrete power to each driver.

Anyway, I admit that I'm fairly inexperienced about all of this but I'm not a complete newbie either. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition to the crossover help needed, I noticed that the audio from the phone and the navigation are coming through my tweeters only. Does that mean that the Z130BT only uses the front channels for these signals? If so then I need to send front only back to the amp and split the signal from there. Can this be done? Does a 4 channel amp allow for one input to be shared betweeen the 4 output channels? If so then all I need to do is remove the rear channel RCAs from the amp right? Or is there a switch or some kind of setting on the amp to tell it to use the signal from the fronts on the rears as well?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Just get the manual from Alpine for it to see if it can run 4ch on one pair of RCA, some amps do it and some don't. If it can't do a tweeter xover it will not work for you anyway, you would need an external xover or the HU to do it. You can't just swap from a HU that can do all that stuff to one that can't with out buying more equipment for the necessary processing. At the least you need an external xover, or a processor, or run them passive....if the HU can't do a 3 way. You should be able to manage the tweeters with passives using the EQ anyway, if the HU has an EQ.

I usually run passives just to eliminate the hassle of more amps and wires and xovers, if I can get away with it....for tweeters. I'd rather run midbass active than tweeters, but yeah sometimes I have to swap tweeters to get what I want. I can't really tell you more as I don't know what way you want to go with this.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm using a Memphis X-03 (IIRC) it is a 3 way crossover that allows for a pass-band mid and separate tweeter output. Haven't had any issues with it, decent enough flexibility. Unfortunately no t/a.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback! This is only temporary until I get a new processor but I figured it would be a good learning experience.

The Z130BT does not have any controls over front/rear outputs at all and the PDX-F4 does not have the ability to combine one input into both outputs. In addition, the PDX-F4 only has crossover capabilities on both front and rear between 30 and 400Hz which is not sufficient for the tweeters. So I will definitely be putting the Clarus crossovers back in and running passive until I get a new processor. I may even sell these amps and get different ones. I don't know yet.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts