DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've asked about those not so long ago.

"Peerless Def6 comps or Vifa P17 woofer + 25NFA"

npdang's reply: "Not really a fan of either of those sets, but if I had to choose I'd go with the Vifa+lpg. I'm not sure if depth is an issue, but a Seas RNX mid would be a better match to the lpg, or one of the Dayton reference drivers."

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that I am looking for something that is already a kit. I don't know where to buy crossovers here in Montreal Canada.

I talked with a few company owners and they say that mix and match with speakers dans crossover usually do a pretty lame install even though all individual components are good. Every aspect of the crossover is made according to speaker response on car situation and to match different tweeter/mid combination so taking just anything will not create that appropriate sound. And told me that he even sometimes downgrade the crossover quality to achieve a perfect sound by reducing certain wire sizes and things like that.

This is why I am a little scared of buying seperate speakers and making a kit.

Thing is that I want something in a price range and looking for the best I can get in that price range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, that's why I'd asked myself, I assumed a kit was designed to work together so it was better than mix & match at the same price.

However the kit is a generic set-up. You could install the tweeters in the kick panels or in the A-pillars firing toward the windshield, the passive crossover you get with a kit will still be the same.

In a custom mix & match setup, you can tailor the crossovers to your specific install.

Obviously that would be hard to do with passive crossovers. Using electronic crossovers, you can adjust depending on the results you get with "generic" setting.

Electronic crossovers are generally more expensive though.

I use an Alpine 9813 headunit, which includes 3 way electronic crossover circuitry, so I don't need anything else as far as crossovers are concerned.

For passive crossovers in Mtl, check out http://www.solen.ca/ in St-Hubert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.